Lightwave 5.6 point limitation problem

Post by Nick Collin » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Fellow ligthwavers,
    After spending hours and hours of work modeling a Ferrari 360 Modena,
putting as much detail as I could into it, I discovered, to my dismay that
Lightwave 5.6 has a hidden "feature". While it will let you continue
modeling an dworking away, once you reach 65000, or a bit more, you can no
longer save your work. Imagine my dismay to find out that after all that
effort, my work would be lost! What's up with that, huh? I mean, hey Newtek,
shouldn't there have been soem kind a warning built in, "Warning! Point
count limit reached. If you continue, exessive work loss will occur.
Continue?" Sorry for ranting, but this sucks! Does anybody know of a fix for
this, or some way around it, other than having a dozen pieces to your
models? Any, and I do mean ANY, help would be appreciated.

Nick Collins

Post by FRANK?? PANUCC » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

 ->>Does anybody know of a fix for this, or some way around it, other than having a dozen pieces to your
models?<<

Just parent the pieces together in layout.  I've done that with character models that exceed the point limit
by splitting them into heads and bodies, animating a low-res proxy, cloning it and replacing each clone with a
character part.

I don't remember it the 65000-limit is mentioned in the manual, but it's pretty well-known.  I saw it
mentioned in the newsgroups before I ran into the problem.

L6 doesn't have this limit, but practically, geometry-intense models slow things down a lot on my system in
layout 6.

--
Frank?? Panucci
See my Lightwave animation:

Lightwave 5.6 point limitation problem

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Not exactly a hidden feature. The point limit has existed and been
documented in the LW manuals for a long time (certainly from version 4.0
onwards). In the 5.5/5.6 manuals look in Appendix 12 'Lightwave Limits'
where it lists the Points per object limit as 65,535.

In LW5.6, the only way round this limit is to make your model in several
parts and parent them in Layout, if you know you are going to exceed the
point limit. The ultimate solution is to upgrade to LW6.0 which does not
have this limit. This was one the reasons they decided to do a complete
rewrite.

Regards

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited