SoftQuadro4

Post by edde » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:19:37

Does anyone know if the SoftQuadro4 "patch" for the Geforce 4 cards works
with the 43.45 drivers or newer?

I know it was confirmed to work with drivers upto 41.09, but the article I
read was written before the 43.45 and 44.03 drivers.
(http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html)

SoftQuadro4

Post by Robert Martin » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:15:49

Quote:> Does anyone know if the SoftQuadro4 "patch" for the Geforce 4 cards works
> with the 43.45 drivers or newer?

It works with 43.45, havn't tried later versions yet.

--
And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed American
people: Your enemy is not surrounding your country, your enemy is

SoftQuadro4

Post by edde » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:06:57

Thanks Robert!
I use the 43.45's since they are supposed to be better than the 44.03's
anyway.

I know that the Softquadro can make a BIG improvement in opengl apps.
Have you seen anywhere if there is a negative impact on games?
Also, I suppose if there was, it wouldnt affect Directx performance?

> > Does anyone know if the SoftQuadro4 "patch" for the Geforce 4 cards
works
> > with the 43.45 drivers or newer?

> It works with 43.45, havn't tried later versions yet.

> --
> And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed American
> people: Your enemy is not surrounding your country, your enemy is
> *ruling* your country

SoftQuadro4

Post by Robert Martin » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:26:35

Quote:> Thanks Robert!
> I use the 43.45's since they are supposed to be better than the 44.03's
> anyway.

> I know that the Softquadro can make a BIG improvement in opengl apps.
> Have you seen anywhere if there is a negative impact on games?
> Also, I suppose if there was, it wouldnt affect Directx performance?

I didn't notice a difference in terms of game performance.
SoftQuadro should be activated by default, if you ask me :)

--
And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed American
people: Your enemy is not surrounding your country, your enemy is
*ruling* your country

SoftQuadro4

Post by Ronald Step » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:50:35

Quote:> And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed American
> people: Your enemy is not surrounding your country, your enemy is
> *ruling* your country

Yeah, right.  You might want to check your posts for factual
content...

SoftQuadro4

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:39:15

> > Thanks Robert!
> > I use the 43.45's since they are supposed to be better than the 44.03's
> > anyway.

> > I know that the Softquadro can make a BIG improvement in opengl apps.
> > Have you seen anywhere if there is a negative impact on games?
> > Also, I suppose if there was, it wouldnt affect Directx performance?

> I didn't notice a difference in terms of game performance.
> SoftQuadro should be activated by default, if you ask me :)

What does SQ bring to the table in terms of proformance boost?

I thought it was just...  well, I'll wait for the answer...

                                                            O :-)

SoftQuadro4

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:00:10

> > And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed American
> > people: Your enemy is not surrounding your country, your enemy is
> > *ruling* your country

> Yeah, right.  You might want to check your posts for factual
> content...

Oh com'on Ron, that tag line is obviously meant to be humorous
or troll bait...  Either way...   Let's talk about SoftQuadro
and maybe Robert will get sick of the joke and remove it.
By impeachment... LOL!    Err, Uhh, no wait...

                                                 O :-)

SoftQuadro4

Post by edde » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:25:07

Check here:
You will see a big jump in performance with Softquadro4. It's as fast as the
real Quadros on most things. A little slower on a couple things.
http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sq42e.html

> > > Thanks Robert!
> > > I use the 43.45's since they are supposed to be better than the
44.03's
> > > anyway.

> > > I know that the Softquadro can make a BIG improvement in opengl apps.
> > > Have you seen anywhere if there is a negative impact on games?
> > > Also, I suppose if there was, it wouldnt affect Directx performance?

> > I didn't notice a difference in terms of game performance.
> > SoftQuadro should be activated by default, if you ask me :)

> What does SQ bring to the table in terms of proformance boost?

> I thought it was just...  well, I'll wait for the answer...

>                                                             O :-)

SoftQuadro4

Post by edde » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:06:32

Well, I tried the Softquadro4 on my MSI Ti4400.
It installed perfectly and showed my card as a Quadro4 750xgl.

