Which book to choose?

Post by niXt » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Ok, I've read through the manuals, LightWave PowerGuide and Inside
LightWave 3D. Which is the next book about LW I should add to my
library? :-)

Thanks in advance//
niXter

Which book to choose?

Post by Fish » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Ok, I've read through the manuals, LightWave PowerGuide and Inside
> LightWave 3D. Which is the next book about LW I should add to my
> library? :-)

> Thanks in advance//
> niXter

Try Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth. Great reference for modeling
chacters.

best ,
--
RONALD VAN VEMDEN

*FISH LABORATORIES
3D animation & computergraphics
http://www.*fish.nl

Which book to choose?

Post by cresshea » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

ther's a new one out soon by the guy's who do newtechniques site..plus the
the tips and hints
book is a good bet even though it's abit dated now....also the photoreal
book...
go check amazon thru my site .....
http://www.veryComputer.com/

stee+catz

>well i can say inside lightwave is not a good book. i don't know about
power
>guide but inside does not worth to buy. dan ablan is a real pro. but the
>book was not good. power guide has written by him too. so i recommend
search
>for another lightwave book.

>>> Ok, I've read through the manuals, LightWave PowerGuide and Inside
>>> LightWave 3D. Which is the next book about LW I should add to my
>>> library? :-)

>>> Thanks in advance//
>>> niXter

>>Try Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth. Great reference for modeling
>>chacters.

>>best ,
>>--
>>RONALD VAN VEMDEN

>>*FISH LABORATORIES
>>3D animation & computergraphics
>>http://www.*fish.nl

Which book to choose?

--

WOW- I saw this response saying that Inside Lightwave by Dan Ablan-published
by New Riders-is no good. I MUST add my own opinion here. This is a

Other references:

Doug Kellys book- Published by Ventana- Lightwave 3D 5 Character Animation-
is the definitive guide to do CA in Lightwave. Whilst this book does not
incorporate the latest tools in LW 5.6, it is still an essential reference
book and many techniques, in here, are a necessity even in the newer
versions of LW.

Alan Chans books are good sources however are now a little out of date. Once
again- still heaps of useful information. PhotorealisticFX, The FX kit for
LW were put out by Lightspeed. I hope Alan can get some time for a new book
in the future although I know he is a very busy man these days. Fingers
crossed.

3D Creature Workshop- Bill Flemming- Published-Charles River Media-Slightly
traitorous book as it does exercises for LW, Max and Animation Master 5. I
prefer to think Bill has a preference for LW as it is dealt with first :-)
This book deals with creating creatures and the methodology that can be
applied to any character animating. This is not as thorough as Doug Kellys
book- it is much more specific. I found this book to be slightly ambiguous
in some areas, however you will learn techniques that will simply make your
whole life simpler.

There are other reference materials as well: The old Lightwavin magazine
which has now become Keyframe (this magazine has been solely dedicated to LW
and, whilst not as many pages as some magazines, generally worth much more-
as the tutorials, hints and tips are very dedicated. This magazine is in
it's infancy and I'm sure, will progress dramatically over the next couple
of issues. Note- it has very little to NO sponsorship so there are very few
ads in it.

Newtechniques- This magazine has excellent support directly from Newtek.
This mag covers not only LW but Flyer, and moving in to Aura etc. Definitely
worthwhile.

Other sources of reference are the Desktop Images Video collection. I
personally have all of them (yes they cost me a pretty penny :-)
I have no regrets about buying any of these tapes. I have gleaned at least 1
useful piece of information from every tape. With these tiny bits of
additional info, I can safely say my Modeling and Animation speeds have been
increased by at least 500%. I can Model stuff in a day that I know takes
other people a week (please note this is not a boast- I have very little
skill and attribute my successes to all the info I have attained from the
collective geniuses in this field. I hope, one day, to be able to contribute
back in to the LW pool).

My initial reaction was to offer an opposing opinion about Inside Lightwave
as I believe strongly in the product- otherwise I wouldn't recommend it to
my students!). I have added some other major reference sources however these
are by no means all of them. You will find the talents of Mike DeSantis who
created an excellent publication called "throw me a Bone". This is a topic
that defies everyone initially. Other people such as Tim Wilson with his
Humanoid construction which has been around for years, have been vital to
the LW community (note this is not a book it is a human object for
animation. I mention it because it has assisted MANY LW people). If I have
failed to mention anyone (and I know I have) then I apologise. There are a
massive number of LW resources and just to finish off, I would like to
recommend www.flay.com This site is my first port of call when I need to
find a Lightwave resource (not to take anything away from all the others.
You will, more than likely, FIND all of the others by starting here.

Sorry to be long winded. I hope this is of benefit to more than just the
original person who asked about resources.

Cheers people

-------------------
Darren Thompson
Lightwave Technical Support Division for New Magic Australia
--------------------
Hours          9:00-5:30 Mon-Fri EST

Ph.              +61 3 9723 4650
--------------------

Which book to choose?

Post by Chong Househol » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Doug Kellys book- Published by Ventana- Lightwave 3D 5 Character Animation-
>is the definitive guide to do CA in Lightwave. Whilst this book does not
>incorporate the latest tools in LW 5.6, it is still an essential reference
>book and many techniques, in here, are a necessity even in the newer
>versions of LW.

The update is currently being published by Coriolis (Coriolis bought out
Ventura a few months back, y'see) and includes LW5.6 tools and even 3DS Max
and SI. And it's still value for money!

T Urbvan

Which book to choose?

Post by niXt » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

DT> Sorry to be long winded. I hope this is of benefit to more than
DT> just the original person who asked about resources.

Thanks Darren, for the very informative post. Helped me alot!

// niXter

1. BRYCE 3D books: Which one to choose?

Hi, I'm just learning how to use Bryce 3D (Win version), and I feel that the
learning curve
with the original manual is very steep. I've seen two books (available at
amazon.com) about
Bryce:

Bryce 3d F/X : Push Your Skills to the Limit to Create Phenomenal Natural
                    Landscapes and 3d Worlds - Sherry London; Paperback

The Bryce 3d Handbooks - Shamms Mortier; Paperback

I'm interested in learning how to use it and squeeze it, and also in good
examples (i.e.
good examples on the CD-ROM) and post-production (post-rendering) techniques
with some programs ala Photoshop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks and best regards

--
/////////  http://alvaro.ericsson.se/~emefedo  \\\\\\\\\\\\

|_ _ ._ ._  _.._  _| _   _| _    _|_ _ | ------------------
| (/_|  | |(_|| |(_|(_) (_|(_)|_| |_(/_| IMHO my HO is MINE

2. what's metadata?

3. help choosing book?

4. eyecandy

5. help choosing video cards??

6. Warning! -- SONY SUBSTANDARD SERVICE

7. Need help choosing editing software

8. Am I missing something about open GL?

9. Help me choose a draw program

10. Be careful choosing ATI for high-end graphics

11. Choose HTML network colours

12. Help choose scanner!