Animating Glow effect

Post by glen porte » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effect
on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be able
to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct in
that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned on
on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph
again back to object 1?
kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before I
waste a lot of valuable time.

Thanks,

G-Man

Animating Glow effect

Post by J. Eric Char » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
> within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effect
> on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
> effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be able
> to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct in
> that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned on
> on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph
> again back to object 1?
> kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before I
> waste a lot of valuable time.

> Thanks,

> G-Man

        That would work, but you should really invest in Pontari's SUPER GLOW
plugin-- it's very reasonably priced, upgraded regularly, and very
flexible.

        http://www.serv.net/pontari/lightwave/./

**   "It's a sad thing that a family can be torn apart by something  **
**               as simple as a pack of wild dogs."                  **
**   Shooting, Gaffing, and Animation for the End of the Millenium   **
*************************** Seattle ***********************************

Animating Glow effect

Post by Paul Oberlande » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
> within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effect
> on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
> effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be able
> to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct in
> that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned on
> on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph
> again back to object 1?
> kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before I
> waste a lot of valuable time.

> Thanks,

> G-Man

PS.  There is a demo version(limited to 320x240 output)

Paul
--

"The greater the diameter of your knowledge, the
greater the circumference of your ignorance..."

Animating Glow effect

Post by Paul Oberlande » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
> within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effect
> on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
> effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be able
> to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct in
> that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned on
> on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph
> again back to object 1?
> kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before I
> waste a lot of valuable time.

> Thanks,

> G-Man

Get SuperGlow from Pontari.  At $50 it is one of the more affordable and
useful LW plugins.

http://www.pontari.com/pontari/superglow/index.html

Paul
--

"The greater the diameter of your knowledge, the
greater the circumference of your ignorance..."

Animating Glow effect

Post by wcurr.. » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

without spending $50.00, you can create two objects an "object fade"
(ramp the opacity of one from zero to 100 precent as you do the inverse
of the other) between them to achieve the effect you are looking for. On
a more complicated effect you may want to look into yhe plugin route.

> Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
> within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effect
> on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
> effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be able
> to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct in
> that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned on
> on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph
> again back to object 1?
> kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before I
> waste a lot of valuable time.

> Thanks,

> G-Man

Animating Glow effect

Post by Mark Dunaki » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> =

> > Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface=
> > within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow eff=
ect
> > on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
> > effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be ab=
le
> > to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct =
in
> > that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned o=
> > on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph=
> > again back to object 1?
> > kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before =
> > waste a lot of valuable time.

> > Thanks,

> > G-Man
> =
> Get SuperGlow from Pontari.  At $50 it is one of the more affordable an=
> useful LW plugins.

=3D=3D=3D
I am not sure about this, but I DL'd that demo plugin and it seemed to
me that when you went to render out an image using the super glow
features, that it took forever and a year to render out. Is this really
true, or was I just doing something totally wrong? Now I was trying to
render out scenes that had a few thousand particles from PStorm, but I
can use the regular `ol glow effect that comes with LW and it renders
out in just a fraction of the time. When I watched the render window, I
also noticed that it was like it was counting out thousnads of counts
(numbers) like as if it were trying to calculate every single particle.
Now maybe that is what all of these things do, but the normal glow
feature is just plain a zillion times faster. (and yes I know, that
probably SG does wayyy more then the regular glow, but at what cost?)

Anybody know what the clue is here or does it really always take that
long to render with that plugin. Cuz I was orriginally wanting to get
it, but when I seen this, then it just kinda seemed like that would be a
waste of rendering time, to me at least....................md

> =
> http://www.pontari.com/pontari/superglow/index.html
> =
> Paul
> --

> =
> "The greater the diameter of your knowledge, the
> greater the circumference of your ignorance..."

-- =

=D0=CF=11=E0=A1=B1=1A=E1

Animating Glow effect

Post by Mark Dunaki » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Actually, to me, that sounds about right for what you seem to be trying
to achieve. At least without using some sort of plugin......md :)

> =
> Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
> within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effec=
> on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
> effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be able=
> to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct in=
> that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned on
> on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph
> again back to object 1?
> kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before I
> waste a lot of valuable time.
> =
> Thanks,
> =
> G-Man

-- =

=D0=CF=11=E0=A1=B1=1A=E1

Animating Glow effect

Post by DCarlson » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
>within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effect
>on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
>effect turned on for the entire sequence....

  Try doing a morph target with morph surfaces turned on... one surface with
 glow, one without.

David Carlson
- Area 51 -

Animating Glow effect

Post by Matthew Sorre » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I am not sure about this, but I DL'd that demo plugin and it seemed to
>me that when you went to render out an image using the super glow
>features, that it took forever and a year to render out. Is this really
>true, or was I just doing something totally wrong?

