Particle Storm - constraining particles

Post by John Zer » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Anybody have any ideas about how to make a particle group stay inside a pipe
object?

I've got a group set up in PS that's supposed to flow along an elbow-shaped
pipe, but I keep getting stray particles that break out and fly around. Plus,
the constraint only seems to last until the bend in the pipe, after which the
particles all fly off in a spray.

I've tried Gravity (can't move it around), Collision Detection (seems to wear
off), Flocking & Swarming (they still fly around). Am I doing it wrong, or is
there another way?

--
John Zero
-  -  -  -

http://rampages.onramp.net/~jzero

Particle Storm - constraining particles

Post by Shadow » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Anybody have any ideas about how to make a particle group stay inside a pipe
>object?

Try setting you sampling rate higher, I think it's in the first menu.
OA

Animator for Sale

Particle Storm - constraining particles

Post by John Zer » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> >Anybody have any ideas about how to make a particle group stay inside a pipe
> >object?

> Try setting you sampling rate higher, I think it's in the first menu.

Sorry, I don't think Particle Storm has a Sampling Rate, at least not that I can
find.

Maybe I need to clarify: The effect I'm shooting for is one where a constant
stream of particles flows inside and through a pipe system. The particles should
not leave the inside of the pipe geometry, but should bounce off and around the
interior when they hit the wall.

The closest example I've come across is the one in the PStorm tutorials, the last
one, where you create a water flow that goes down and off a riverbed object. This
one uses gravity and collision to make the particles want to go down, but they
hit the bed surface first. What I need is an effect like that, only with a
cylindrical pipe instead of a flat surface. The flow also needs to round a corner
or two while it's going along.

I suspect that the solution here is one invloving geometry of the pipe object,
motion paths, something.

--
John Zero
-  -  -  -

Post by Danny Brae » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Sorry, I don't think Particle Storm has a Sampling Rate, at least not
> that I can
> find.

I was planning to write.....read the F# manual.............but then I
realised I could also just
reveal to you that under the button 'project' there is an 'oversampling
factor' input.

Have fun,

--
Danny Braet
Senior Digital Artist

www.stationxstudios.com

=== Never has been owed so much, to so many, by so few ===

                                         a Winston Churchill hack

Particle Storm - constraining particles

Post by marco » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

John Zero escribi:

Quote:> Maybe I need to clarify: The effect I'm shooting for is one where a constant
> stream of particles flows inside and through a pipe system. The particles should
> not leave the inside of the pipe geometry, but should bounce off and around the
> interior when they hit the wall.

> The closest example I've come across is the one in the PStorm tutorials, the last
> one, where you create a water flow that goes down and off a riverbed object. This
> one uses gravity and collision to make the particles want to go down, but they
> hit the bed surface first. What I need is an effect like that, only with a
> cylindrical pipe instead of a flat surface. The flow also needs to round a corner
> or two while it's going along.

> I suspect that the solution here is one invloving geometry of the pipe object,
> motion paths, something.

What you need here is not PStorm ... it's RealFlow. RealFlow has been designed
especifically for these flow situations. You'll find more information at:

   http://www.realflow.com

where you could also download a free demo version. Take a look at the gallery
and you'll find lots of flowing, splashing water.

Besides, RealFlow's unique adaptive collision detection engine won't let the
particles go through the pipes, even if the object/particles are moving/rotating
at supersonic speeds. We have put a huge amount of research effort into this
wonderful, rock solid collision subsystem, and are still improving it.

There should be a new beta version today in the www site, RealFlow 1.07 beta.

Regards,
Marcos.

Particle Storm - constraining particles

Post by CC3 » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Just did this type of project using Pstorm and had the same problems but
overcame them.  Project I did had about two dozen emitters with thousands of
particles.

Two ways to do it.

1)  build a pipe object stand-in that has just the walls you need to direct the
particles.  Make sure the object is 2-ply, surfaces inside and out.  Setup the
project in pstorm and when there are stray particels, use a collision detection
box and patch up the leaky area.

2)  make a curve in modeler that you want the particles to follow.  Rail clone
a bunch of muli-surface planes along the path in the direction of the particle
flow.  Make sure the normals face in the flow direction.  Load this object into
pstorm as an emitter.  Set the death-wish pretty low and you should get a real
good appearance of particle flow through a pipe.

hope this helps.

TCCookF/X

1. Particle Storm - how to reflect particles

Hi

How to force reflection surface to reflect particles from PS ???
Or how to force particles to become reflected by reflection surfaces ???

I'm applying small objects to particles, next PS generates SEQUENCE of lwo
and pso files
how to manage them in layout (there is no word in instruction about this) ?

Regards
Bartek

2. Text: Help Me, please!

3. Particle plug-ins: Sparks or Particle Storm?

4. break sign on y-axis

5. Adv. Particle Question-particles emiting particles

6. Saving Icon from a picturebox

7. Particles, particles particles

8. transparent Textures?

9. Particle Storm 2 IN-STOCK!!

10. Problem with Particle Storm in LightWave

11. FS Lightwave V5 and Particle Storm

12. Need Particle Storm

13. particle storm