Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by bk.. » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am looking to get a new graphics card for my machine.  Right now I
have a PII 333Mhz, 128mb RAM, FireGL 1000 8mb card.  I can't afford to
spend more than a few hundred right now, so I am not sure whether I am
better off just keeping the FireGL.  I need something that will work
well with Maya and Lightwave.  My operating systems are Win98 and
Win2000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not all that informed when
it comes to graphics cards, so the more specific description, the
better.

Thanks in advance!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Plisske » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I am looking to get a new graphics card for my machine.  Right now I
>have a PII 333Mhz, 128mb RAM, FireGL 1000 8mb card.  I can't afford to
>spend more than a few hundred right now, so I am not sure whether I am
>better off just keeping the FireGL.  I need something that will work
>well with Maya and Lightwave.  My operating systems are Win98 and
>Win2000.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not all that informed when
>it comes to graphics cards, so the more specific description, the
>better.

>Thanks in advance!

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Get the GeForce or the VX1.  The VX1 has fantastic drivers.  The
GeForce is said to have less-than-stellar drivers (but I haven't found
any problems yet!)

Plissken

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Michae » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There is a good site called dccworkstation.com look under the buyers guide
for  graphic cards..Hope it helps. my 2cents worth is that 3dlabs has the
most support & drivers..

> I am looking to get a new graphics card for my machine.  Right now I
> have a PII 333Mhz, 128mb RAM, FireGL 1000 8mb card.  I can't afford to
> spend more than a few hundred right now, so I am not sure whether I am
> better off just keeping the FireGL.  I need something that will work
> well with Maya and Lightwave.  My operating systems are Win98 and
> Win2000.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not all that informed when
> it comes to graphics cards, so the more specific description, the
> better.

> Thanks in advance!

> Before you buy.

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Roni » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

The Creative GeForce DDR is a really good card and is twice as
fast than a TNT2 Ultra and 50% faster than a GVX1. The drivers
are just fine. I am running Windows 2000 and LW 5.6 without any
problems. VERY FAST and worth the cash.

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Robert Kauffma » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

We had alot of problems with the NVidia cards like geforce and TNT when we
got our L6 upgrades, so we upgraded to Oxygen GVX1 ($639) and that fixed any
problems we were having.

RobertK

Quote:> The Creative GeForce DDR is a really good card and is twice as
> fast than a TNT2 Ultra and 50% faster than a GVX1. The drivers
> are just fine. I am running Windows 2000 and LW 5.6 without any
> problems. VERY FAST and worth the cash.

*

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Alex » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Go for the GeForce. I have never had any problems with mine.
Hope this helps
Alex B

> I am looking to get a new graphics card for my machine.  Right now I
> have a PII 333Mhz, 128mb RAM, FireGL 1000 8mb card.  I can't afford to
> spend more than a few hundred right now, so I am not sure whether I am
> better off just keeping the FireGL.  I need something that will work
> well with Maya and Lightwave.  My operating systems are Win98 and
> Win2000.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not all that informed when
> it comes to graphics cards, so the more specific description, the
> better.

> Thanks in advance!

> Before you buy.

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by jeff3 » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I am looking to get a new graphics card for my machine.  Right now I
> have a PII 333Mhz, 128mb RAM, FireGL 1000 8mb card.  I can't afford to
> spend more than a few hundred right now, so I am not sure whether I am
> better off just keeping the FireGL.  I need something that will work
> well with Maya and Lightwave.  My operating systems are Win98 and
> Win2000.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not all that informed when
> it comes to graphics cards, so the more specific description, the
> better.

> Thanks in advance!

> Before you buy.

Hi. For Maya, buy at least another 128mb RAM also.

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Nick G » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hey,

I have VX1 and It works not really fine with LW6
For Example when I place background image in a viewport of modeler the
background image looks like rather as a yellow recltangle or corrupted image
but not the original image.

I have updtated drivers from 3DLabs site.

Nick.

Quote:> The Creative GeForce DDR is a really good card and is twice as
> fast than a TNT2 Ultra and 50% faster than a GVX1. The drivers
> are just fine. I am running Windows 2000 and LW 5.6 without any
> problems. VERY FAST and worth the cash.

*

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Brandon Armstron » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Check out the following:

http://3dlabs.gagames.com/#mar03001

You be surprised how a little thing like an old driver file/registy value
can pooch your graphics adapter's performance.

Cheers,
Brandon
_____________________
PGR - A 3Dlabs users site.
http://3dlabs.gagames.com

> Hey,

> I have VX1 and It works not really fine with LW6
> For Example when I place background image in a viewport of modeler the
> background image looks like rather as a yellow recltangle or corrupted
image
> but not the original image.

> I have updtated drivers from 3DLabs site.

> Nick.

> > The Creative GeForce DDR is a really good card and is twice as
> > fast than a TNT2 Ultra and 50% faster than a GVX1. The drivers
> > are just fine. I am running Windows 2000 and LW 5.6 without any
> > problems. VERY FAST and worth the cash.

> > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network
> *
> > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have VX1 and It works not really fine with LW6
> For Example when I place background image in a viewport of modeler the
> background image looks like rather as a yellow recltangle or corrupted image
> but not the original image.

You do not say which operating system you are running. However, on the
assumption that you are running WinNT4.0 with Service Pack 6a (the
recommended O/S) then you should know that this is a known problem with
LW6 and some 3DLabs graphics cards (including the GMX2000 and VX1) which
is being addressed by Newtek and 3DLabs. The following temporary
workaround was posted by 3DLabs Tech Support to people on the Beta Force
who encountered the problem. It may fix it for you :

We have investigated this issue and here is a workaround which should
fix
this problem:

Go to start menu then up to Run
Type regedt32 then click OK
Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Double click on SYSTEM
Double click on Current Control Set
Double click on Services
Double click on glint
Double click on Device0
Click Edit then AddValue
Value Name: enter OpenGL.DisableDisplayListTextureSwitch
Data Type: select REG_DWORD
Click OK
In DWORD editor enter 1 for the data
Click OK
Close regedt32
Reboot system.

RMEMBER, this only applies to WINDOWS NT 4.0 installations. Do not try
this with Win 95/98 or Win 2000. Also, as this involves a registry edit,
do please be very careful to follow the instructions to the letter.

Regards

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Nick G » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your replies

I've tried to clean up regesry entries and remove old drivers
and also tried to enter this new regestry opengl record... unfortunately it
does't work :(

I'd like to know is that VX1 bug or LW6 bug?

Quote:> > I have VX1 and It works not really fine with LW6
> > For Example when I place background image in a viewport of modeler the
> > background image looks like rather as a yellow recltangle or corrupted
image
> > but not the original image.

> You do not say which operating system you are running. However, on the
> assumption that you are running WinNT4.0 with Service Pack 6a (the
> recommended O/S) then you should know that this is a known problem with
> LW6 and some 3DLabs graphics cards (including the GMX2000 and VX1) which
> is being addressed by Newtek and 3DLabs. The following temporary
> workaround was posted by 3DLabs Tech Support to people on the Beta Force
> who encountered the problem. It may fix it for you :

> We have investigated this issue and here is a workaround which should
> fix
> this problem:

> Go to start menu then up to Run
> Type regedt32 then click OK
> Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> Double click on SYSTEM
> Double click on Current Control Set
> Double click on Services
> Double click on glint
> Double click on Device0
> Click Edit then AddValue
> Value Name: enter OpenGL.DisableDisplayListTextureSwitch
> Data Type: select REG_DWORD
> Click OK
> In DWORD editor enter 1 for the data
> Click OK
> Close regedt32
> Reboot system.

> RMEMBER, this only applies to WINDOWS NT 4.0 installations. Do not try
> this with Win 95/98 or Win 2000. Also, as this involves a registry edit,
> do please be very careful to follow the instructions to the letter.

> Regards

> Kevin F Stubbs
> Kayef Select Limited

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Jay Chernic » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

The registry fix *does* work, but for some reason the background image
problem still sometimes glitches. If you still get a yellow background,
try changing some display setting (changing the resolution, re-loading
the image, anything!) and the background image will often show properly
the *second* time you try.

