Lightwave 5.6 Illustrator Import Bug

Post by Stephen Buckle » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to import an Illustrator file into modeller,
I select the file and nothing happens nothing appears in modeller.
If I try to select the plug in again I get an access violation that crashes
Modeller.

Any Suggestions?

Lightwave 5.6 Illustrator Import Bug

Post by ColKa » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I realize this may be a daft question, but the file from Photoshop - you did
"stroke" your path to make the right type yes? - I forgot to do this once -
Also - try doing a small, simple shape first if yours is complex - just to
check the actions. I have 5.6 and the import plugin works fine!
-Colkai

--
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colkai

Lightwave 5.6 Illustrator Import Bug

Post by Bytehaw » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

What I do is this (it works in 5.6)
draw your "path" in photoshop with the different tools available
select your path
in the file menu under export - select illustrator
save under a sensible name
in modeler choose LW-illustrator-import
select your file
and boom - there you have it

>I realize this may be a daft question, but the file from Photoshop - you
did
>"stroke" your path to make the right type yes? - I forgot to do this once -
>Also - try doing a small, simple shape first if yours is complex - just to
>check the actions. I have 5.6 and the import plugin works fine!
>-Colkai

>> I am trying to import an Illustrator file into modeller,
>> I select the file and nothing happens nothing appears in modeller.
>> If I try to select the plug in again I get an access violation that
crashes
>> Modeller.

>> Any Suggestions?

>--
>http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colkai

Lightwave 5.6 Illustrator Import Bug

Post by ColKa » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi ByteH .. will try this and get back to you.
-Colkai

--
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colkai

Lightwave 5.6 Illustrator Import Bug

Post by ColKa » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi ByteHawk,

Well, I did it the way I normally do & it works okay..Soo...

I draw a shape (a word in my case) using the pen tool / brush tool. I
select all background then inverse select to highlight my text.
  I 'stroke' this to set it up for a path, I then use 'makepath' under
the paths options, use the export to illustrator, pull into LW using
'standard' and auto-axis drill.  Comes in clean as a whistle.
Also tried just creating nodes under path options - no probs either.
I even resorted to an unclosed loop for my path - whilst the result was
god-awful, it did try to produce the effect I needed.
I've tried every permutation of the import plugin - not failing anywhere
- could you post your illustrator file in the binaries newsgroup
perhaps? I could try it here and let you know.

Sorry I've not been able to help so far.

-Colkai

--
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colkai

Lightwave 5.6 Illustrator Import Bug

Post by GuY » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

there are a number of diferent illustrator version file formats you can
save as in within illustrator (illustrator version 3.0 for eg).  try a few
of them and one of them should work.  i had this prob with LW5.5.  so maybe
it's a diferent bug altogether.
good luck.

GuYtheguy

Lightwave 5.6 Illustrator Import Bug

Post by RYSBHA » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

As an Update to this issue, the problem seems to be with the file I was
using which was generated by Corel Draw.  The Same file imported into
Illustrator and then saved works ????

It works exported from CorelDraw as a DXF

Might be one for Corel to look at