HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by res0ch0 » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:33:28

Hya all,

I am working on the new HV tutorial.
Apart from the obvious...how to do explosions, trails, dust, smoke, liquids,
etc....is there anything you would like me to cover.
Anything that seems to be difficult or hard to grasp with HV ?
As I tried with the first tutorial, then still called "myst/steamer"...i
will add hints how to get the fastest renders, the highest quality etc
etc...

Improvise,

-----
Danny Braet
FX Supervisor
EdenFX

www.edenfx.com

=== Never has been owed so much, to so many, by so few ===

                                         a Winston Churchill hack

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by tomspla » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:09:21

Please cover how to make HVs glow.

Tom*

> Hya all,

> I am working on the new HV tutorial.
> Apart from the obvious...how to do explosions, trails, dust, smoke, liquids,
> etc....is there anything you would like me to cover.
> Anything that seems to be difficult or hard to grasp with HV ?
> As I tried with the first tutorial, then still called "myst/steamer"...i
> will add hints how to get the fastest renders, the highest quality etc
> etc...

> Improvise,

> -----
> Danny Braet
> FX Supervisor
> EdenFX

> www.edenfx.com

> === Never has been owed so much, to so many, by so few ===

>                                          a Winston Churchill hack

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Brizo » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:33:24

easy done..

use a partigon object, attach the particle emitter to that, set everything
up as you would for whatever particle effect your trying to do. then go to
the properties panel for that partigon, change the particle / line size to
something large, enable glow in the partigon surface, and set it up in the
image processing panel.. depending on the scene you might need it pretty
high to be seen, set up HV to the partigon as normal, then, when you render
it'll glow correctly. does look like the partigons show though, haven't
tried other settings to hide them yet, But it works, other than that I
suppose faking a glow with gradients and transparency, or post processing
with AE or batch in PS would do the trick also......

http://www.biomechanics.fsnet.co.uk/glow.jpg

as you can see with this quick test, it works just fine, and probably by
setting up some textures to the partigons you'll be able to animate colors
of glows and things like that too.

Have fun.

--
-------
BriZon

=================\/=================

> Please cover how to make HVs glow.

> Tom*

> > Hya all,

> > I am working on the new HV tutorial.
> > Apart from the obvious...how to do explosions, trails, dust, smoke,
liquids,
> > etc....is there anything you would like me to cover.
> > Anything that seems to be difficult or hard to grasp with HV ?
> > As I tried with the first tutorial, then still called "myst/steamer"...i
> > will add hints how to get the fastest renders, the highest quality etc
> > etc...

> > Improvise,

> > -----
> > Danny Braet
> > FX Supervisor
> > EdenFX

> > www.edenfx.com

> > === Never has been owed so much, to so many, by so few ===

> >                                          a Winston Churchill hack

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Gareth J » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:05:35

Quote:>Hya all,

>I am working on the new HV tutorial.
>Apart from the obvious...how to do explosions, trails, dust, smoke,
>liquids, etc....is there anything you would like me to cover.
>Anything that seems to be difficult or hard to grasp with HV ?

hmmm... how about a realistic looking flame? (not an explosion :) a simple
fireplace !)

--
Gareth Jax
Ihgger #7*3*2

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Brizo » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:37:22

thats easy, www.lightwave6.com go to tutorials and do the volumetric fire
tutorial, works a lot better than trying to do a fireplace flame effect with
HV.. though I suppose its possible, displace and expand looks pretty nifty
for smoke, could also work well for flames I suppose, through the amount of
HV might get a little high. Besides, an array of distant lights set up ala
tutorial on said site, animated, with maybe a few particles for sparks and
embers.. will render a lot faster than HV's set up for a similar effect

--
-------
BriZon
        www.brizon3d.com | www.lexxpark.co.uk
                 www.the-necronomicon.com
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

=================\/=================

> >Hya all,

> >I am working on the new HV tutorial.
> >Apart from the obvious...how to do explosions, trails, dust, smoke,
> >liquids, etc....is there anything you would like me to cover.
> >Anything that seems to be difficult or hard to grasp with HV ?

> hmmm... how about a realistic looking flame? (not an explosion :) a simple
> fireplace !)

> --
> Gareth Jax
> Ihgger #7*3*2

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:42:22

How about setting up The Flame out of the comics...  or invent
a char.  Molten Man...

