Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Scott OQ Elya » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:41:15

Hello;

I am trying to run arrays of textured shipping containers on a yard
(about (9x6x4)x152) for a highly detailed rendering of a shipping
terminal in Lightwave 3D 7.5, running on OS 10.2.6.

Thing is, I can't seem to get this to work.  I can't do this in
Modeler, since Modeler treats objects with the same surface name as
one contiguous surface, so textures sized for one container will tile
awkwardly across the mass of containers, which are supposed to be
slightly irregularly spaced horizontally within the stacks, but even
if they're evenly spaced, the edges of the textures still wind up
running down the middles of some of the visible containers.

Cloning seems to work only on a single object in Layout, which is
rather inconvenient, considering I have to show approximately 9,298
containers in the yard.  Unless there's a way to get cloning to work
on null objects and their children, this is going to be unworkable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

----
Scott Elyard
(I'm starting to wish I'd started this project in maya instead, but
anyway...)
www.archosaur.org

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Will » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:59:38

Quote:>Hello;

>I am trying to run arrays of textured shipping containers on a yard
>(about (9x6x4)x152) for a highly detailed rendering of a shipping
>terminal in Lightwave 3D 7.5, running on OS 10.2.6.

>Thing is, I can't seem to get this to work.  I can't do this in
>Modeler, since Modeler treats objects with the same surface name as
>one contiguous surface, so textures sized for one container will tile
>awkwardly across the mass of containers, which are supposed to be
>slightly irregularly spaced horizontally within the stacks, but even
>if they're evenly spaced, the edges of the textures still wind up
>running down the middles of some of the visible containers.

Back in the days of 5.6, I used "load from scene" to build a similar scene.  It
was large towers of school lockers, and I needed to locker doors to be able to
animate, so I couldn't just array in modeller.

I first did a 1x6 line of lockers, parented them to a null, and saved as a
scene.

Load from scene 10 times, and move the parent nulls down.  Now, in just a few
minutes, you have a 10x6 tower of thingies.  Parent it to a null.  Save as a
scene.

Load from scene 10 times, rearrange nine nulls.  Parent to null.  Save to
scene.  You now have 10x10x6.  Rinse, repeat.  Don't forget that LW has a
settng for maximum number of objects in a scene in the config file.  :)

There are probably more elegant way to do it now, but that way worked for me,
and it'll probably work for you, and it doesn't require to much fiddling or
experimenting.  (At the expense of the fact that if you don't like it, you have
to start over.)
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Fish » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:06:16

check out* for "Family Clone" and "Clone Hierarchy" these will help
you out.

grtz,

Fish
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Hello;

> I am trying to run arrays of textured shipping containers on a yard
> (about (9x6x4)x152) for a highly detailed rendering of a shipping
> terminal in Lightwave 3D 7.5, running on OS 10.2.6.

> Thing is, I can't seem to get this to work.  I can't do this in
> Modeler, since Modeler treats objects with the same surface name as
> one contiguous surface, so textures sized for one container will tile
> awkwardly across the mass of containers, which are supposed to be
> slightly irregularly spaced horizontally within the stacks, but even
> if they're evenly spaced, the edges of the textures still wind up
> running down the middles of some of the visible containers.

> Cloning seems to work only on a single object in Layout, which is
> rather inconvenient, considering I have to show approximately 9,298
> containers in the yard.  Unless there's a way to get cloning to work
> on null objects and their children, this is going to be unworkable.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

> ----
> Scott Elyard
> (I'm starting to wish I'd started this project in maya instead, but
> anyway...)
> www.archosaur.org

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Paul Andrew » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:32:44

Quote:> Hello;

> I am trying to run arrays of textured shipping containers on a yard
> (about (9x6x4)x152) for a highly detailed rendering of a shipping
> terminal in Lightwave 3D 7.5, running on OS 10.2.6.

> Thing is, I can't seem to get this to work.  I can't do this in
> Modeler, since Modeler treats objects with the same surface name as
> one contiguous surface, so textures sized for one container will tile
> awkwardly across the mass of containers, which are supposed to be
> slightly irregularly spaced horizontally within the stacks, but even
> if they're evenly spaced, the edges of the textures still wind up
> running down the middles of some of the visible containers.

