Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Post by Ed Averil » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Ok, I've been looking at Other Options instead of coughing up
major dollars for 3DS MAX.  Lightwave has a good renderer,
comes with all the functionality I could want, but...I can't find
anything that indicates whether or not I have poly-reduction
tools!  I need to crank out low-poly models for a DirectX
game, and 3DS MAX does this (but is _SERIOUS_
overkill for the task).  Can anyone point me in the direction
of information on the Lightwave modellers ability to merge
faces, make faces coplanar, weld vertices, etc?  Short of
buying a copy first to find out if it'll do it, that is...and no,
I'd rather not warez a copy to see if it'll do it.  I'm hopeful
someone here can pass on the info...

..ed..

Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Post by Matthew Bastia » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Lightwave will do all the things that you mention.

>Ok, I've been looking at Other Options instead of coughing up
>major dollars for 3DS MAX.  Lightwave has a good renderer,
>comes with all the functionality I could want, but...I can't find
>anything that indicates whether or not I have poly-reduction
>tools!  I need to crank out low-poly models for a DirectX
>game, and 3DS MAX does this (but is _SERIOUS_
>overkill for the task).  Can anyone point me in the direction
>of information on the Lightwave modellers ability to merge
>faces, make faces coplanar, weld vertices, etc?  Short of
>buying a copy first to find out if it'll do it, that is...and no,
>I'd rather not warez a copy to see if it'll do it.  I'm hopeful
>someone here can pass on the info...

>..ed..

Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Post by (Alchemy » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

 http://www.access.digex.net/~erniew  <---Ernie Wright's page has a
plugin called "Decimate" which works nicely.

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:07:50 -0800, "Ed Averill"

>Ok, I've been looking at Other Options instead of coughing up
>major dollars for 3DS MAX.  Lightwave has a good renderer,
>comes with all the functionality I could want, but...I can't find
>anything that indicates whether or not I have poly-reduction
>tools!  I need to crank out low-poly models for a DirectX
>game, and 3DS MAX does this (but is _SERIOUS_
>overkill for the task).  Can anyone point me in the direction
>of information on the Lightwave modellers ability to merge
>faces, make faces coplanar, weld vertices, etc?  Short of
>buying a copy first to find out if it'll do it, that is...and no,
>I'd rather not warez a copy to see if it'll do it.  I'm hopeful
>someone here can pass on the info...

>..ed..

Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Post by Ed Averil » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question!  Looks like it's
worth my time to grab a copy of LightWave.  I found someone who
owns a copy who has successfully exported Lightwave objects to
.X format and brought them into a .X viewer, which is close to the
last question I have on it (the last one has to do with doing animation
in the modeller and whether or not that animation is exported to the
.X DirectX file, but I know the scene, if exported to 3DS, will contain
the appropriate animation keys).

..ed..

Post by Ernie Wrigh » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>  http://www.access.digex.net/~erniew  <---Ernie Wright's page has a
> plugin called "Decimate" which works nicely.

You can get this plug-in from Marvin Landis at

   http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/

My site only has a pointer to Marvin's.

- Ernie                              http://www.access.digex.net/~erniew

Post by Chris O'Rile » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Ok, I've been looking at Other Options instead of coughing up
>major dollars for 3DS MAX.  Lightwave has a good renderer,
>comes with all the functionality I could want, but...I can't find
>anything that indicates whether or not I have poly-reduction
>tools!  I need to crank out low-poly models for a DirectX
>game, and 3DS MAX does this (but is _SERIOUS_
>overkill for the task).  Can anyone point me in the direction
>of information on the Lightwave modellers ability to merge
>faces, make faces coplanar, weld vertices, etc?  Short of
>buying a copy first to find out if it'll do it, that is...and no,
>I'd rather not warez a copy to see if it'll do it.  I'm hopeful
>someone here can pass on the info...

>..ed..

