Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Post by UZZI » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I've posted the following several times without a response.  If what I'm
trying to do, can't be done, i'd be very grateful if someone experienced
could point me in the right direction.  Thanks,

'I usually find some geometric logic to enable two objects to align.
However, my current model requires several identical objects to be aligned
at an arbitary rotation.  Is there some simple way to align objects in a
manner that can be achieved with CAD programmes such as AutoCAD?  Basically
I want one poly to rotate and position itself to another.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance'

Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Post by UZZI » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I've posted the following several times without a response.  If what I'm
trying to do, can't be done, i'd be very grateful if someone experienced
could point me in the right direction.  Thanks,

'I usually find some geometric logic to enable two objects to align.
However, my current model requires several identical objects to be aligned
at an arbitary rotation.  Is there some simple way to align objects in a
manner that can be achieved with CAD programmes such as AutoCAD?  Basically
I want one poly to rotate and position itself to another.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance'

Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'd love to offer some help, but I do not understand what you are trying
to do. Can you expand on what you mean by :

Quote:> However, my current model requires several identical objects to be aligned
> at an arbitary rotation.

and

Quote:> Basically I want one poly to rotate and position itself to another.

Clearly, you know exactly what you want but it is about as clear as mud
to me. For example, what is the model ? What is rotating ?

Regards

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Post by Stephen Buckle » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I think the problem is that for most of us you haven't defined the
problem /  shot clearly.

Simple thought

Import multiple copies of the object into layout, and animate the
motion path for each one individually using key frames.

what about arranging them as you want  around a null  parent the
objects to the null and rotate the null.

Quote:>I've posted the following several times without a response.  If what I'm

Post by dfc » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.lightwave
> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 15:01:44 +0100
> Subject: Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

> I've posted the following several times without a response.  If what I'm
> trying to do, can't be done, i'd be very grateful if someone experienced
> could point me in the right direction.  Thanks,

> 'I usually find some geometric logic to enable two objects to align.
> However, my current model requires several identical objects to be aligned
> at an arbitary rotation.  Is there some simple way to align objects in a
> manner that can be achieved with CAD programmes such as AutoCAD?  Basically
> I want one poly to rotate and position itself to another.

> Can anybody help?

> Thanks in advance'

Center all objects in modeler and place them in the proper orientation for
animation. In otherwords..if the "cone" will be orbiting "standing up"
then..make sure its already "standing up" in modeler..ie..before you bring
it into layout.

set pivot points in modeler so that the objects will rotate as needed
ie...in otherwords..the rotate axis...if you want smooth rotation around the
middle..or..do you want it end over end..ie..move pivot point to one edge of
object or the other...etc.

After saving the objects...import ALL of them into layout without moving
them.

Create a null

parent all objects to the null.

Move all objects into the location and starting position you want.

At this point..you can now rotate the null..and all objects will move around
the null in the same relationship to each other.

If you also need the objects to rotate individually...then..adjust the
rotation of all objects a key 0 to have the desired offset you want.

Move forward to the time interval that you want for one complete rotation..
and key frame each object for 360 degrees from its original starting
point...(you could also use an lscript or something else..that would simply
apply an offset for each object.) Key frame it..and set the end frame to
loop animation.

Alternatively..you could apply the offset in modeler before you bring them
in...and..simply save one motion (thats a 360 rotation) and apply it to all
objects.

What you should now have is...a starting frame with the offset already
applied...and..when you play it...each object should rotate together
at the same rate..with the same offset throughout.

Now you can key  your null...and move the whole thing...like a merry go
round.

This way you can have..control over the rotational axis of the whole
thing..And...control over the rotational aspect of each individual piece.

If you plan on having them rotate at always the same rate..then..
using the key at 0 with offset ..then..key at end..with 360 rotation on all
objects works fine.

The issues here are...you have to set up your objects correctly from the
start. If you have a cone..and want it to rotate in an oblique fashion..you
should set it up..in modeler thru the pivot point..and..make sure its at the
right rotational axis when you bring it in. Otherwise...youll be
applying..and keying several rotational channels to get the disired effect
and may end up running into our friend ...Mr. Gimbal Lock.

In other words...don't load a cone object.."standing up"..if you intend  on
rotating it.."lying down".  Because..it keeps its rotational axis channels
as they were set in modeler. ie..if you did the above..you would be rotating
its "pitch" to get it to rotate around..lying down. So, if this..for
instance was the case..I would go ahead..in modeler..and..rotate the
object.."lying down"..so I could now use..the proper.."heading" channel to
rotate it.

Same issue for pivot points...center all your objects...then..move the pivot
point..to where you want the rotation to apply. If you want it to tumble
"end over end" then youll need a pivot point..at one end or the
other..instead of in the middle.

All of these things prevent..or try to prevent problems in parenting to the
null.

If you don't wont' the objects to move at the same rate..then..it will
require a little more work keying the objects to each other. In this
case..use ONE object..to start...and key it...then..use its key the others
against it. ie...I want this one to rotate 2x for every 1x this one goes
around..etc.  Once you get one "cycle" done..then..just set it to loop
animation. or repeat motion.
dfc

Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Post by Mark Curti » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Sorry UZZI, not getting what you mean.
Perhaps a better (more detailed explanation), or even a sketch posted to
alt.binaries ?

