Lightwave versus Maya

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Wil Mobberle » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00



I do not like threads which end up with loyal camps slagging off each
other's software but I would like to hear a few informed impressions
about Maya if anyone would care to email me directly.

I'm not looking for defences of Lightwave. It is in a different price
league and comparisons are unfair. However, I would like to know whether
anyone has worked on a project using both, how transferable elements are
and whether the transition from Lightwave to the Maya way of doing
things is painful.

Many thanks.
--
Wil Mobberley  - 3D graphic artist
Web site: http://www.mobydick.demon.co.uk
------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by we » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00




Quote:

>I do not like threads which end up with loyal camps slagging off each
>other's software but I would like to hear a few informed impressions
>about Maya if anyone would care to email me directly.

>I'm not looking for defences of Lightwave. It is in a different price
>league and comparisons are unfair. However, I would like to know whether
>anyone has worked on a project using both, how transferable elements are
>and whether the transition from Lightwave to the Maya way of doing
>things is painful.

>Many thanks.
>--
>Wil Mobberley  - 3D graphic artist
>Web site: http://www.mobydick.demon.co.uk
>------------------------------------------------------------

From my limited experience with Maya I'll tell you this. It has more in common
with Soft Image or Alias than it does Lightwave. If you come from a Soft or
Alias background I think you'll have an easier time picking it up. Some
advantages right off the bat, you can weight points and work with true nurbs.
Both a big plus although I'm hoping LW 6.0 with have real nurbs too. For
Character Animation, Maya has the reputation certainly over Lightwave although
I've seen some wonderful Character Animation done with Lightwave too so
depending on what you're trying to do, the weak link in the chain might be the
animator and not the package.

You can import (Alias) obj or dxf objects in Maya but like any other transfer,
you'll have to set up your image maps again if your coming from Lightwave. As
far as scenes go, there are some packages like "Polychange" or "Interchange"
where you can in theory transfer scene information from Lightwave to Alias and
then into Maya (later versions might support Maya directly, not sure).  To go
from Maya to Alias to Lightwave you should be able to translate polygons (no
nurbs of course) and possibly your camera path if you use a third party
conversion program like the ones mentioned above. I've never seen it done
though.

In my experience, those I've known who've been faced with the possibility of
exchanging data between packages (beyond polygon meshes) have  decided against
it. It just seems easier to stick to one package. So I'd say there's a fair
degree of pain involved. You could of course still do different scenes or
backgrounds with different packages.

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by SelRecor » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Dear Wil,

The main difference with Maya is what they call 'Digital Puppetry'

In LightWave we have to load in a character and animate it for that scene
whereas in Maya once you have created that character and all his/her little
attributes (how they walk, mannerisms etc.) you simply load the character in
and most of the hard work is done. If you get Maya then look seriously at
getting Artisan too.

Funnily enough I'm off ot the Maya Workflow Seminar in London today - if I ever
get off the computer and get some sleep that is!

Yours,
Richard :o)

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by je.. » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> I've used LW since version 4.0 beta on the P.C, I quickly realised that it
> really was not suitable for skinned characters, I had much more success back
> then (and still do) with Animation Master. I have used Maya for two years
> from pre beta and it is the best character animation software out there in my
> personal opinion, if price is no object of course.

        No shit: what a surprise: a $30,000 package outperforms a $2K package.

Quote:> your subdivision amounts on your models to suit your machines horsepower.  I
> could go on for quite a bit about it, there is no comparison....hell buy
> both!.

        Did you, with your own money, buy both?  Good on you, if so.
 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Smegg » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00


It's not $30,000. Maya base is $6,000. The fx and artisan options are just
that, options and not necessary to everyday operations in 3d, they are
luxuries, especially artisan (nice as it is).

--

Smeggy
Better Smeg than dead :]
www.mindspring.com/~orsino/
GWB3d - * 3d artist for hire.

For Tutorials, Plugins, Scripts, Maps and Meshes....follow the links below.

http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/



>> I've used LW since version 4.0 beta on the P.C, I quickly realised that
it
>> really was not suitable for skinned characters, I had much more success
back
>> then (and still do) with Animation Master. I have used Maya for two years
>> from pre beta and it is the best character animation software out there
in my
>> personal opinion, if price is no object of course.

> No shit: what a surprise: a $30,000 package outperforms a $2K package.

>> your subdivision amounts on your models to suit your machines horsepower.
I
>> could go on for quite a bit about it, there is no comparison....hell buy
>> both!.

