Anyone using Premiere4.2 and PVR with Lightwave?

Anyone using Premiere4.2 and PVR with Lightwave?

Post by Tom Vig » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm having a weird problem with Premiere4.2 and Perception-converted
AVI's that I would guess anyone else using Premiere to edit their LW
output would also have run into, though I don't find any previous
postings on it.  I've spent most of a day trying various
configurations and running tests to pin it down, but haven't found the
solution yet.

The problem is that Premiere doesn't see the last frame of an AVI file
exported from the PVR.  If I have a 10-frame animation on the PVR and
convert it through the PVD-to-AVI utility, then import into Premiere,
it thinks it's 9 frames long, with the last frame missing.  If I drag
it onto the timeline, it shows as 9 frames long and there's no way to
extend the clip to get that 10th frame.

The frame is still there, since if I drag the slider in the clip
window all the way over to the right, it shows up.   But if I click on
the "next frame" button in the clip control, it pops back to the 9th
frame.  It's like the pointers are screwy.

Viewing the same AVI file using MediaPlayer shows it just fine.

If I generate an AVI directly from Lightwave and import it as a clip,
all the frames show up normally, so the problem appears to be some
kind of incompatibility between the way the PVR generates AVI's and
the way Premiere imports clips.   I know I can work around this by
copy-pasting the last frame in a PVR directory before exporting, so
that to get a 10-frame animation I create an 11-frame one, but that
seems kind of ridiculous.

Would anyone be willing try this out and let me know if it happens to
them?

Thanks,
Tom Vigal
Three Worlds Video Media

Anyone using Premiere4.2 and PVR with Lightwave?

Post by Acreativ » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Would the problem have anything to do with drop-frame vs non-drop-frame?

Have you tried rendering your frames to a system drive and then importing
them into Premiere as a Targa sequence?  (Thus, having Premiere make it an
AVI on the PVR instead.)  Do you get the same problem?

I use PVR and Premiere 4.2.1 myself... haven't noticed this phenomenon, but
I'll try it...

    -- Jon

>I'm having a weird problem with Premiere4.2 and Perception-converted
>AVI's that I would guess anyone else using Premiere to edit their LW
>output would also have run into, though I don't find any previous
>postings on it.  I've spent most of a day trying various
>configurations and running tests to pin it down, but haven't found the
>solution yet.

>The problem is that Premiere doesn't see the last frame of an AVI file
>exported from the PVR.  If I have a 10-frame animation on the PVR and
>convert it through the PVD-to-AVI utility, then import into Premiere,
>it thinks it's 9 frames long, with the last frame missing.  If I drag
>it onto the timeline, it shows as 9 frames long and there's no way to
>extend the clip to get that 10th frame.

>The frame is still there, since if I drag the slider in the clip
>window all the way over to the right, it shows up.   But if I click on
>the "next frame" button in the clip control, it pops back to the 9th
>frame.  It's like the pointers are screwy.

>Viewing the same AVI file using MediaPlayer shows it just fine.

>If I generate an AVI directly from Lightwave and import it as a clip,
>all the frames show up normally, so the problem appears to be some
>kind of incompatibility between the way the PVR generates AVI's and
>the way Premiere imports clips.   I know I can work around this by
>copy-pasting the last frame in a PVR directory before exporting, so
>that to get a 10-frame animation I create an 11-frame one, but that
>seems kind of ridiculous.

>Would anyone be willing try this out and let me know if it happens to
>them?

>Thanks,
>Tom Vigal
>Three Worlds Video Media

Anyone using Premiere4.2 and PVR with Lightwave?

Post by Liisa Halkk » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Well, could your problem be that you forgot to count frame 0? I mean
that 0-9 and 1-10 are both 10 frame long sequences...

Anyone using Premiere4.2 and PVR with Lightwave?

Post by Tom Vig » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

This problem is fixed now.  The H-Proj plugin update on Adobe's site
took care of it.  Thanks for the responses.

Tom Vigal
Three Worlds Video Media