Inside LW7 Bone tutorial error?

Post by Seattle Eri » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:36:51

I'm tracking this down AWSpeak, but is there an error in Inside
LW7's "Snowman" bones tutorial? It states that welding the two base
points of two bones together will make the first one selected the
child of the second one, but that status is not confirmed in the
Skelegon Tree panel.

Also, it sure would be nice if that damn panel were mode-less.

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

Inside LW7 Bone tutorial error?

Post by Tesselato » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:40:32

Dan keeps a site (and an ML) just for questions
like this.  Complete with corrections and everything.

Post by Seattle Eri » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:56:45

> Dan keeps a site (and an ML) just for questions
> like this.  Complete with corrections and everything.

    Yeah, the sites (all reachable from http://www.veryComputer.com/ ) are a
hoot.  Dick Van*, a LW user!  Who knew?

    Didn't see the mailing list though.  Thanks, Tess.

Post by Tesselato » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:29:41

> > Dan keeps a site (and an ML) just for questions
> > like this.  Complete with corrections and everything.

>     Yeah, the sites (all reachable from http://www.veryComputer.com/ ) are a
> hoot.  Dick Van*, a LW user!  Who knew?

>     Didn't see the mailing list though.  Thanks, Tess.

NP Bro.

Email Dan and ask him about registering your book -- the top-secret "extra"
tutorial you get -- And how to access the discussion boards available for
Book Owners.

Yeah,  Dick Van* (DVD) started out on the Amiga version of Video Toaster.
I Believe he got into it about the time 2.0 was released.  It was before the
Flyer I know for sure.  It was weird...  After learning that almost every
time I fired up my Toaster I started humming random bars from Marry Popins:

    Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious -- If you say it loud enough you'll
    always sound precious...

Hehehee...

Post by Seattle Eri » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:01:48

> Email Dan and ask him about registering your book -- the top-secret "extra"
> tutorial you get -- And how to access the discussion boards available for
> Book Owners.

    BTW, I did check the Errata before posting--- either I'm doing it wrong or nobody has
noticed it.

Quote:>     Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious -- If you say it loud enough you'll
>     always sound precious...

    Uhhh, unless you're slamming the song, it's "precocious", not precious................

Eric

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:23:58

Quote:> >     Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious -- If you say it loud enough you'll
> >     always sound precious...

>     Uhhh, unless you're slamming the song, it's "precocious", not precious................

It is?  Gollum is going to be very disapointed to hear that...   :P

Post by Ronald Step » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:09:57

Quote:

> > >     Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious -- If you say it loud
enough you'll
> > >     always sound precious...

> >     Uhhh, unless you're slamming the song, it's "precocious", not

precious................

Quote:

> It is?  Gollum is going to be very disapointed to hear that...   :P

Yep, its prec.... preco.... what he said..

Post by Seattle Eri » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:23:12

> enough you'll

> > >     Uhhh, unless you're slamming the song, it's "precocious", not
> precious................

> > It is?  Gollum is going to be very disapointed to hear that...   :P

> Yep, its prec.... preco.... what he said..

    I cheated, and used my spell-checker to get close.......

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

1. Inside LW5.5 - Cloning bone tutorial - the missing bits

Hi Y'all
Found my description of the "missing bits" for the cloning bone tutorial
in Dan Ablans Inside LW5.5
So here it is.......

Okay - as an update to my previous post, I've done this in a bit more
detail, a couple
of items were missing. I'll also dumb it down a bit - not that I think
you're all dim
<g> - just It *is* a confusing thing the first time. I got a scene from
Mr Ablan
himself - it still took a couple of stabs to get it right.  Okay - orft
we go...

Set your content to be the area containing the CD files from the book
"Inside
LightWave 5.5" by our good friend Dan Ablan.

Load the "TempEye" scene from Ch13 sub-dir of the InsideLW5.5 cd.
The jellybean is the active object - Choose 'B' for bones, downarrow
twice to select
the 'ChestBone'
 - Hit Enter twice to keyframe it at frame zero, then make the same
keyframe at frame
30, (press Enter, type 30, hit enter again).
Now, select 'rotate' from the mouse menu, 'n' for numeric, enter -25 in
heading, 45 in
pitch and 0 in bank, press Enter.
Make a keframe for these values at frame 15.

(IMPORTANT - it is vital that you set all motion / twists etc for the
jellybean using
bones *before* you clone the object).

Go into the Objects panel, select "clone object" and press Enter to
accept a single
clone, (we'll stick to 1 eye for now - Cyclops rule ok! <g>).

Select JellyBean(2) as the current object - then select "replace object"
and choose
the eyeball object fro mthe Ch13 sub-dir, close the objects panel.
Your eye object will load in the lower part of the jellybean.

Okay - select the Eye as the current object in the main layout window (
'O' for
objects and it should be the current item).
Press 'B' for bones go into the skeleton panel (p) and deactivate all
bones for this
object.
Press 'O' for objects, choose 'move' from the mouse menu, 'n' for
numeric
Put X/Y/Z values of -6cm, 6m, -1m respectively and make a keyframe for
the eye object
at this location.
Now 'B' for bones - ChestBone should be you're current bone - if it
isn't, select it.
Move the chest bone so it overlays the chestbone of the jellybean
object, (X/Y/Z
values of 7cm, -98cm, -1.54m respectively).
Activate the bone ('r') but *DO NOT* make a keyframe for it!

Press 'O' for objects
Set X/Y/Z for the EYE object as 0,3.45m,0 and make a keyframe at zero
for the eye
object.
Now press RightArrow / LeftArrow to update the view - the eye object
will hop into
it's correct place.

The eye will now track the jellybean object - note though, any changes
you make to the
jellybean bones motion will not be matched by the eye - you will have to
clear the eye
and re-clone the jellybean as above.

I performed these steps in LW as I typed this out - so there should be
no problems, if
there is - e-mail me privately.
Anyways, hope this clears stuff up,  ...good luck!
-Colkai

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colkai

2. DENEBA

3. Inside Lightwave 3D - Cloning Bone Tutorial Help

4. Character Tutorials

5. Good Bones + Bones PRO tutorial.

6. WireFrame Express

7. Bones, bones, bones, and MORE BONES

8. Curtain Tutorial for LW7.5

9. BONES BONES AND BONES?? NEED HELP

10. Help with city tutorial for Inside Lightwave 7!

11. Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help