> Did you, with your own money, buy both?  Good on you, if so.

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Smegg » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Would it catch you for what it cost before? nor me;)

$7,500 is a totally different matter though, I may well jump ship at that
price :]

--

Smeggy
Better Smeg than dead :]
www.mindspring.com/~orsino/
GWB3d - * 3d artist for hire.



>>It's not $30,000. Maya base is $6,000. The fx and artisan options are just
>>that, options and not necessary to everyday operations in 3d, they are
>>luxuries, especially artisan (nice as it is).

>I just got this quote from a salesman today, check this out:

>The Maya Complete includes:

>       Maya Animation
>       Maya Modeling
>       Maya Rendering
>       Maya IPR
>       Maya F/X (previously a $6000 advanced module)
>       Maya Artisan (previously a $6000 advanced module)
>       Maya Fusion Lite (previously not included in Maya)
>       EPS Support

>Maya IPR (interactive photo realistic rendering) will be available with
>Maya Version 2.0, currently scheduled for June release.

>Maya Fusion Lite is an exciting product resulting from a new strategic
>relationship between Alias|Wavefront and Eyon Technology. Fusion is a 2D
>compositing product written by Eyon Technology. Together with Eyon, A/W is
>creating an integrated Maya 2D NT compositing environment. The Maya
>Complete solution will include a "Lite" version of this technology which
>will provide basic functionality.

>This new solution will be available for delivery in mid February.

>Maya Complete List Price - $7,500.00 U.S. (This package was formerly
>$19,500)--

>End Quote,

>I guess Maya isn't catching on.

>Regards,

>Rob

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Ro » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>It's not $30,000. Maya base is $6,000. The fx and artisan options are just
>that, options and not necessary to everyday operations in 3d, they are
>luxuries, especially artisan (nice as it is).

I just got this quote from a salesman today, check this out:

The Maya Complete includes:

       Maya Animation
       Maya Modeling
       Maya Rendering
       Maya IPR
       Maya F/X (previously a $6000 advanced module)
       Maya Artisan (previously a $6000 advanced module)
       Maya Fusion Lite (previously not included in Maya)
       EPS Support

Maya IPR (interactive photo realistic rendering) will be available with
Maya Version 2.0, currently scheduled for June release.

Maya Fusion Lite is an exciting product resulting from a new strategic
relationship between Alias|Wavefront and Eyon Technology. Fusion is a 2D
compositing product written by Eyon Technology. Together with Eyon, A/W is
creating an integrated Maya 2D NT compositing environment. The Maya
Complete solution will include a "Lite" version of this technology which
will provide basic functionality.

This new solution will be available for delivery in mid February.

Maya Complete List Price - $7,500.00 U.S. (This package was formerly
$19,500)--

End Quote,

I guess Maya isn't catching on.

Regards,

Rob

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by InstntGu » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00


<I just got this quote from a salesman today, check this out: The Maya Complete
includes: Maya Animation, Maya Modeling, Maya Rendering, Maya IPR, Maya F/X
(previously a $6000 advanced module), Maya Artisan (previously a $6000 advanced
module), Maya Fusion Lite (previously not included in Maya), EPS Support>

<Maya IPR (interactive photo realistic rendering) will be available with
Maya Version 2.0, currently scheduled for June release.>

<Maya Complete List Price - $7,500.00 U.S. (This package was formerly
$19,500)--

<End Quote,>

<I guess Maya isn't catching on.>

Rob,

That's astounding. I've heard rumors that SGI is doing well with Maya for SGI
IRIX platforms, but they're having *real* problems selling the NT version --
and that they'd make deals that essentially bring the base package down close
to MAX/Lightwave levels.

Another rumored problem is that they're having trouble keeping the code
congruent between IRIX and NT platforms; some modules aren't being developed or
released at the same speed on both platforms (which makes porting files between
the two an issue.)

-- Jon

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Jim » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Anyone know if this Maya beast runs on an Alpha? If so soooold!

>Would it catch you for what it cost before? nor me;)

>$7,500 is a totally different matter though, I may well jump ship at that
>price :]

>--

>Smeggy
>Better Smeg than dead :]
>www.mindspring.com/~orsino/
>GWB3d - * 3d artist for hire.




- Show quoted text -



>>>It's not $30,000. Maya base is $6,000. The fx and artisan options are
just
>>>that, options and not necessary to everyday operations in 3d, they are
>>>luxuries, especially artisan (nice as it is).

