POV-Ray 3.5

Post by Gavin Sco » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:00:05

It's been years since I played with POV, but the /. announcement of a
new official release (3.5, www.povray.org) got me to download it and
play around a bit last night.

Damn.

That sucker has some very nice rendering features and a very clean UI
plus lots of online documentation.  The Radiosity looks especially nice
and appears to have potential advantages over LW in terns of speed:quality
tradeoffs.

I realize this is a heretical question, but are there any good tools for
converting LW scenes and objects into POV format?

G.

POV-Ray 3.5

Post by HIM » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 02:51:29

Damn if Stahlberg is using POV, theres gotta be something good about it!?

Quote:> It's been years since I played with POV, but the /. announcement of a
> new official release (3.5, www.povray.org) got me to download it and
> play around a bit last night.

> Damn.

> That sucker has some very nice rendering features and a very clean UI
> plus lots of online documentation.  The Radiosity looks especially nice
> and appears to have potential advantages over LW in terns of speed:quality
> tradeoffs.

> I realize this is a heretical question, but are there any good tools for
> converting LW scenes and objects into POV format?

> G.

POV-Ray 3.5

Post by Will » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 04:47:25

Grrrr...   I spent 20 minutes making a reply, then AOL crapped out.

>It's been years since I played with POV, but the /. announcement of a
>new official release (3.5, www.povray.org) got me to download it and
>play around a bit last night.

I used to spend hours with POV.  (And, if you have ever tried to do raytracing
on a 25 MHz 030, with an emulated FPU, you know you *have* to spend hours at
it.)  Hell, I still miss Moray.  Moray on my 100 MHz Win95 box with POV 3.0 was
the sweetest thing in the world for CSG modelling.  Beats the pants off of CSG
in LW, lemme tell you that.

Quote:>Damn.

>That sucker has some very nice rendering features and a very clean UI

Yeah, most command line renderers do have a clean UI...  :)  ( I made a more
elaborate joke in my first reply, but alas, it's lost forever...)

Quote:>plus lots of online documentation.  The Radiosity looks especially nice
>and appears to have potential advantages over LW in terns of speed:quality
>tradeoffs.

As I recall, 3.5 is all the stuff that MegaPOV had, plus more.  With some of
that stuff, I have to admit, despite my having badmouthed POV in the past, it
is a pretty nice little renderer.  Certainly, it's capable of putting out some
top notch pictures with somebody worth his salt using it.

Quote:>I realize this is a heretical question, but are there any good tools for
>converting LW scenes and objects into POV format?

>G.

The 5.6 era formats are well known.  The new 6.0 stuff less so.  Don't expect
things like particles to convert over, unless you roll your own converter.  I
used to use 3DWin as my converter of choice when POV was my renderer of choice.
 I think it's not still free, but it is still being developed, because I saw a
post about it a few days back.

At this point in my first reply, I started talking about RenderMan.  I won't
ramble on for as long as I did last time, but...
-BMRT and other implimentations don't cost anything.
-Shading language is the real ultimate power.
-Displacement mapping is spiffy.  (No, not like Lightwave's displacement
mapping...  Real displacement mapping.)
-Procedural geomtry is frigging useful.

In POV, you obviously have POV script, which is useful, but not the best thing
in the world.  Certainly, it is a little more convenient than the C bindings
for RenderMan, and less scary, but RenderMan is better.  You can use the
RenderMan bindings ina variety of languages, and you get the full power of a
real programming language, which POV script doesn't have.

If procedural geometry doesn't float your boat, it should.  There have been
plenty of times when I did something by hand in LW that took days, which would
have taken a half hour as a script.  (And, indeed, took about a half hour when
I went back and redid them out of curiosity...)  The possibilities are endless.

So, in conclusion, POV is cool, RenderMan is cooler, and I need a job.  Okay,
so it's a terribly blunt segue.  I just got to Denver a few days ago.
Personally, I would be content to just work on my demo reel all summer, and not
worry about work for a few months, but I only have 21 dollars in my pocket, and
there's this girl...  (Oh, wait, certainly don't want to restart *that*
thread...).

Anyhow, if anybody is looking for an extra pair of hands, or knows of anybody
who is, feel free to drop me a line.

------------------
Anybody need an extra pair of hands near Denver?  I'm handy, and I have 20
dollars in my pocket, so feel free to drop me a line.

POV-Ray 3.5

Post by Gavin Sco » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 06:24:07

> Yeah, most command line renderers do have a clean UI...  :)  ( I made a more
> elaborate joke in my first reply, but alas, it's lost forever...)

Actually the Windows version comes with a GUI interface and syntax-aware
script editor that is one of the cleanest Windows apps I've seen.  If it's
possible to call a text-based interface a modeler, then this may count :-)

Here's an image that I thought was quite impressive:

http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/images/mouille_big.jpg

and the "making of" story that goes with it:

http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/mkofwetbird1.htm

G.

POV-Ray 3.5

Post by HIM » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:42:59

Do you know LW?
I just started working for a company that may need a few more animators in a week or so,
nothing definite but email me youre info anyway.
Oh and enjoy Denver! What brings you here?

> [...]

> have taken a half hour as a script.  (And, indeed, took about a half hour when
> I went back and redid them out of curiosity...)  The possibilities are endless.

> So, in conclusion, POV is cool, RenderMan is cooler, and I need a job.  Okay,
> so it's a terribly blunt segue.  I just got to Denver a few days ago.
> Personally, I would be content to just work on my demo reel all summer, and not
> worry about work for a few months, but I only have 21 dollars in my pocket, and
> there's this girl...  (Oh, wait, certainly don't want to restart *that*
> thread...).

> Anyhow, if anybody is looking for an extra pair of hands, or knows of anybody
> who is, feel free to drop me a line.

> ------------------
> Anybody need an extra pair of hands near Denver?  I'm handy, and I have 20
> dollars in my pocket, so feel free to drop me a line.

Post by Lizard Head C » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:14:37

Hi!
 you posted>>>>>>The 5.6 era formats are well known.<<<   Since I
joined the LW band wagon just recently, but, I do so using LW 5.6, I
was curious if you could detail some of those converters more
specificly please!! pretty please, ( are there still links to this
stuff??) ....I never thought about using POV with LW5.6 but I would
love to give it a try.

Thank you for your time!
Tom

just try 3DWin at www.tb-software.com

-tb

Post by Will » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:13:25

>Hi!
> you posted>>>>>>The 5.6 era formats are well known.<<<   Since I
>joined the LW band wagon just recently, but, I do so using LW 5.6, I
>was curious if you could detail some of those converters more
>specificly please!! pretty please, ( are there still links to this
>stuff??) ....I never thought about using POV with LW5.6 but I would
>love to give it a try.

>Thank you for your time!
>Tom

http://home.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/

http://www.imagos.fl.net.au/beos/bc.htm

http://www.xdsoft.com/

google gave me those.  One of them seems to be a BeOS program.  Crossroads has
no LW input, but can take 3DS, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get
some stuff into POV.  3D Win exists.  http://www.tb-software.com/

I found a french program that supports LW

http://www.mendel3d.com/converter.asp?lang=fr

That should be enough to get you started.  Also, povray.org has some links.
Check it out.
------------------
Anybody need an extra pair of hands near Denver?  I'm handy, and I have 20
dollars in my pocket, so feel free to drop me a line.

POV-Ray 3.5

Post by Colin Kai Heap » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 04:46:27

Ahh Moray,
So smitten was I with it, even when I first got Lightwave, I upgraded
Moray...and yes, I just *had* to download Povray3.5 <g>

-Colkai

Quote:>I used to spend hours with POV.  (And, if you have ever tried to do raytracing
>on a 25 MHz 030, with an emulated FPU, you know you *have* to spend hours at
>it.)  Hell, I still miss Moray.  Moray on my 100 MHz Win95 box with POV 3.0 was
>the sweetest thing in the world for CSG modelling.  Beats the pants off of CSG
>in LW, lemme tell you that.

POV-Ray 3.5

Post by Lizard Head C » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:59:57

Thanks for all the links and info people!!!

adios
Tom

> >Hi!
> > you posted>>>>>>The 5.6 era formats are well known.<<<   Since I
> >joined the LW band wagon just recently, but, I do so using LW 5.6, I
> >was curious if you could detail some of those converters more
> >specificly please!! pretty please, ( are there still links to this
> >stuff??) ....I never thought about using POV with LW5.6 but I would
> >love to give it a try.

> >Thank you for your time!
> >Tom

> http://home.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/

> http://www.imagos.fl.net.au/beos/bc.htm

> http://www.xdsoft.com/

> google gave me those.  One of them seems to be a BeOS program.  Crossroads has
> no LW input, but can take 3DS, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get
> some stuff into POV.  3D Win exists.  http://www.tb-software.com/

> I found a french program that supports LW

> http://www.mendel3d.com/converter.asp?lang=fr

> That should be enough to get you started.  Also, povray.org has some links.
> Check it out.
> ------------------
> Anybody need an extra pair of hands near Denver?  I'm handy, and I have 20
> dollars in my pocket, so feel free to drop me a line.

1. POV-Ray 3.5 for Windows Render Window question

Relative newcomer to POV-Ray & haven't been able to find an answer to
this question:

With the render window open & an image displayed POV-Ray allows you to
use the mouse to select a sub-portion of the window for re-rendering.
Most times I try this the program renders the sub-portion selected but
what is rendered is usually the same as the previously displayed image
& doesn't reflect changes recently made to the .pov file.  Am I
missing something or is this either a bug or by design?

It would be very useful/timesaving to be able to re-render just the
section of an image where changes have been made....

Thanks in advance,
Bill Davis

2. WATERMARK into IMAGE ????

3. Hydrofoil Sailboat images and their POV-Ray 3.5 source code

4. Projection Matrix

5. Command-line INI file & POV-ray 3.5

6. Creative Annihilator and NT

7. Povray 3.5 Help

8. Povray 3.5 PNG w/transparency

9. povray 3.5 build solaris

10. Povray 3.5 changing object name

11. povray 3.5 fails backwards compatibility

12. POVRAY 3.5 IRIX64 binaries?