> Cloning seems to work only on a single object in Layout, which is
> rather inconvenient, considering I have to show approximately 9,298
> containers in the yard.  Unless there's a way to get cloning to work
> on null objects and their children, this is going to be unworkable.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

> ----
> Scott Elyard
> (I'm starting to wish I'd started this project in maya instead, but
> anyway...)
> www.archosaur.org

There is a commercial layout plugin that can do this. I can't remember what
it's called. I know Kevin Stubbs reviewed it and possibly Brizon.

...thinks..

Paul

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Ian Brow » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:09:44

Quote:> Hello;

> I am trying to run arrays of textured shipping containers on a yard
> (about (9x6x4)x152) for a highly detailed rendering of a shipping
> terminal in Lightwave 3D 7.5, running on OS 10.2.6.

> Thing is, I can't seem to get this to work.  I can't do this in
> Modeler, since Modeler treats objects with the same surface name as
> one contiguous surface, so textures sized for one container will tile
> awkwardly across the mass of containers, which are supposed to be
> slightly irregularly spaced horizontally within the stacks, but even
> if they're evenly spaced, the edges of the textures still wind up
> running down the middles of some of the visible containers.

> Cloning seems to work only on a single object in Layout, which is
> rather inconvenient, considering I have to show approximately 9,298
> containers in the yard.  Unless there's a way to get cloning to work
> on null objects and their children, this is going to be unworkable.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

> ----
> Scott Elyard
> (I'm starting to wish I'd started this project in maya instead, but
> anyway...)
> www.archosaur.org

UV Maps on the containers should help with yer texturing problem.

I for one hate having too many multiples of objects/lights/whatever in
Layout because the scene becomes unmanagable.

-
Ian

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:19:11

Quote:> There is a commercial layout plugin that can do this. I can't remember what
> it's called. I know Kevin Stubbs reviewed it and possibly Brizon.

I'm guessing that would be HD_instance :

http://www.cgfocus.com/ArticleDetails.cfm?ArticleID=183

Not too sure if it would be the one to use in this case. You'd have to build a
'points only' model/array of points and then apply it and all of the copies
would be identical, unless you then split the array up into several layers and
assigned a different version of the object to each layer.

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by KMacPha » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:01:10

Hey folks,

I wrote a plugin similar to "Family Clone" and "Clone Hierarchy"
before I knew they existed...

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Best of Luck
Kevin

Quote:> check out* for "Family Clone" and "Clone Hierarchy" these will help
> you out.

> grtz,

> Fish
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by DEG » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:49:02

HD_Instance is a fantastic plugin for doing massive cloning. However, I'm
not sure if a Mac version has been done.
Chack it out at http://www.happy-digital.com/main.asp

Craig Paup
DEG

Quote:> > There is a commercial layout plugin that can do this. I can't remember
what
> > it's called. I know Kevin Stubbs reviewed it and possibly Brizon.
> I'm guessing that would be HD_instance :

> http://www.cgfocus.com/ArticleDetails.cfm?ArticleID=183

> Not too sure if it would be the one to use in this case. You'd have to
build a
> 'points only' model/array of points and then apply it and all of the
copies
> would be identical, unless you then split the array up into several layers
and
> assigned a different version of the object to each layer.

> Cheers

> Kevin F Stubbs
> Kayef Select Limited

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Paul Andrew » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:40:17

Quote:> > There is a commercial layout plugin that can do this. I can't remember
what
> > it's called. I know Kevin Stubbs reviewed it and possibly Brizon.
> I'm guessing that would be HD_instance :

> http://www.cgfocus.com/ArticleDetails.cfm?ArticleID=183

> Not too sure if it would be the one to use in this case. You'd have to
build a
> 'points only' model/array of points and then apply it and all of the
copies
> would be identical, unless you then split the array up into several layers
and
> assigned a different version of the object to each layer.

> Cheers

> Kevin F Stubbs
> Kayef Select Limited

Yes, that was the one. Didn't think about it not being on the mac though.
Doh!

Paul

Massive cloning in Layout?

Post by Scott OQ Elya » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:37:10

Thanks for all the fantastic feedback, folks!  I'll put these to work directly.

----
Scott Elyard
www.archosaur.org