>>I just got this quote from a salesman today, check this out:

>>The Maya Complete includes:

>>       Maya Animation
>>       Maya Modeling
>>       Maya Rendering
>>       Maya IPR
>>       Maya F/X (previously a $6000 advanced module)
>>       Maya Artisan (previously a $6000 advanced module)
>>       Maya Fusion Lite (previously not included in Maya)
>>       EPS Support

>>Maya IPR (interactive photo realistic rendering) will be available with
>>Maya Version 2.0, currently scheduled for June release.

>>Maya Fusion Lite is an exciting product resulting from a new strategic
>>relationship between Alias|Wavefront and Eyon Technology. Fusion is a 2D
>>compositing product written by Eyon Technology. Together with Eyon, A/W is
>>creating an integrated Maya 2D NT compositing environment. The Maya
>>Complete solution will include a "Lite" version of this technology which
>>will provide basic functionality.

>>This new solution will be available for delivery in mid February.

>>Maya Complete List Price - $7,500.00 U.S. (This package was formerly
>>$19,500)--

>>End Quote,

>>I guess Maya isn't catching on.

>>Regards,

>>Rob

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Ro » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>Anyone know if this Maya beast runs on an Alpha? If so soooold!

>>Would it catch you for what it cost before? nor me;)

>>$7,500 is a totally different matter though, I may well jump ship at that
>>price :]

Snip

According to the sales rep - platform of your choice.
Regards,

Rob

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by je.. » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> Would it catch you for what it cost before? nor me;)

> $7,500 is a totally different matter though, I may well jump ship at that
> price :]

> --

> Smeggy

        Are ALL of these elements NT compatibile, or are some IRIX?
Quote:> >I just got this quote from a salesman today, check this out:

> >The Maya Complete includes:

> >       Maya Animation
> >       Maya Modeling
> >       Maya Rendering
> >       Maya IPR
> >       Maya F/X (previously a $6000 advanced module)
> >       Maya Artisan (previously a $6000 advanced module)
> >       Maya Fusion Lite (previously not included in Maya)
> >       EPS Support

> >Maya IPR (interactive photo realistic rendering) will be available with
> >Maya Version 2.0, currently scheduled for June release.

> >Maya Fusion Lite is an exciting product resulting from a new strategic
> >relationship between Alias|Wavefront and Eyon Technology. Fusion is a 2D
> >compositing product written by Eyon Technology. Together with Eyon, A/W is
> >creating an integrated Maya 2D NT compositing environment. The Maya
> >Complete solution will include a "Lite" version of this technology which
> >will provide basic functionality.

> >This new solution will be available for delivery in mid February.

> >Maya Complete List Price - $7,500.00 U.S. (This package was formerly
> >$19,500)--

> >End Quote,

> >I guess Maya isn't catching on.

> >Regards,

> >Rob

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Ro » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00




>> Would it catch you for what it cost before? nor me;)

>> $7,500 is a totally different matter though, I may well jump ship at that
>> price :]

>> --

>> Smeggy

>    Are ALL of these elements NT compatibile, or are some IRIX?

From what I understood, these are all NT compatibile - however there is an IRIX only solution called
"Maya Infinity" which will retail for $16,000 version 2.0..(this package used to list for $44,000).
Regards,

Rob

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by je.. » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> Another rumored problem is that they're having trouble keeping the code
> congruent between IRIX and NT platforms; some modules aren't being developed or
> released at the same speed on both platforms (which makes porting files between
> the two an issue.)

> -- Jon

        Gee, even SGI has those problems.  Maybe NewTek will get some slack
now.

/

 
 
 

Lightwave versus Maya

Post by Jame » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00


It was $30,000 at first release, Smeg.

James



Quote:>It's not $30,000. Maya base is $6,000. The fx and artisan options are just
>that, options and not necessary to everyday operations in 3d, they are
>luxuries, especially artisan (nice as it is).

 
 
 

1. 3dsMAX versus Lightwave

Hi,

        I've been looking at the various different kinds of 3d programs available,
and I've kinda centered on 3dsMAX or Lightwave. The only problem is that I
don't know which one to pick.
        Would someone give me a solid reason for picking one over the other? Which
program is better? Which is the more powerful, without having to add a ton
of plugins?

?

Thanx

2. Lexmark Optra R+ vs HP 5 MP on a Mac?

3. Lightwave Versus 3dsMAX

4. Maple to POV converter

5. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

6. Volume data -> NURBS surface?

7. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 for multimedia

8. Povray for Ultrix

9. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

10. Re(2): MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

11. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC f