Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Pheasant » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:11:33

Hi

I've been playing with Saslite recently and wondering whether to upgrade to
Sasquatch, but I wanted to check out Joe Alters 'Shave and a Haircut', but
there is no sign of it on his website, is it still available?

Alex

--
Octagon Creative Graphics
3D Visualisation & Illustration

www.octagongraphics.co.uk
Tel: 01553 841897
Fax: 01553 841307
Mob: 07887 983123
ISDN: 01553 841617

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:14:03

Quote:> there is no sign of it on his website, is it still available?

The Lightwave version of Shave and a Haircut, strictly speaking it's
Shave Extreme these days, is not currently available for purchase. Joe
Alter took it off the market for a while. No date has currently been
released for when this will change. Sorry, but if you need a full hair,
fur and whatever else you can dream up plugin for use with Lightwave
right now, then the only option is Sasquatch from Worley Labs. Of
course, that isn't a bad  option :-))

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

P.S. Anyone know if Fibre Factory 3 or higher is still available ?

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Revant » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 04:11:26

Well, if you are interested, I have a friend who wants to sell his Shave
dongle for $200 Aust. (about $108 US).

You can email me if you are interested and I'll give you his email address.

I think he might wanna use an escrow services. I don't blame him. I don't
think anyone would want to get ripped off.

Revanto

Quote:> Hi

> I've been playing with Saslite recently and wondering whether to upgrade
> Sasquatch, but I wanted to check out Joe Alters 'Shave and a Haircut', but
> there is no sign of it on his website, is it still available?

> Alex

> --
> Octagon Creative Graphics
> 3D Visualisation & Illustration

> www.octagongraphics.co.uk
> Tel: 01553 841897
> Fax: 01553 841307
> Mob: 07887 983123
> ISDN: 01553 841617

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Michael Stricklan » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:05:11

I'm curious why Joe took it off the market. Anyone have insight into
this?

Thanks,
Michael

Quote:> > there is no sign of it on his website, is it still available?
> The Lightwave version of Shave and a Haircut, strictly speaking it's
> Shave Extreme these days, is not currently available for purchase. Joe
> Alter took it off the market for a while. No date has currently been
> released for when this will change. Sorry, but if you need a full hair,
> fur and whatever else you can dream up plugin for use with Lightwave
> right now, then the only option is Sasquatch from Worley Labs. Of
> course, that isn't a bad  option :-))

> Cheers

> Kevin F Stubbs
> Kayef Select Limited

> P.S. Anyone know if Fibre Factory 3 or higher is still available ?

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Jeff Kilgro » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:40:53

Quote:> I'm curious why Joe took it off the market. Anyone have insight into
> this?

> Thanks,
> Michael

A couple reasons.  Joe has taken the Shave code base and is developing only the
ShaveSDK (on various platforms).  The ShaveSDK is then distributed out to other
developers who in turn support the plug-ins for each application.  He has
contracted a developer to re-write the Lightwave plugin and it is currently being
redone, but nothing has been released yet.  The previous (or current) version of
Shave for LW is no longer for sale since Joe doesn't have time to support it
directly and he ran out of dongles. ;-)

Hopefully, it will be for sale again in the near future.  It's a great app, and I'm
one of the lucky few who bought it when it was released for $99.  That $99 has paid
many mortgage payments and other things and that Shave dongle has been worth its
weight in gold -- many times over, actually.

For now, your best bet for a full hair app in Lightwave is to either pick up a used
Shave dongle -- they aren't all that hard to come by for about $300.  Or purchase
the full version of Sasquatch.  Shave itself is a little tricky to use in the
current most-stable form.  It's latest version for LW that supports full object
collision and a few other things is kinda buggy, so it's best to drop back to the
previous version.  Sasquatch is better integrated in LW, and a bit easier to work
with, but I find that actually styling the hair is easier in Shave.  Both produce
excellent results - Shave definitely has the edge for long hair and realistic
dynamics, while Sasquatch can often be better for fur and grass effects and in some
situations can render faster.  I have both and have found that Sas and Shave
compliment each other in more ways than they compete.  But if you had to pick just
one, then either will do just fine...  I prefer Shave for its long hair and
realistic dynamics, but that has more direct effect on my recent projects.

--
- Jeff Kilgroe
- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Jayden Bar » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:45:12

it was fairly broken when trying to use it with 7.5 in my experience, i
couldnt get it to work for me after a gazillion different versions and now i
happily use sasquatch instead.  i think that i'm the minority though.

JB

> I'm curious why Joe took it off the market. Anyone have insight into
> this?

> Thanks,
> Michael

> > > there is no sign of it on his website, is it still available?
> > The Lightwave version of Shave and a Haircut, strictly speaking it's
> > Shave Extreme these days, is not currently available for purchase. Joe
> > Alter took it off the market for a while. No date has currently been
> > released for when this will change. Sorry, but if you need a full hair,
> > fur and whatever else you can dream up plugin for use with Lightwave
> > right now, then the only option is Sasquatch from Worley Labs. Of
> > course, that isn't a bad  option :-))

> > Cheers

> > Kevin F Stubbs
> > Kayef Select Limited

> > P.S. Anyone know if Fibre Factory 3 or higher is still available ?

