Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Doug Boettch » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Anyone know any more details as to what has happened to LWPro and VTU?
I think Joe Tracy had posted something a while back regarding their "demise"
but I never did get the details.

Thanks.

Post by J. Eric Char » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Boettcher) writes:

> >Anyone know any more details as to what has happened to LWPro and VTU?
> >I think Joe Tracy had posted something a while back regarding their
> "demise" but I never did get the details.

> They died.<SNIP>

        More accurately, they were KILLED.  Big difference.

Quote:>  Joe Tracy is the editor of a new magazine, "NewTekniques".
> The first issue is scheduled for April.

> -M.

**    Shooter, Gaffer, Animator for the End of the Millenium          **
*************************** Seattle  ***********************************

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Joe Tra » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone know any more details as to what has happened to LWPro and VTU?
>I think Joe Tracy had posted something a while back regarding their "demise"
>but I never did get the details.

Only the executives at Miller Freeman know the real reason that LWPro
and VTU were shut down.  Many people have speculated with opinions
ranging from "lack of advertising" to "trying to boost subscriptions
of DV Video and 3D Design by giving them as replacements".

While the real reason remains unknown, I do know that I'll never
forget the surprise when I got "the" phone call on Tuesday, October
15, 1996 at 1:30PM in the afternoon from one of Miller Freeman's vice
presidents.  The call had come only a short few weeks after detailed
discussions had taken place on combining the two magazines into one.
I was not given the reason.

There is still one more issue of Video Toaster User slated to come
out.  I called the other day to see how their progress was on it and
they said it "was at the printers" and that "advertising problems" had
created the delays.  It should be to subscribers by early February.
You can't miss it - the cover has the Titanic sinking!

Growing up, one of the philosophies I lived by was that there is a
"silver lining behind every dark cloud".  I have found NewTekniques to
be that silver lining.  In a very round about way, NewTekniques could
be considered a "VTU & LWPro" combined with the focus on techniques
and tutorials.  My kudos goes to Advanstar for seeing the potential in
these markets and to NewTek for establishing a close relationship with
Advanstar and the magazine to make NewTekniques all the more better.
The premiere issue is in April (NAB-time) and will be quarterly for
1997 followed by once every two months for 1998.  I've posted
subscription information below.

Sincerely,

Joe Tracy, Editor in Chief
NewTekniques

former Video Toaster User Editor in Chief

Cost:           $32 (covers you through 1998)
Issues:         9 Total (3 in 1997 & 6 in 1998)

CANADA & MEXICO
Subscription Phone #:   218-723-9477

Cost:           $42
Issues:         9 Total (3 in 1997 & 6 in 1998)

ALL OTHER FOREIGN AREAS
Subscription Phone #:   218-723-9477

Cost:           $58
Issues:         9 Total (3 in 1997) & 6 in 1998

You can also mail a check or money order to NewTekniques Magazine,
ATT: Subscription Department, 131 West First Street, Duluth, MN
55802-2065.

NewTekniques is an independent publication of Advanstar that is
created in close association with NewTek to give users the best and
most reliable information, news, and tutorials on NewTek products.
From the Flyer to LightWave 3D, NewTekniques is filled with tutorials,
tips, reviews and techniques to take your productions and animations
to the next level.  NewTekniques will also keep you posted on new
NewTek product introductions, as they occur, which will also receive
coverage in NewTekniques magazine.

For more information on NewTekniques magazine e-mail me via

on the NewTekniques Information List by asking to be included.  The
NewTekniques Information List periodically receives special
behind-the-scenes information on NewTekniques magazine.

Post by marcmy.. » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Boettcher) writes:
>Anyone know any more details as to what has happened to LWPro and VTU?
>I think Joe Tracy had posted something a while back regarding their
"demise"
>but I never did get the details.

They died.  Joe Tracy is the editor of a new magazine, "NewTekniques".