Yes, LightWave does have several tools for reducing Polygons. You can merge
and weld points, as well as Polygons simply by selecting them and hitting
the correct buttons. While LightWave does have an automatic "Reduce
Polygons" plugin, like anything "automatic" it often gives undesirable
results. So most, if not all, of your polygon reduction in LW will be done
manually. On the plus side, this gives you total control over where the
reduction takes place. As an example, I recently shaved over 3300 Polygons
from a model, with *absolutely* no chance in appearance.

-Chris

Post by Marvin Landi » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>  http://www.access.digex.net/~erniew  <---Ernie Wright's page has a
> plugin called "Decimate" which works nicely.

I'm not sure Decimate is on any of Ernie's pages. However you can find
Decimate at:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/decimate.html

I've also just finished up another polygon reduction plugin called
qemLOSS (look for the announcement in another thread, which I'll post in
just a few minutes).

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss.html

--
Marvin Landis
WWW Page:       http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/marvinl.html

Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Post by Darren Thompso » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Modeler has a number of tools/plugins for polygon/point reduction. If you
have an object, feel free to contact us and we will modify it for you as a
demonstration.
--
Darren Thompson
Delta Concepts

Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Post by (Alchemy » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Sorry Ernie, I guess it is right to give credit where due....
Your page has been a great help to me, so it came to mind first.
I will do better next time                  ;T....Bob

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:02:37 -0500, Ernie Wright

Post by Paul Oberlande » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >Ok, I've been looking at Other Options instead of coughing up
> >major dollars for 3DS MAX.  Lightwave has a good renderer,
> >comes with all the functionality I could want, but...I can't find
> >anything that indicates whether or not I have poly-reduction
> >tools!  I need to crank out low-poly models for a DirectX
> >game, and 3DS MAX does this (but is _SERIOUS_
> >overkill for the task).  Can anyone point me in the direction
> >of information on the Lightwave modellers ability to merge
> >faces, make faces coplanar, weld vertices, etc?  Short of
> >buying a copy first to find out if it'll do it, that is...and no,
> >I'd rather not warez a copy to see if it'll do it.  I'm hopeful
> >someone here can pass on the info...

> >..ed..

> Yes, LightWave does have several tools for reducing Polygons. You can merge
> and weld points, as well as Polygons simply by selecting them and hitting
> the correct buttons. While LightWave does have an automatic "Reduce
> Polygons" plugin, like anything "automatic" it often gives undesirable
> results. So most, if not all, of your polygon reduction in LW will be done
> manually. On the plus side, this gives you total control over where the
> reduction takes place. As an example, I recently shaved over 3300 Polygons
> from a model, with *absolutely* no chance in appearance.

Don't forget the Decimate plugin on the Pontari website.  It's free (I
think Marvin Landis wrote the original and Pontari ported it to Intel).
It does a realy good job reducing 3 point polys(doesn't work on quads).

Paul

--

"The greater the diameter of your knowledge, the
greater the circumference of your ignorance..."

Post by J. Eric Char » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >anything that indicates whether or not I have poly-reduction
> >tools!  I need to crank out low-poly models for a DirectX
> >game, and 3DS MAX does this (but is _SERIOUS_
> >overkill for the task).  Can anyone point me in the direction
> >of information on the Lightwave modellers ability to merge
> >faces, make faces coplanar, weld vertices, etc?  Short of
> >buying a copy first to find out if it'll do it, that is...and no,
> >I'd rather not warez a copy to see if it'll do it.  I'm hopeful
> >someone here can pass on the info...

> >..ed..

> Yes, LightWave does have several tools for reducing Polygons. You can merge
> and weld points, as well as Polygons simply by selecting them and hitting
> the correct buttons. While LightWave does have an automatic "Reduce
> Polygons" plugin, like anything "automatic" it often gives undesirable
> results. So most, if not all, of your polygon reduction in LW will be done
> manually. On the plus side, this gives you total control over where the
> reduction takes place. As an example, I recently shaved over 3300 Polygons
> from a model, with *absolutely* no chance in appearance.

> -Chris

        It's also rather intrinsically efficient, so you get them free.

