simple question for a simple mind (mine!)

simple question for a simple mind (mine!)

Post by Ron Spectr » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:42:08

It is going to sound silly I am SURE. BUT... (sigh)... when you are in
layout and you want to utilize the perspective view to rotate around a
detail on your extensive model, ....uhh.... how do you do that? I figured
since it was object dependent where the apparent rotation origin was located
that it was tied to the pivot point on a per-object basis, but I have a
number of objects that have their pivot points located smack dab in their
middle and the rotation still occurs WAY outside the object off in a place
where the slightest rotation sends the entire extensive object out of view.

So there must be a simple way to do this RIGHT. RIGHT? I have been perusing
the manuals and the 65b PDF of course before I asked. I always do that to
prevent incredibly stupid questions... so perhaps this is just 'reasonably'
stupid?

thanks!

--------------------
FX Models
111 Seymour Road
Terryville CT 06786

www.fxmodels.com

(860) 589-5279 Voice
(419) 793-5608 Fax

simple question for a simple mind (mine!)

Post by Tesselato » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:46:03

Add a null, select it, and turn on centering.

simple question for a simple mind (mine!)

Post by Ron Spectr » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:59:02

Wow hey yeah! In fact I dont have to use the null at all, I can just select
the subobject and as long as "center current item" is checked, it will
always center on that object's pivot point it appears. Man, the things you
learn...
Thanks Jim!

simple question for a simple mind (mine!)

Post by Dave Adam » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:05:12

Quote:> It is going to sound silly I am SURE. BUT... (sigh)... when you are in
> layout and you want to utilize the perspective view to rotate around a
> detail on your extensive model, ....uhh.... how do you do that? I figured
> since it was object dependent where the apparent rotation origin was
located
> that it was tied to the pivot point on a per-object basis, but I have a
> number of objects that have their pivot points located smack dab in their
> middle and the rotation still occurs WAY outside the object off in a place
> where the slightest rotation sends the entire extensive object out of
view.

> So there must be a simple way to do this RIGHT. RIGHT? I have been
perusing
> the manuals and the 65b PDF of course before I asked. I always do that to
> prevent incredibly stupid questions... so perhaps this is just
'reasonably'
> stupid?

> thanks!

Do you have Center Object turned on in the viewport?

simple question for a simple mind (mine!)

Post by Tesselato » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:14:30

Quote:> Wow hey yeah! In fact I dont have to use the null at all, I can just select
> the subobject and as long as "center current item" is checked, it will
> always center on that object's pivot point it appears. Man, the things you
> learn...
> Thanks Jim!

NP.

The null thing comes in handy when you have something like one high detail
model loaded and you just want to get a look at a small part of it.  That
or you have thousands of objects loaded that you want to gracefully zoom
and rotate around.  It's a little easyer /for me/ if I'm in quad view, than
using only the Viewport Title tools.   You can "remember" views with keyframes
on that null object, that way too.

simple question for a simple mind (mine!)

Post by Ron Spectr » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:06:39

Yup I do now Thanks!

> > It is going to sound silly I am SURE. BUT... (sigh)... when you are in
> > layout and you want to utilize the perspective view to rotate around a
> > detail on your extensive model, ....uhh.... how do you do that? I
figured
> > since it was object dependent where the apparent rotation origin was
> located
> > that it was tied to the pivot point on a per-object basis, but I have a
> > number of objects that have their pivot points located smack dab in
their
> > middle and the rotation still occurs WAY outside the object off in a
place
> > where the slightest rotation sends the entire extensive object out of
> view.

> > So there must be a simple way to do this RIGHT. RIGHT? I have been
> perusing
> > the manuals and the 65b PDF of course before I asked. I always do that
> > prevent incredibly stupid questions... so perhaps this is just
> 'reasonably'
> > stupid?

> > thanks!

> Do you have Center Object turned on in the viewport?

1. Simple question from a simple minded guy

Boss asked me to see if I could find out how to insert comments (for
archive purposes) into GIF and JPG files.  Are there any packages that
will do this?  Is it possible to insert comments by simply 'cat'ing the
comments to the end of the file?  The GIF spec mentions comment
delimiters but an example would be helpful.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. compute a minkowski sum?

3. A SIMPLE QUESTION=A SIMPLE ANSWER RIGHT???

4. Make Action With Healing Brush

5. Simple Task, Simple Question

6. Customized rendering under Inventor

7. Simple Guy, Simple Question: spine interpolation?

8. image generation

9. !!!! SIMPLE PROBLEM needs SIMPLE TOOL !!!!!

10. Need help w/ simple simple 2D thing

11. Need simple help for this simple idiot.

12. How to partition a non-simple polygon with holes into some simple polygons

13. looking for simple meshes in simple format