Post by Greg L. Kimna » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>> Boettcher) writes:

>> >Anyone know any more details as to what has happened to LWPro and VTU?
>> >I think Joe Tracy had posted something a while back regarding their
>> "demise" but I never did get the details.

>> They died.<SNIP>

>        More accurately, they were KILLED.  Big difference.

depends upon your perspective:-)

--
regards,
greg

I opted for Betamax, the world for VHS;               /
                I for Amiga, the world for IBM clones./
"Do or do not!  There is no 'try' "--Yoda             /
        http://powerweb.lerc.nasa.gov                 /
------------------------------------------------------/

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Kip Pesut » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Thus saith Greg L. Kimnach in the year of our Lord 31-Jan-97 09:28:07 :

>says...

>>> "demise" but I never did get the details.

>>> They died.<SNIP>

>>        More accurately, they were KILLED.  Big difference.
>depends upon your perspective:-)

They were euthanized. I always thought VTU was going down since Jim Plant left.
Then McAuliffe didn't stick around long. Now I look forward to seeing Joe Tracy
get a second chance with NewTekniques. And LightWavin' looks pretty cool, too.
Even if it does have an abundance of Lightspeed spam in it ;) But it's a
beautiful magazine, anyway.

With both coming online (no, I don't mean on the net) so quickly, hopefully
we won't miss VTU or LWPRO, all that much.

 God bless you!
(and your Amiga)
-Kip

Post by Mike Youn » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >says...

> >>        More accurately, they were KILLED.  Big difference.

> >depends upon your perspective:-)

> They were euthanized. I always thought VTU was going down since Jim Plant left.
> Then McAuliffe didn't stick around long. Now I look forward to seeing Joe Tracy
> get a second chance with NewTekniques. And LightWavin' looks pretty cool, too.
> Even if it does have an abundance of Lightspeed spam in it ;) But it's a
> beautiful magazine, anyway.

> With both coming online (no, I don't mean on the net) so quickly, hopefully
> we won't miss VTU or LWPRO, all that much.

>  God bless you!
> (and your Amiga)
> -Kip

Hey kids...

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Mike Youn » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >says...

> >>        More accurately, they were KILLED.  Big difference.

> >depends upon your perspective:-)

> They were euthanized. I always thought VTU was going down since Jim Plant left.
> Then McAuliffe didn't stick around long. Now I look forward to seeing Joe Tracy
> get a second chance with NewTekniques. And LightWavin' looks pretty cool, too.
> Even if it does have an abundance of Lightspeed spam in it ;) But it's a
> beautiful magazine, anyway.

> With both coming online (no, I don't mean on the net) so quickly, hopefully
> we won't miss VTU or LWPRO, all that much.

>  God bless you!
> (and your Amiga)
> -Kip

Hey Kids...
         if this be true... if the almighty VTU and LW pro are dead... does that mean no refund on a subscription that was not fufilled?

What up with dat?
Mike

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Kip Pesut » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Thus saith Mike Young in the year of our Lord 01-Feb-97 03:36:03 :

Quote:>Hey Kids...
>         if this be true... if the almighty VTU and LW pro are dead... does
>         that mean no refund on a subscription that was not fufilled?
>What up with dat?
>Mike

Dis info has been floating about this and other related groups for a while.
You have to call MF and request a refund and/or staighten them out on you
situation.

I'm soory I don't have the contact info on me at the moment. Maybe somebody
else (Joe Tracy?) can repost it or email it to you.

 God bless you!
(and your Amiga)
-Kip

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Joe Tra » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> They were euthanized. I always thought VTU was going down since Jim Plant left.
>> Then McAuliffe didn't stick around long. Now I look forward to seeing Joe Tracy
>> get a second chance with NewTekniques.

Jim Plant has contributed so much to the
Amiga/Video/Toaster/Flyer/LightWave community that to try and list
them all would take up pages of work.  I had a deep respect for Jim
Plant before going to work for VTU.  After, my respect has only
deepend.  His insights, counseling, suggestions, and direction were
always on the mark.