Tough request I know, but you asked...
                                        O :-)

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Brizo » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:47:18

thats more like it for a tutorial :)

got me thinking now... hmmm, simple character setup... particle emitters set
up inside the body, hands etc.. and burning HV effect with short deathwish..
errrrr.... ok got me stumped, do that tutorial I wanna see it too hehe

--
-------
BriZon
        www.brizon3d.com | www.lexxpark.co.uk
                 www.the-necronomicon.com
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

=================\/=================

Quote:

> How about setting up The Flame out of the comics...  or invent
> a char.  Molten Man...

> Tough request I know, but you asked...
>                                         O :-)

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:04:57

> thats more like it for a tutorial :)

> got me thinking now... hmmm, simple character setup... particle emitters set
> up inside the body, hands etc.. and burning HV effect with short deathwish..
> errrrr.... ok got me stumped, do that tutorial I wanna see it too hehe

Yup...  I know it's doable too...  I made "The Blue Flame" for a commercial
that /hit/ here in Japan.   Had me do several promo lengthy video spots with
him too for trade shows...  HV2.0  24 - 533Alphas, 512mb, 3hrs per frame...
(Just the HV stuff renders in half that though)
                                                 :D

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Brizo » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:12:08

3hrs per frame huh

thats not erm... too ... bad ;)

--
-------
BriZon
        www.brizon3d.com | www.lexxpark.co.uk
                 www.the-necronomicon.com
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

=================\/=================

Quote:> > thats more like it for a tutorial :)

> > got me thinking now... hmmm, simple character setup... particle emitters
set
> > up inside the body, hands etc.. and burning HV effect with short
deathwish..
> > errrrr.... ok got me stumped, do that tutorial I wanna see it too hehe

> Yup...  I know it's doable too...  I made "The Blue Flame" for a
commercial
> that /hit/ here in Japan.   Had me do several promo lengthy video spots
with
> him too for trade shows...  HV2.0  24 - 533Alphas, 512mb, 3hrs per
frame...
> (Just the HV stuff renders in half that though)
>                                                  :D

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:30:11

> 3hrs per frame huh

> thats not erm... too ... bad ;)

for 24 nodes...  that's 3 days per frame to the average Joe...
or one day per frame with an Intel 1.8 gig cpu..  hehehe

        Yeah... not too bad...

                                ;-)

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Brizo » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:30:28

dont suppose you've got some images of this lying around have you? curious
now to see what something that takes so long looks like :)

so I can avoid ever taking on a job like it hehehe

--
-------
BriZon
        www.brizon3d.com | www.lexxpark.co.uk
                 www.the-necronomicon.com
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

=================\/=================

Quote:> > 3hrs per frame huh

> > thats not erm... too ... bad ;)

> for 24 nodes...  that's 3 days per frame to the average Joe...
> or one day per frame with an Intel 1.8 gig cpu..  hehehe

>         Yeah... not too bad...

>                                 ;-)

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 05:06:15

> dont suppose you've got some images of this lying around have you? curious
> now to see what something that takes so long looks like :)

> so I can avoid ever taking on a job like it hehehe

Yup!  next time I go into my DAT stuff I will dig out a
few of the better shots...  Be warned though it's all field
rendered stuff in high motion so stils may not look so
great... Maybe I'll compile an anim of one of his dashes.
He leaves little blue dust puffs and warp streaks from
place to place...

Just to keep your mouth watering I like The Blue Flame
better than anything I saw in X-Men, Flash, or Invisable!

But PepsiMan has more charisma...    :-P

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Brizo » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 05:25:19

cool, thanks, if I ever do end up with a job like that, I know who to pass
it onto :)
you mention warp streaks.. how would you do an effect like that (if its like
the old ST movie variety) seperate pass with some heavy motion blur on a
partial figure, then comp'd over a full render?

that probably only makes sense to me cause I've visualised it in my head and
suck at explaining anything in text (hence lack of tutorials of mine ;)

--
-------
BriZon
        www.brizon3d.com | www.lexxpark.co.uk
                 www.the-necronomicon.com
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

=================\/=================

Quote:> > dont suppose you've got some images of this lying around have you?
curious
> > now to see what something that takes so long looks like :)

> > so I can avoid ever taking on a job like it hehehe

> Yup!  next time I go into my DAT stuff I will dig out a
> few of the better shots...  Be warned though it's all field
> rendered stuff in high motion so stils may not look so
> great... Maybe I'll compile an anim of one of his dashes.
> He leaves little blue dust puffs and warp streaks from
> place to place...

