Virtual stuntmen - "traditional" mocap becomes obsolete

Virtual stuntmen - "traditional" mocap becomes obsolete

Post by cgfx » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 04:47:47

Looks like the job of a stunt man is going by the wayside plus
decreasing the need for manual character animation in many areas:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20030623/stuntman.html

At first, it appears to be a combination of mocap data combined with
ragdoll physics but the demos on the product page show it is much
more. It can combine recorded mocap with real time generated dynamics
plus it can create its own mocap data. The example of a horse being
blown up and tossed pretty much explains what is going on because
there is no way to bungie harness a horse in a mocap studio. Looks
like this is going to kill Kaydara and some other tools.

http://www.naturalmotion.com

(check out the demo page movies)

Virtual stuntmen - "traditional" mocap becomes obsolete

Post by Kevin Carric » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:26:59

Very cool... and that will take place of performance in many instances. I
wonder what the Stuntman's Union talks about at their meetings these days?
:)

Kevin
www.skylightdi.com

Post by Lee Gabe » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:43:00

> Looks like this is going to kill Kaydara and some other tools.

Yeah, umm... NOT.

For stunts, I can see it's usefulness, but it still takes a human to put the
human element into character animation.

--
All the best, Lee Gabel
Luna Seven Imagery * www.lunaseven.com

Post by Ronald Step » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:56:50

> > Looks like this is going to kill Kaydara and some other tools.

> Yeah, umm... NOT.

> For stunts, I can see it's usefulness, but it still takes a human to
put the
> human element into character animation.

*cough* final fantasy *cough*

Post by Lee Gabe » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:47:40

> > > Looks like this is going to kill Kaydara and some other tools.

> > Yeah, umm... NOT.

> > For stunts, I can see it's usefulness, but it still takes a human to
>  put the
> > human element into character animation.

> *cough* final fantasy *cough*

Exactly...

--
All the best, Lee Gabel
Luna Seven Imagery * www.lunaseven.com
BC B&Bs Only! * www.pixsell.bc.ca/bb
250.472.8516

Virtual stuntmen - "traditional" mocap becomes obsolete

Post by Kevin Carric » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:56:00

I guess that might depend on the limits of AI technology (no doubt for many
stunts and crowd-building it's arrived already), and what the filmmaker's
after in the long-run. Do you want stylized "animation" per se... or more of
a "reality simulation" for your characters?

And what about AI layered on top of stock mo-cap? Again, in the reality
department, those choices could soon be infinite.

Kevin
www.skylightdi.com

Quote:

> For stunts, I can see it's usefulness, but it still takes a human to put
the
> human element into character animation.

1. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

Does anyone have a problem using PhotoShop 3.  I have alien skin filters
and Kai's Power Tools and yet if I use the spheroid designer in Kai's Power
Tools and then try to add a drop shadow to it using alien skin, PhotoShop
crashes.  Has anyone got a solution to this problem.  It's really bugging
me (pun not intentional).

Yours Pete

2. GRAPHIC ARTIST NEEDED

3. Motion Plugin "Mocap.p"

4. Stupid MAC HEAD exposed! (HELP! WHAT SHOULD I BUY?)

5. "doom" might become a movie

6. Vertical text in Windows 3.05

7. BOOK: "Becoming a Computer Animator"

8. cubeview

9. "Fake" virtual reality

10. "Virtual Painter" plug-in

11. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

12. "fake" virtual reality footage