I also have a respect for Tom Patrick McAuliffe who, even after
leaving the position, continued to provide any information and insight
to make the transition smooth.

1997 was going to be a great year for VTU had the plug not been pulled
so soon.   But NewTek and Advanstar saw the potential and wasted no
time in putting together a first class opportunity for users within a
few weeks of Miller Freeman's announcement.  Now that opportunity will
soon be a reality and I'm very appreciative to Advanstar, NewTek and
you for providing me with the opportunity to be involved as
editor-in-chief.

Those of you who have interacted with me know that I'm very open to
your ideas, suggestions and opinions.  In fact, I work better with
them.  Ultimately you are the number one reason this magazine has been
created so please help me make sure that I am meeting your needs.

Respectfully and appreciative,

Joe Tracy, Editor in Chief
NewTeknique

Post by marcmy.. » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>    More accurately, they were KILLED.  Big difference.

Good point.  Assisted by Dr. Miller "Kavorkian" Freeman.  <g>

-M.

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Jean-Eric Hénaul » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > They died.<SNIP>

>         More accurately, they were KILLED.  Big difference.

No, not KILLED, Terminated would be more like it... ;-) Let's terminate
your registrations to any Miller Freeman publications and long live
NewTechniques.

Jean-Eric

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Jean-Eric Hénaul » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Anyone know any more details as to what has happened to LWPro and VTU?
> I think Joe Tracy had posted something a while back regarding their "demise"
> but I never did get the details.

Well, about 6-12 months ago, Miller Freeman, who currently publishes
magazines like 3D Design and Digital Video (DV), purchased Avid
Communications, which produced both VTU and LW Pro. They promissed they
would help develop these two publications even further.

But recently, they decided to terminate both VTU and LW Pro, trying to
concentrate both the advertising revenues and readership to DV and 3D
Design respectivelly.

An other publisher will soon release a new magazine called
NewTechniques. Most of the crew that made LW Pro and VTU so special will
be back in the pages of this new publication.

When it was announced that both VTU and LW pro would be terminated, I
urged everyone to boycott Miller Freeman. It seems to have yielded
unexpected results. Apparently, people are not only cancelling their
subscriptions to both LW Pro and VTU and switching to this
NewTechniques, they are also cancelling their subscribtions to both DV
and 3D Design!!! Nobody messes with LW users... ;-) Especially not
Miller Freeman.

Jean-Eric

Lightwave Pro and Video Toaster User

Post by Joe Tra » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>Hey Kids...
>>         if this be true... if the almighty VTU and LW pro are dead... does
>>         that mean no refund on a subscription that was not fufilled?

>>What up with dat?
>>Mike

>Dis info has been floating about this and other related groups for a while.
>You have to call MF and request a refund and/or staighten them out on you
>situation.

>I'm soory I don't have the contact info on me at the moment. Maybe somebody
>else (Joe Tracy?) can repost it or email it to you.

Here's the number to call for a refund for your remaining VTU
subscription:

Inside U.S. - 1-888-776-7002
Outside U.S. - 847-647-8311

Here's the number to call for a refund for your remaining LWPro
subscription:

1-800-829-2505

-------

To subscribe to NewTekniques, the premiere VTU & LWPro "replacement"
call:
1-800-346-0085 (U.S.)
or
218-723-9477 (outside U.S.)

Your subscription covers the three issues this year and the six issues
next year.  You'll be able to keep up to date on all the latest
information, techniques, products and tips for NewTek products,
particularly LightWave 3D.  More LightWave 3D information will be
available in NewTekniques than any other publication.  Columnists
include John Gross, Scott Wheeler, and Mojo.  Other LightWave 3D
experts have contributed tutorials, tips, and techniques.

If you would like any more information on NewTekniques or if you have

I'd be more than happy to personally answer your questions.

Sincerely,

Joe Tracy, Editor in Chief
NewTekniques