FireGL To Suck or not to Suck

Post by James Han » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have read quite a few comments on this newsgroup and have mixed views
of the Diamond Fire GL1000.

Many people have said that "it sucked", I ask, in what context. I have
seen people use the American-English phrase to mean the card is not very
good and I have also seen people use it to mean that something is very
good. Obviously being English myself I am very nieve towards you people.

A side question about the Fire GL does it only accelerate the OpenGl
previews, or does it accelerate wireframe redraws in Lightwave as well,
I know for a fact that its 2D, general Windows application use is around
16% slower than the Matrox Millenium.

Yours in Wonder

James.

FireGL To Suck or not to Suck

Post by DEX DEXT » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have read quite a few comments on this newsgroup and have mixed views
>of the Diamond Fire GL1000.

>Many people have said that "it sucked", I ask, in what context. I have
>seen people use the American-English phrase to mean the card is not very
>good and I have also seen people use it to mean that something is very
>good. Obviously being English myself I am very nieve towards you people.

>A side question about the Fire GL does it only accelerate the OpenGl
>previews, or does it accelerate wireframe redraws in Lightwave as well,
>I know for a fact that its 2D, general Windows application use is around
>16% slower than the Matrox Millenium.

>Yours in Wonder

>James.

hi James

I use the FireGL1000  in 2 low-produktion workstation cause
i get them for 199 bucks .

a few words to the GL :

    The permedia + Delta chipset, like in many
    other cheap GL-cards comming out next months,
    (winfast/intergraph...)
   is a good price/power hammer .
   In the 3dlabs bench they beat the more expensive
   cards like the small Oxygen .
  ( see on www.3dlabs.com)

   The problem with this card is that you
   get the performance you can have with 8MB .
   the permedia have no texture accel ..no filtering ..
   and many other features a Glint TX have . but
  for this price what would you want .
  with this memory you can use it with LW in a 1280x16k
  resolution with single buffered accel.
  The NT4.0 drivers have support for Softimage 3.01
  and 3.51 and i hear it absolutely useable under softimage
 if you have no trouble with the 16bit Zbuffer .
  Ithink the fire GL 1000 (hardware aceleration)
and other permedia/delta
  cards are a much better choice then a lame MGA
  cards ( software Aceleration).. and the price is the same .

  one negative thing i will not hide :

       - only 320 or 640 Vga modes ( no SVGA )
      - 2 D Speed is incredible slow (permedia
        build in ) it  seems that when the system use
       a open GL -instruction the 2D pipe in the permedia
       get suck .. but i am no shure ..

ps. i read in this NG that LW.5.0 dont use the
      full Open GL -library ...is this True ?

DEX

-- Member of D.I.C.K Europa    -----

FireGL To Suck or not to Suck

Post by PHILG » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

In regards to your sucking or not sucking. I do not have a FireGL card so
I can't advise you there. My Matrox Mystique seems to speed things up a
tiny bit, but I can't tell, but I digress. I just wanted to let you know
about the use of the slang. When something "sucks" it is bad.Period. When
you describe something as "sucking" or "sucky" or "sucking wind" it all
means pretty much the same thing. I have never heard of using "it sucks"
to describe anything except negatively. Now "bad" is another story.
Phil G.