Jay

> Thanks for your replies

> I've tried to clean up regesry entries and remove old drivers
> and also tried to enter this new regestry opengl record... unfortunately it
> does't work :(

> I'd like to know is that VX1 bug or LW6 bug?

> > > I have VX1 and It works not really fine with LW6
> > > For Example when I place background image in a viewport of modeler the
> > > background image looks like rather as a yellow recltangle or corrupted
> image
> > > but not the original image.

> > You do not say which operating system you are running. However, on the
> > assumption that you are running WinNT4.0 with Service Pack 6a (the
> > recommended O/S) then you should know that this is a known problem with
> > LW6 and some 3DLabs graphics cards (including the GMX2000 and VX1) which
> > is being addressed by Newtek and 3DLabs. The following temporary
> > workaround was posted by 3DLabs Tech Support to people on the Beta Force
> > who encountered the problem. It may fix it for you :

> > We have investigated this issue and here is a workaround which should
> > fix
> > this problem:

> > Go to start menu then up to Run
> > Type regedt32 then click OK
> > Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> > Double click on SYSTEM
> > Double click on Current Control Set
> > Double click on Services
> > Double click on glint
> > Double click on Device0
> > Click Edit then AddValue
> > Value Name: enter OpenGL.DisableDisplayListTextureSwitch
> > Data Type: select REG_DWORD
> > Click OK
> > In DWORD editor enter 1 for the data
> > Click OK
> > Close regedt32
> > Reboot system.

> > RMEMBER, this only applies to WINDOWS NT 4.0 installations. Do not try
> > this with Win 95/98 or Win 2000. Also, as this involves a registry edit,
> > do please be very careful to follow the instructions to the letter.

> > Regards

> > Kevin F Stubbs
> > Kayef Select Limited

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Darren I Thompso » Mon, 06 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Check pricing as the Elsa ErazorX and X2 outperform the Creative GeForce.
This is why we took on distributorship of this product of its competitors.

Cheers

--
Darren I Thompson
New Magic Pty Ltd

Quote:> The Creative GeForce DDR is a really good card and is twice as
> fast than a TNT2 Ultra and 50% faster than a GVX1. The drivers
> are just fine. I am running Windows 2000 and LW 5.6 without any
> problems. VERY FAST and worth the cash.

*

Graphics card recommendation wanted

Post by Leonard Oma » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Darren,
how much faster is the Elsa Erazor X2 than the Creative GeForce DDR? by a lot?
Are the specs/default clock speed the same?
In what other ways is the Erazor better, extra features,etc.?
I heard that Elsa has quite a good reputation, esp. for drivers.
Does Elsa update their drivers often?
Creative seems to be popular among gamers.

Thanks a lot,
Leo
(trying to decide which GeForce card to buy)

Quote:> Check pricing as the Elsa ErazorX and X2 outperform the Creative GeForce.
> This is why we took on distributorship of this product of its competitors.

> Cheers

1. Graphics card recommendation wanted

I am looking to get a new graphics card for my machine.  Right now I
have a PII 333Mhz, 128mb RAM, FireGL 1000 8mb card.  I can't afford to
spend more than a few hundred right now, so I am not sure whether I am
better off just keeping the FireGL.  I need something that will work
well with Maya and Lightwave.  My operating systems are Win98 and
Win2000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not all that informed when
it comes to graphics cards, so the more specific description, the
better.

Thanks in advance!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. mocap

3. video card recommendations wanted

4. TECHNICAL WRITER needed

5. Graphics Card Recommendation Needed

6. Does anyone know how to print the .DAT manuals on the Schreiber cd?

7. Graphics card recommendations and problem

8. Camera Yaw/Pitch in Direct3D

9. Any Graphics Card Recommendations?

10. Recommendations needed:graphics card

11. VLB Graphics Card Recommendations?

12. PC 24-bit graphics card recommendations?

13. Need a recommendation for a PCI graphics card