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Jon Carro » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:29:35

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:05:11 -0700, Michael Strickland

>I'm curious why Joe took it off the market. Anyone have insight into
>this?

because he's rally upset that Newtek got Worley to write SasLite for
inclusion with LW 7 instead of asking him to use S&H... waaaa

--
-Jon Carroll

"You're making me hungry. You won't like me when I'm hungry!"- Dexter

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Jeff Kilgro » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:23:32

Quote:> it was fairly broken when trying to use it with 7.5 in my experience, i
> couldnt get it to work for me after a gazillion different versions and now i
> happily use sasquatch instead.  i think that i'm the minority though.

The most stable version of Shave (and the only version that truly works with LW7.5)
is v1.4 r31.  It's available in the file section on the YahooGroups
Shave/Lipservice group.

--
- Jeff Kilgroe
- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience
- www.appliedvisual.com

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Chris Brizo » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:07:11

he's re-writing it

just go with sas and teach Joe a lesson ;-) j/k

--

Sincerely

Chris Brizon
Managing Director: Hades Animation Studios
www.hades-studios.com

(remove "yourinhibitions" to reply)
--

Quote:> Hi

> I've been playing with Saslite recently and wondering whether to upgrade
> Sasquatch, but I wanted to check out Joe Alters 'Shave and a Haircut', but
> there is no sign of it on his website, is it still available?

> Alex

> --
> Octagon Creative Graphics
> 3D Visualisation & Illustration

> www.octagongraphics.co.uk
> Tel: 01553 841897
> Fax: 01553 841307
> Mob: 07887 983123
> ISDN: 01553 841617

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Chris Brizo » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:13:14

FF3 isn't really worth getting hold of, unless they've improved it greatly

though it was good for making hair guides... to use with sas heheh

--

Sincerely

Chris Brizon
Managing Director: Hades Animation Studios
www.hades-studios.com

(remove "yourinhibitions" to reply)
--

Quote:> > there is no sign of it on his website, is it still available?
> The Lightwave version of Shave and a Haircut, strictly speaking it's
> Shave Extreme these days, is not currently available for purchase. Joe
> Alter took it off the market for a while. No date has currently been
> released for when this will change. Sorry, but if you need a full hair,
> fur and whatever else you can dream up plugin for use with Lightwave
> right now, then the only option is Sasquatch from Worley Labs. Of
> course, that isn't a bad  option :-))

> Cheers

> Kevin F Stubbs
> Kayef Select Limited

> P.S. Anyone know if Fibre Factory 3 or higher is still available ?

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Chris Brizo » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:14:53

what happens if your dongle dies (god forbid) and Joe not having any more?

--

Sincerely

Chris Brizon
Managing Director: Hades Animation Studios
www.hades-studios.com

(remove "yourinhibitions" to reply)
--

message

> > I'm curious why Joe took it off the market. Anyone have insight into
> > this?

> > Thanks,
> > Michael

> A couple reasons.  Joe has taken the Shave code base and is developing
only the
> ShaveSDK (on various platforms).  The ShaveSDK is then distributed out to
other
> developers who in turn support the plug-ins for each application.  He has
> contracted a developer to re-write the Lightwave plugin and it is
currently being
> redone, but nothing has been released yet.  The previous (or current)
version of
> Shave for LW is no longer for sale since Joe doesn't have time to support
it
> directly and he ran out of dongles. ;-)

> Hopefully, it will be for sale again in the near future.  It's a great
app, and I'm
> one of the lucky few who bought it when it was released for $99.  That $99
has paid
> many mortgage payments and other things and that Shave dongle has been
worth its
> weight in gold -- many times over, actually.

> For now, your best bet for a full hair app in Lightwave is to either pick
up a used
> Shave dongle -- they aren't all that hard to come by for about $300.  Or
purchase
> the full version of Sasquatch.  Shave itself is a little tricky to use in
the
> current most-stable form.  It's latest version for LW that supports full
object
> collision and a few other things is kinda buggy, so it's best to drop back
to the
> previous version.  Sasquatch is better integrated in LW, and a bit easier
to work
> with, but I find that actually styling the hair is easier in Shave.  Both
produce
> excellent results - Shave definitely has the edge for long hair and
realistic
> dynamics, while Sasquatch can often be better for fur and grass effects
and in some
> situations can render faster.  I have both and have found that Sas and
Shave
> compliment each other in more ways than they compete.  But if you had to
pick just
> one, then either will do just fine...  I prefer Shave for its long hair
and
> realistic dynamics, but that has more direct effect on my recent projects.

> --
> - Jeff Kilgroe
> - Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience
> - www.appliedvisual.com

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Jeff Kilgro » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 12:29:41

Quote:> what happens if your dongle dies (god forbid) and Joe not having any more?

You can send him your dead dongle and he'll work something out.  It's happened to a
couple people that I'm aware of.  Or if anyone thinks they have a defective dongle,
they can send it to me along with a $20 testing fee.  If it's defective, I'll give
it to Joe and get something worked out.  If it is not defective, I keep the dongle
as payment for wasting my time.  ;-)

--
- Jeff Kilgroe
- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience
- www.appliedvisual.com

Shave and a Haircut for Lightwave?

Post by Chris Brizo » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 01:59:50

Quote:> Or if anyone thinks they have a defective dongle,
> they can send it to me along with a $20 testing fee.
> If it is not defective, I keep the dongle
> as payment for wasting my time.  ;-)

LOL!