Were you running the demo version under LightWave 5.5?  We haven't
updated the demo binaries in some time and due to some bugs/changes in
the way LW 5.5 does the user interface panels, some parameters in the
main Super Glow panel can become zero, which can have bad effects on
final render time.  And in some cases make the glow effect not appear at
all.  We are considering updating our demo with the very latest version
of Super Glow that shipped the day LightWave 5.5 shipped which of course
fixes this problem.  The pirate/cracker market seems to be acting as a
great deterrent however.  In fact we may just remove the demo entirely.

As for speed, Super Glow offers two modes of glow a fast edge based glow
and the traditional every point radiates glow.  Our fast edged based
glow is 10-20 times faster than NewTek's glow.  Our slow glow is about
the same as the built in glow(slightly faster sometimes, never worse).
Is it possible you didn't turn off the normal glow in the scene(ie you
were rendering both a NewTek glow and a Super Glow?).

Pontari Productions  (http://www.pontari.com/pontari)

Animating Glow effect

Post by Mark Dunaki » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> =

> =
> >I am not sure about this, but I DL'd that demo plugin and it seemed to=
> >me that when you went to render out an image using the super glow
> >features, that it took forever and a year to render out. Is this reall=
> >true, or was I just doing something totally wrong?
> =
> Were you running the demo version under LightWave 5.5?  We haven't
> updated the demo binaries in some time and due to some bugs/changes in
> the way LW 5.5 does the user interface panels, some parameters in the
> main Super Glow panel can become zero, which can have bad effects on
> final render time.  And in some cases make the glow effect not appear a=
> all.  We are considering updating our demo with the very latest version=
> of Super Glow that shipped the day LightWave 5.5 shipped which of cours=
> fixes this problem.  The pirate/cracker market seems to be acting as a
> great deterrent however.  In fact we may just remove the demo entirely.=
> =
> As for speed, Super Glow offers two modes of glow a fast edge based glo=
> and the traditional every point radiates glow.  Our fast edged based
> glow is 10-20 times faster than NewTek's glow.  Our slow glow is about
> the same as the built in glow(slightly faster sometimes, never worse).
> Is it possible you didn't turn off the normal glow in the scene(ie you
> were rendering both a NewTek glow and a Super Glow?).

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
hmmm....It's quite possible that I had both turned on. BTW, I am on LW
5.0 Alpha. And I'm sorry to hear about the pirates screwing you up :(
Anyway, maybe I'll give it another try and see what happens. But there
was also some other stange things going on. When I would click on a
button, (I don't remember which on) the next panels that came up were as
though all of the selections, i.e. different panels for different
selections, would all be kind of like, over laid, i.e. you could see
tons of words all over each other. But after then going back and
reselecting a button, or something like that, then it seemed to work
better. I really am very interested in this program, but way back when,
when I downloaded the thing and saw all these problems, well I just lost
interest. But lately I have been really getting into the glow type
effects and so needless to say, I have been having an increased interest
in such a program.

Thanx very much for your response and I'll see what happens......md :)

Post by Paul Oberlande » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > >I am not sure about this, but I DL'd that demo plugin and it seemed to
> > >me that when you went to render out an image using the super glow
> > >features, that it took forever and a year to render out. Is this really
> > >true, or was I just doing something totally wrong?

> > Were you running the demo version under LightWave 5.5?  We haven't
> > updated the demo binaries in some time and due to some bugs/changes in
> > the way LW 5.5 does the user interface panels, some parameters in the
> > main Super Glow panel can become zero, which can have bad effects on
> > final render time.  And in some cases make the glow effect not appear at
> > all.  We are considering updating our demo with the very latest version
> > of Super Glow that shipped the day LightWave 5.5 shipped which of course
> > fixes this problem.  The pirate/cracker market seems to be acting as a
> > great deterrent however.  In fact we may just remove the demo entirely.

> > As for speed, Super Glow offers two modes of glow a fast edge based glow
> > and the traditional every point radiates glow.  Our fast edged based
> > glow is 10-20 times faster than NewTek's glow.  Our slow glow is about
> > the same as the built in glow(slightly faster sometimes, never worse).
> > Is it possible you didn't turn off the normal glow in the scene(ie you
> > were rendering both a NewTek glow and a Super Glow?).
> ======================
> hmmm....It's quite possible that I had both turned on. BTW, I am on LW
> 5.0 Alpha. And I'm sorry to hear about the pirates screwing you up :(
> Anyway, maybe I'll give it another try and see what happens. But there
> was also some other stange things going on. When I would click on a
> button, (I don't remember which on) the next panels that came up were as
> though all of the selections, i.e. different panels for different
> selections, would all be kind of like, over laid, i.e. you could see
> tons of words all over each other. But after then going back and
> reselecting a button, or something like that, then it seemed to work
> better. I really am very interested in this program, but way back when,
> when I downloaded the thing and saw all these problems, well I just lost
> interest. But lately I have been really getting into the glow type
> effects and so needless to say, I have been having an increased interest
> in such a program.