However, when I tried to benchmark it, SpecviewPerf 6 froze up on most
tests.
One test I did get to run actually showed a small drop in performance.
So, I am back to running it as a good ol Ti4400.
Perhaps it didnt like the 43.45 drivers? Not sure.

Oh well, the performance of my Ti4400 has yet to let me down, in Lightwave,
or games, so Im not too disappointed.
I'm eyeing the new 5900Ultra though, but jeez it's SO expensive! So much for
competition keeping prices low! :)

> Check here:
> You will see a big jump in performance with Softquadro4. It's as fast as
the
> real Quadros on most things. A little slower on a couple things.
> http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sq42e.html

> 44.03's

> > > I didn't notice a difference in terms of game performance.
> > > SoftQuadro should be activated by default, if you ask me :)

> > What does SQ bring to the table in terms of proformance boost?

> > I thought it was just...  well, I'll wait for the answer...

> >                                                             O :-)

SoftQuadro4

Post by DarkScienc » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 08:44:09

Quote:> Well, I tried the Softquadro4 on my MSI Ti4400.
> It installed perfectly and showed my card as a Quadro4 750xgl.

> However, when I tried to benchmark it, SpecviewPerf 6 froze up on most
> tests.

And it will too.  Remember that unlike previous Quadro chipsets, the Quadro4 is
different from its GeForce4 counterpart.  The GeForce4 is actually lacking a few of
the hardware features found on the Quadro this time around (same applies to the FX
line).  These couple lacking features are provided in software, however seem to be
quite buggy.  SoftQuadro does not get along well with XSI and Pro/E and other apps
that try to make use of multiple hardware overlay planes or hardware AA'd
lines/stenciled lines.

Quote:> One test I did get to run actually showed a small drop in performance.
> So, I am back to running it as a good ol Ti4400.
> Perhaps it didnt like the 43.45 drivers? Not sure.

It performs about like this with previous drivers too.  SoftQuadro can be of use
for some applications...  I think it actually might speed up Lightwave a bit and
I've read mixed reports about Maya4 (don't know about Maya5).  It destroys game
performance in every instance I've witnessed games running with it.

Quadro drivers (which are able to run with SoftQuadro) are optimized differently
than regulare GeForce drivers.  They are not better, just different with a
different purpose in mind.  If you run mostly OpenGL and more professional
applications with very little OpenGL * you could see a benefit by running
SoftQuadro.  However, if your OpenGL applications make use of the functions that
are not integrated into the GeForce hardware (overlay planes, AA lines, stencil
lines, stencil bufffer, etc..), then it will *and/or crash.

Quote:> Oh well, the performance of my Ti4400 has yet to let me down, in Lightwave,
> or games, so Im not too disappointed.
> I'm eyeing the new 5900Ultra though, but jeez it's SO expensive! So much for
> competition keeping prices low! :)

What competition?  ...That's the problem.  The closest is ATI, but while their
specs are impressive on paper, they have yet to truly deliver anything close to
what those cards should be able to do (with the exception of a few games). And
their OpenGL performance and support is still poor in comparison to nVidia and
3DLabs.  ATI has improved their drivers and the cards do now work with more
applications like Lightwave, but I still wouldn't recommend them to any serious
user and don't even think about using ATI with XSI or other larger OpenGL
applications.  You're just asking for trouble there...

--
- Jeff Kilgroe
- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience

SoftQuadro4

Post by edde » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:35:25

Thanks for the info :)
As far as * goes, there is very close competition between ATI and
Nvidia.
The latest 9700 and 9800 series are extremely good for games.
Some sites show the 9800Pro as the fastest * card, some show the 5900U
as the fastest.
It seems that alot of nvidia gamers are switching to ATI because of
price/perfomance/image quality.
It seems ATI HAS finally got their act together regarding drivers, but only
for games.
But, video card prices now are so much more now than they were a few years
ago when there was no competition at all for Nvidia. The 5900U costs
$600-$700 CDN right now. A few years ago the top end * card from Nvidia
was around $450. I thought that competition would have brought prices down
the way competition has helped keep cpu prices down.

But, like you said, the ATI cards appear to suck at pro opengl. I've seen
benches where the Ti4600 is alot faster at pro opengl than even the ATI
Firegl cards.