> Just to keep your mouth watering I like The Blue Flame
> better than anything I saw in X-Men, Flash, or Invisable!

> But PepsiMan has more charisma...    :-P

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 05:55:01

Quote:> cool, thanks, if I ever do end up with a job like that, I know who to pass
> it onto :)
> you mention warp streaks.. how would you do an effect like that (if its like
> the old ST movie variety) seperate pass with some heavy motion blur on a
> partial figure, then comp'd over a full render?

> that probably only makes sense to me cause I've visualised it in my head and
> suck at explaining anything in text (hence lack of tutorials of mine ;)

No LW's motion blur sucks righteously for something like this.

Think old fassion hand built volume lights.

The figure moves through the fixed (no mot keys) volume mesh
and drags the textures (transp/color/etc.) with him.  It's
not dynamic so you gotta get the char motion perfect first
then freez him in some key positions, outline him and morph
the curve "outlines" from position to position. Put it all
back together and hope the client only makes camera mot.
adjustments.   Actualy this isn't too time consumeing in
modeler.  Effector nulls really saved the day here.

HV3 Tutorial 2001

Post by Brizo » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 06:01:49

ahhhh, didn't think of that.. can't wait to see it :)

--
-------
BriZon
        www.brizon3d.com | www.lexxpark.co.uk
                 www.the-necronomicon.com
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

=================\/=================

Quote:

> > cool, thanks, if I ever do end up with a job like that, I know who to
pass
> > it onto :)
> > you mention warp streaks.. how would you do an effect like that (if its
like
> > the old ST movie variety) seperate pass with some heavy motion blur on a
> > partial figure, then comp'd over a full render?

> > that probably only makes sense to me cause I've visualised it in my head
and
> > suck at explaining anything in text (hence lack of tutorials of mine ;)

> No LW's motion blur sucks righteously for something like this.

> Think old fassion hand built volume lights.

> The figure moves through the fixed (no mot keys) volume mesh
> and drags the textures (transp/color/etc.) with him.  It's
> not dynamic so you gotta get the char motion perfect first
> then freez him in some key positions, outline him and morph
> the curve "outlines" from position to position. Put it all
> back together and hope the client only makes camera mot.
> adjustments.   Actualy this isn't too time consumeing in
> modeler.  Effector nulls really saved the day here.

1. Multimedia 2001: Excellent Program/Workshops/Tutorials, Registration Open

 What:  The Ninth ACM Multimedia Conference (MULTIMEDIA 2001)
 When:  September 30 - October 5, 2001
 Where: Ottawa, Canada

This is a last reminder to register for Multimedia 2001.

We have an exciting conference this year as the conference continues
to be a unique venue bringing together leading researchers and
practitioners in all areas of multimedia applications, computing, and
networking.

Please follow the following links for more information.

Conference Site: http://www.acm.org/sigmm/MM2001/
Venue - Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel: http://www.fairmont.com
Workshops:
- Multimedia Information Retrieval
  (http://db.cs.ualberta.ca/mir2001/)
- International Workshop on Multimedia Middleware
  (http://www.ifi.uio.no/~m3w/)
- Multimedia and Security: New Challenges
  (http://www.darmstadt.gmd.de/mobile/acm01/)
Conference Banquet: http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/cmceng/welcmeng.html

Travel: We have arranged special discounts with Air Canada. To take
advantage of these special discounts please contact Air Canada's North
America toll Free number at 1-800-361-7585 or local number
514-393-9494 or your travel agent and refer to convention number
CV931642.

Nicolas D. Georganas and Radu Popescu-Zeletin
Conference Chairs

Tzi-cker Chiueh, Wolfgang Klas, Aidong Zhang
Program Chairs

2. Adobe Type 1 fonts don't show up in Corel Draw 7 on NT

3. 12 yo son wants to start in 3d. With what?

4. Volume Graphics 2001: Call for Papers

5. Lightwave 5.0 Challenge

6. Web3D 2001 Conference: CALL FOR PAPERS

7. Restrict DirectDraw operations to normal GDI window?

8. CALL FOR PAPERS: Web3D 2001

9. Computer Graphics Forum 2001 Cover Image Contest

10. 2001 3D rendered images

11. AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT BUSH SAFAR IBN ABD AL-RAHMAN AL-HAWALI 16 October, 2001