>>REQ:Help:Planetary backlight:Clarification needed Please

>>REQ:Help:Planetary backlight:Clarification needed Please

Post by wigg » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello People,
I know  theres been a recent posting on this and it may have helped me
in an annoying backlight problem I have with a planet test.
Heres what I have:-

1 Planet object ( normals Outward )     Cast shadow
1 Atmosphere object ( 2 Spheres ) ( Normals Flipped ) Recieve Shadow
1 light upper left 150%
1 light lower Right 0%
Ambient 5%
Ray trace on
Trace shadows on

And I get the same results if boh objects are together.

I know whats causing the problem-its the flippped polygons on the
Atmosphere that are catching the Light from the upper left
lightsource.The solution seems to be to remove the flipped normals and
creatte just the part of the atmosphere that I need , although thsi
seems a very haphazard way of working.
I've also played about with various surface settings but just can't
seem to get rid of it.

Any help given would be warmly welcomed.

A picture of what I have and what I want will be posted to the
Binaries NG.
'A' Is what I have at present
'B' has been quickly touched up to show you what I'm looking to
achieve.

Seizure,

WIGGZ.

PS And for those about o pounce..It is a legitimate version of LW5.5.
" Bright Light Bright Light "

Post by wigg » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hello People,
I know  theres been a recent posting on this and it may have helped me
in an annoying backlight problem I have with a planet test.
Heres what I have:-

1 Planet object ( normals Outward )     Cast shadow
1 Atmosphere object ( 2 Spheres ) ( Normals Flipped ) Recieve Shadow
1 light upper left 150%
1 light lower Right 0%
Ambient 5%
Ray trace on
Trace shadows on

And I get the same results if boh objects are together.

I know whats causing the problem-its the flippped polygons on the
Atmosphere that are catching the Light from the upper left
lightsource.The solution seems to be to remove the flipped normals and
creatte just the part of the atmosphere that I need , although thsi
seems a very haphazard way of working.
I've also played about with various surface settings but just can't
seem to get rid of it.

Any help given would be warmly welcomed.

A picture of what I have and what I want will be posted to the
Binaries NG.
'A' Is what I have at present
'B' has been quickly touched up to show you what I'm looking to
achieve.

Seizure,

WIGGZ.

PS And for those about o pounce..It is a legitimate version of LW5.5.
" Bright Light Bright Light "

>>REQ:Help:Planetary backlight:Clarification needed Please

Post by Mark Dunaki » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

So, Wiggs, did you ever get my email about this? I sent you some samples
and tried to get you some info, but you have not yet responded. If for
some reason you don't want to write me back, I can give you the main
thing that I noticed was wrong. You NEED to make sure that you set the
Sharp Terminator to be checked. This will basically get rid of the
backlite problems you are having. Also I chilled out on the diffuse for
the Earth and the other textures. I also did notice that the `ol rutine
of flipping the polys the other way, is basically a crock. I left mine
alone and then things looked better. I also posted a sample or two on
the binaries NG. =

So email me if you are really still interested. I CAN help you, but you
need to get back to me.................md :)

> =
> Hello People,
> I know  theres been a recent posting on this and it may have helped me
> in an annoying backlight problem I have with a planet test.
> Heres what I have:-
> =
> 1 Planet object ( normals Outward )     Cast shadow
> 1 Atmosphere object ( 2 Spheres ) ( Normals Flipped ) Recieve Shadow
> 1 light upper left 150%
> 1 light lower Right 0%
> Ambient 5%
> Ray trace on
> Trace shadows on
> =
> And I get the same results if boh objects are together.
> =
> I know whats causing the problem-its the flippped polygons on the
> Atmosphere that are catching the Light from the upper left
> lightsource.The solution seems to be to remove the flipped normals and
> creatte just the part of the atmosphere that I need , although thsi
> seems a very haphazard way of working.
> I've also played about with various surface settings but just can't
> seem to get rid of it.
> =
> Any help given would be warmly welcomed.
> =
> A picture of what I have and what I want will be posted to the
> Binaries NG.
> 'A' Is what I have at present
> 'B' has been quickly touched up to show you what I'm looking to
> achieve.
> =
> Seizure,
> =
> WIGGZ.
> =
> PS And for those about o pounce..It is a legitimate version of LW5.5.
> " Bright Light Bright Light "

-- =

=D0=CF=11=E0=A1=B1=1A=E1

1. >>REQ:Help:Planetary backlight:Clarification needed Please

[...]

2. I just saw the new Video Toaster NT!!!!

3. HELP PLEASE Need AVI >>>>>>>>>>>> FLI

4. WANTED :GRAPHIC DESIGNERS (LONDON)

5. ***NEED HELP**** AVI >>>>>>>>>>> FLI

6. Printing TreeView ??

8. OT: Data Management at Pixar

9. Please >>>Video Post help (much wringing of hands)

10. >>>>>>>>need help with CalComp tablet<<<<<<<<<<<

11. HELP FOR 3DS4 >>>>>K6

12. Need Help ***** AVI >>>>>>>> FLI

13. another way of explaining this>>>>>>>>>>>>>>