--

Mark Curtis

www.bigfoot.com/~m.curtis
.

> I've posted the following several times without a response.  If what I'm
> trying to do, can't be done, i'd be very grateful if someone experienced
> could point me in the right direction.  Thanks,

> 'I usually find some geometric logic to enable two objects to align.
> However, my current model requires several identical objects to be aligned
> at an arbitary rotation.  Is there some simple way to align objects in a
> manner that can be achieved with CAD programmes such as AutoCAD?
Basically
> I want one poly to rotate and position itself to another.

> Can anybody help?

> Thanks in advance'

Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Post by UZZI » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I've posted the following several times without a response.  If what I'm
trying to do, can't be done, i'd be very grateful if someone experienced
could point me in the right direction.  Thanks,

'I usually find some geometric logic to enable two objects to align.
However, my current model requires several identical objects to be aligned
at an arbitary rotation.  Is there some simple way to align objects in a
manner that can be achieved with CAD programmes such as AutoCAD?  Basically
I want one poly to rotate and position itself to another.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance'

Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

Post by UZZI » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Sorry for the confusion,

Basically, manually moving and rotating polygons to line up with other parts
of the model is not precise enough for an architectural model I'm working
on.  I need to know how to align a polygon (position and rotation) with
another.  I've designed a modular footbridge inside a building that is
curving in plan.  I've designed one segment and was hoping to polar array
the other segments.  However, the plan rotional angle of each segment is not
divisable into 360 degrees.  The numerical input for the array rotation only
accepts whole degrees.......So....I've copied the segments and would now
like to align them to each other at precisely the correct rotation and
position.  Manual alignment is not accurate enough.  I could import the
bridge from AutoCAD as a whole, but I've put a lot of work into UV mapping
the surface of the single segment.  I need the UV maps to rotate with the
copies.  In general it would be useful to know if a simple alignment command
existed that rotated+positoned and even scaled (as an option) one object to
align with another.

Another way of thinking about it is imagining you have several slices of
cake in modeler that are scattered all over the place and you want to
precisely reposition them back together.

Is this any clearer?

Heres hoping

> Sorry UZZI, not getting what you mean.
> Perhaps a better (more detailed explanation), or even a sketch posted to
> alt.binaries ?

> --

> Mark Curtis

> www.bigfoot.com/~m.curtis
> .

Quote:> > I've posted the following several times without a response.  If what I'm
> > trying to do, can't be done, i'd be very grateful if someone experienced
> > could point me in the right direction.  Thanks,

> > 'I usually find some geometric logic to enable two objects to align.
> > However, my current model requires several identical objects to be
aligned
> > at an arbitary rotation.  Is there some simple way to align objects in a
> > manner that can be achieved with CAD programmes such as AutoCAD?
> Basically
> > I want one poly to rotate and position itself to another.

> > Can anybody help?

> > Thanks in advance'

1. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

I have an NT workstation with MTOR "Cilent mode"
All is ok, but when i lanch the test for Renderman, it give me the follow
error:

C:\Pixar\PHOTOR~1.1\etc\setup>make

C:\Pixar\PHOTOR~1.1\etc\setup>..\..\bin\shader -q finite.sl shield.sl

C:\Pixar\PHOTOR~1.1\etc\setup>..\..\bin\prman trial.rib
S01001 Cannot load shader "defaultsurface". (WARNING)
R10007 Cannot find default shader.
D04001 DspyName: couldn't find requested driver: ./d_tiff.dll ((null)): No
such file or directory (W
ARNING)
R90011 Can't open display image trial.tif: No such file or directory
S01001 Cannot load shader "ambientlight". (WARNING)
S01001 Cannot load shader "matte". (WARNING)
S01001 Cannot load shader "defaultsurface". (WARNING)
R10009 Cannot find default shader.
R50005 Cannot obtain license - License error: -1, Cannot find license file
The license files (or server network addresses) attempted are
listed below. Use LM_LICENSE_FILE to use a different license file,
or contact your software provider for a license file.
License path: C:\flexlm\license.dat
FLEXlm error: -1,234

C:\Pixar\PHOTOR~1.1\etc\setup>..\..\bin\cmptiff -q trial.tif check.tif
TIFFOpen Error: trial.tif: Cannot open
cmptiff: can't open "trial.tif"

C:\Pixar\PHOTOR~1.1\etc\setup>

The license is ok. All modules run ok, but renderman return me this Error.

Please please please help me.

Thank in advance

Enrico

2. Video convertors, Help Please.......

3. HELP! Mixed-model Colormap setting PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

4. strange problem with "save for web"

5. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 3D STUDIO MAX TUTORIAL WANTED

7. PLEASE NEED HELP WITH ALIEN BLACK BOX FILTER -- I BEG -- PLEASE PLEASE

8. OpenGL Tutorial (C++)

9. EnumEnhMetaFile Help Needed! (Please Please Please)

10. PLEASE HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

11. motorbike DXF please please please

12. Please Please Please