qemLOSS - Free plugin for SGI, Intel, and Alpha

qemLOSS - Free plugin for SGI, Intel, and Alpha

Post by Marvin Landi » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

qemLOSS (Lightwave Object Surface Simplification) is a free plugin
available for the SGI, Intel, and Alpha platforms. It is a Modeler
plugin that uses a surface simplification algorithm in an attempt to
reduce the number of polygons in a Lightwave object. The plugin allows
the user to rapidly produce good quality approximations of excessively
detailed polygonal models.

This plugin does polygon reduction similar to Decimate, but uses a
completely different algorithm that in most cases seems to work better
for objects that will be used for level of detail type applications and
objects that can be used as low-res stand-ins while doing scene layout.
Decimate was intended for applications where the object's topology needs
to be preserved (medical 3D isosurface reconstructions). qemLOSS does
not have the restriction of preserving the topology, and therefore in
most cases, will provide more reduction but still provide a good
approximation to the original object.

Thanks goes to Matthew Sorrels for porting this plugin to the Intel and
Alpha platforms, his assistance is always very valuable and greatly
appreciated.

More about this plugin, how to download, and its usage can be found on
this web page:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss.html

or you can get to it from my main plugins page at:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/

I'm always interested in hearing how people are using these plugins, so
if you use it drop me a line, or send a message to the newsgroup
describing what you've done.

--
Marvin Landis
WWW Page:       http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/marvinl.html

Post by K.Care » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> qemLOSS (Lightwave Object Surface Simplification) is a free plugin
> available for the SGI, Intel, and Alpha platforms. It is a Modeler
> plugin that uses a surface simplification algorithm in an attempt to
> reduce the number of polygons in a Lightwave object. The plugin allows
> the user to rapidly produce good quality approximations of excessively
> detailed polygonal models.

> This plugin does polygon reduction similar to Decimate, but uses a
> completely different algorithm that in most cases seems to work better
> for objects that will be used for level of detail type applications and
> objects that can be used as low-res stand-ins while doing scene layout.
> Decimate was intended for applications where the object's topology needs
> to be preserved (medical 3D isosurface reconstructions). qemLOSS does
> not have the restriction of preserving the topology, and therefore in
> most cases, will provide more reduction but still provide a good
> approximation to the original object.

Amazing...exactly what I was looking for. Great work!!!

-k.carey

1. A nifty plugin for Lightwave 4.0 or 5.0 (Intel, Alpha, Amiga, and SGI versions)

Oops!  I forgot to mention, the effect of Surface Effectors can
also be modulated using a fully animateable fractal noise texture
(by animateable, I mean rotateable, scaleable, and moveable during
the course of an animation).

-- Prem
Prem Subrahmanyam

Programmer, graphics designer, fossil nut extraordinaire.
http://dev.uol.com/~prem/index.html

"Have you seen my graptolites today?" -
http://dev.uol.com/~prem/fossil.html
Eye Candy - http://dev.uol.com/~prem/graphics.html

Member of "Dogbert's New Ruling Class"
Official Title: Minister of Lightwave 3d Plugin Design Foolishness

"Often the greatest testimonies of victory come not from battles won
with little resistance, but from victories won against overwhelming
opposition."

2. IMAC??? Advice requested

3. New Free DOF_Blur plugin for Alpha/Intel plus source

4. Use PSP to create Visio Symbols?

5. Free LOD plugin for Intel, Amiga and SGI...

6. Please help me?

7. DEMScape LW plugin for SGI and Intel (free!)

8. modeler replace plugin for intel/alpha?

9. Intel vs SGI vs Alpha RENDER??

10. ** Intel vs SGI vs Alpha ???

11. Intel vs SGI vs Alpha RENDER??