> Thanx very much for your response and I'll see what happens......md :)

> > Pontari Productions  (http://www.pontari.com/pontari)

I have been experimenting lately with the feature which allows you to
animate glow parameters with Nulls.  This is an excellent program.  It
is well worth the money.

Paul
--

Post by Sean Hanno » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Here's my dilemma, I'm trying to animate the glow effect on a surface
> within a specific spot in time.  How ever I'm Also using the glow effect
> on some spot lights within the same scene in which I need the glow
> effect turned on for the entire sequence, so in essence I won't be able
> to use the effects envelope to achieve this.  Is my thinking correct in
> that I should metamorph the same object with the glow effect turned on
> on the second object and use an envelope there?  Then using Metamorph
> again back to object 1?
> kinda like a flash look.  Hope someone can give me the answer before I
> waste a lot of valuable time.

> Thanks,

> G-Man

I don't usually answer Feds on questions having to do with animation,
but here goes...
If you need to have the glow on full time for your spotlights, then yes,
use a morph target of a duplicate object to dissolve in with the glow
enabled in its separate surface attributes to achieve the other
temporary glow effect.  However,  you will be locked into the same glow
parameters for both the spotlights and the other surface.  I understand
that there is a plugin out there called SuperGlow or
MonumentallySpiffyGlow that will let you assign different glow
parameters to separate surfaces, but as I am on a Macintosh, this plugin
has not reached me yet so I don't know for certain.  Hope this helps.

Sean Hannon
Stardial Productions, Inc.

Animating Glow effect

Post by Paul Oberlande » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > I have been experimenting lately with the feature which allows you to
> > animate glow parameters with Nulls.  This is an excellent program.  It
> > is well worth the money.
> ================================
> Cool. You can do stuff like that? Well, this leads me to another
> question. Can this program work with the SE program and if so, how well?
> Cuz since they both (apparently) can use animated nulls, then I would
> think that you could come up with some really *in effects, right?
> thanx....................................................md :)

Actually, The last build of Surface Effectors has a check box, "Use
SuperGlow"  which allows you to apply the effects of both plugs in
tandem...

Also,  I just got through playing around with an object to which I
assigned several glows with Null object envelopes so that the different
glows would ramp up and down one after another.  Since you can have up
to 4 different glows (depending upon how many other surface plugins you
are using).  You can shift between those(and with morph surfaces you
could have 4 more).

Also, my last animation included very convincing steam created with
SuperGlow.  And it renders 20 times as fast as the steam tutorial for
Steamer....

Paul

At $50 Pontari has given us an excellent plugin....

Paul
--

Post by Mark Dunaki » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I have been experimenting lately with the feature which allows you to
> animate glow parameters with Nulls.  This is an excellent program.  It
> is well worth the money.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Cool. You can do stuff like that? Well, this leads me to another
question. Can this program work with the SE program and if so, how well?
Cuz since they both (apparently) can use animated nulls, then I would
think that you could come up with some really *in effects, right?
thanx....................................................md :)

> =
> Paul
> --

> =
> "The greater the diameter of your knowledge, the
> greater the circumference of your ignorance..."

-- =

=D0=CF=11=E0=A1=B1=1A=E1

Animating Glow effect

Post by Mark Dunaki » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Surface Effectors can be found at:
> =
> http://star.noblestar.net/~prems/ppp.html
> =
> However I(and many others) seem to be having some trouble getting at
> Prem's web pages for Surface Effectors.  I'm sure that's temporary(the
> error message today is at least different :-)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
I just tried to get to Prem's page too, but also recieved an error
message, which actually sayz that it wants some sort of password or
something like that.......................md :(

> =

> Pontari Productions  (http://www.pontari.com/pontari)

-- =

=D0=CF=11=E0=A1=B1=1A=E1

1. Animating Texture Effects and Light Effects

Hello world,
just a quick question which I couldn't resolve with manual and/or
Internet.

I have figured out how to use animation with movement and rotation of
objects. But what about the change of texture in an animation? Or the
changes of light properties (e.g. color, intensity etc.)

Generally spoken I want to animate (change over time) different
properties of different objects, but now I am stuck... (example would
be the flickering of light, change of bump map, fog...)

I have this idea of duplicating the object and changing the
visibility, but that cannot be the solution...

Thank you for any reply!

Arne

2. Pixel corrections and enhancements (fwd)

3. Animated Glow

4. 3dTronic texture resources: 600 free textures online

5. glow fx animating

6. Problems with Reflected Texture projection

7. Animating Glow Events

8. Animated Glow

9. animating glow

10. REQ: after effects "glow"