        Marvin Landis just compiled a freebie polyreduction plugin too.

**   "It's a sad thing that a family can be torn apart by something  **
**               as simple as a pack of wild dogs."                  **
**   Shooting, Gaffing, and Animation for the End of the Millenium   **
*************************** Seattle ***********************************

Post by Marvin Landi » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Don't forget the Decimate plugin on the Pontari website.  It's free
> (I think Marvin Landis wrote the original and Pontari ported it to
> Intel). It does a realy good job reducing 3 point polys(doesn't work
> on quads).

Although Decimate (and qemLOSS) really does triangle reduction, they
will ATTEMPT to reduce objects with n-sided polygons. Of course to do
this, both plugins triple every polygon in the object before starting on
the reduction stage. You are correct in that most of the time with an
object that contained mostly quads, Decimate was seldom able to reduce
the object down to a lesser number of triangles than the original object
had quads. Not much polygon reduction there :-).

However, qemLOSS is much better at reducing objects with quads. Most
objects will reduce to the user specified number of triangles by using
the default settings of qemLOSS. Of course there may be a few problems
with the reduction, which are detailed in the HTML documentation (the
Lightwave Cow object is abused in my examples :-), so you will want to
read the documentation carefully. But overall, I think most people are
going to like qemLOSS better than Decimate for reducing polygons in
their Lightwave objects.

Here is the URL again, for those of you that missed it the first time:

Post by Ernie Wrigh » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Your page has been a great help to me, so it came to mind first.

Well, since you put it that way...

- Ernie                              http://www.access.digex.net/~erniew

Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Post by Emmanuel Hen » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Paul hat zu "Re: Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?" geschrieben....

PO> > Yes, LightWave does have several tools for reducing Polygons. You can merge
PO> > and weld points, as well as Polygons simply by selecting them and hitting
PO> > the correct buttons. While LightWave does have an automatic "Reduce
PO> > Polygons" plugin, like anything "automatic" it often gives undesirable
PO> > results. So most, if not all, of your polygon reduction in LW will be done
PO> > manually. On the plus side, this gives you total control over where the
PO> > reduction takes place. As an example, I recently shaved over 3300 Polygons
PO> > from a model, with *absolutely* no chance in appearance.
PO>
PO> Don't forget the Decimate plugin on the Pontari website.  It's free (I
PO> think Marvin Landis wrote the original and Pontari ported it to Intel).
PO> It does a realy good job reducing 3 point polys(doesn't work on quads).

Is that also available for Amiga, does anybody know perhaps ?

Nieder mit dem Hochschulrahmengesetz !
Bye,

Emmanuel, Team *AMIGA*, Producer of PHOENIX, Surfin` the LightWave!
Visit the PHOENIX Site under:    http://www.xgw.fi/~slice/ftales/
"I`ve seen things You people wouldn`t believe...
 Attack ships on fire off shoulder of orion...
 I watched seabeams glitter in the dark near Tannhaeuser gate...
 All those...moments will be lost in time...like tears...
 in...the..rain."

Post by Marvin Landi » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Is that also available for Amiga, does anybody know perhaps ?

I'm afraid not. I have tried to port some of my plugins to the Amiga,
and have had mixed success. I can almost guarantee Decimate could never
be ported, since it requires the VTK library for compilation, and I
can't imagine it will ever be available on the Amiga (I would love for
some ingenious Amiga programmers to prove me wrong though :-).

There is more of a possibility that qemLOSS could be ported. However, it
would take some work, as the code is C++ and uses templates, which is a
feature not supported by the SAS C++ compiler. But the last C++ plugin I
tried to port to the Amiga (DEMScape) compiled fine, but I was never
able to get it to load into LW. And many other Amiga programmers grabbed
the code and made an attempt, but nobody that I am aware of had any
success.

I have always released the source code to my plugins, so hopefully they
would be ported to other platforms. So if you are an Amiga programmer,
or know someone who is, you can grab the source code for any of the
plugins at my site and see whether you have better success than I ever
did.