OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Zafar Iqba » Tue, 15 May 2001 19:19:42

...for multimedia presentations??

So far i've only heard about Sorensen (that its the best), but after
doing some tests i've noticed that MJPEG A (and B) is even better.

With Sorensen, the animation looks jittered and the colors are fuzzy
(at best quality)

But with Mjpeg A/B i get a much sharper image, no color bleeding
and the size is almost the same.

But - is Mjpeg more heavy to run? (Im on Dual 1Ghz, so i cant really
check  :)

As you might know, i have to take the rate, compatability etc in
consideration.
What do u guys used to work with?

--

Zafar Iqbal, www.digital-ray.dk

OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 15 May 2001 21:25:32

Couldn't you make 2 or 3 versions like the movie trailers do?

One for us HW super gods

One for the guys on a budget

And one for the folks that hate the "U" word?

(And/Or line speed related)

Quote:> As you might know, i have to take the rate, compatability etc in
> consideration.

OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Chong Househol » Tue, 15 May 2001 22:34:15

Quote:> Couldn't you make 2 or 3 versions like the movie trailers do?

> One for us HW super gods

> One for the guys on a budget

> And one for the folks that hate the "U" word?

I doubt they do it THAT way.

Seriously, Sorenson is about as much of an asymmetric codec as MPEG is. Both
tend to demand more on the encoding side than on the decoding side. This
explains why any fool can get play an MPEG nowadays. Making a proper MPEG...
now THAT takes a lot more.

But Sorenson tends to *faster on lower-end computers too. On a 500 Mhz
Intel, don't look foward to smoothness at anything larger than 320x240. This
problem crops up because of the audio codec that's added to the workload
Sorenson imposes. They actually used to use Sorenson in pre-QT4 days for
video for the hearing-impaired; clarity of image at the expense of the sound
(come to think of it, was there even any sound!?) . The sacrifice doesn't
seem significant if all you can understand are hand signals and lip
movements, but aiming for the top on both sides of the AV has wound out
hurting the original Sorenson codec a bit. The later revision seems to have
lessened the problem somewhat, but it will always be there.

Last time I checked though, Cinepak was a pretty good choice if your
audiences had some Alphas.

Just my cent's worth.

Thomas

OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Zafar Iqba » Wed, 16 May 2001 01:43:32

Quote:> Couldn't you make 2 or 3 versions like the movie trailers do?

Trailers?

Quote:> One for us HW super gods

HW??

Quote:> One for the guys on a budget

Budget??

Quote:> And one for the folks that hate the "U" word?

U???? .. wwuuaaaarrrrt!??! :)

Quote:> (And/Or line speed related)

Line?!?!

Uhm.... u ... you(!)... might have thougt that im working on some animations
for the internet- - but im not.

Im working on cd-rom/multimedia presentation.

I want super quality - but at a affordable byterate (or do i have to worry
about that nowadays, since most cd-rom drives are pretty fast?

I have made some animations with Mjpeg A codec at 60% compression,
wich gives me approx 1MB rate (i cant enter a specifik byterate value :(

The quality is just below what i would call "fine" (you can see jpeg
kindof compression) - but... its the best results i have got so far.

--

Zafar Iqbal, www.digital-ray.dk

OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Zafar Iqba » Wed, 16 May 2001 01:47:54

Quote:> Last time I checked though, Cinepak was a pretty good choice if your
> audiences had some Alphas.

I used to compress all my animation with cinepack (avi) for until a year
ago.
I takes hell of a lot time, but the playback seemed "lighter" than Indeo and
other codex.

I did a test with Cinepack (QT) .. the quality was far from nice. Where
chunky, and lowcolorish (can i say that? :)

--

Post by Tesselato » Wed, 16 May 2001 03:08:19

Quote:> > Couldn't you make 2 or 3 versions like the movie trailers do?
> Trailers?

Previews of motion picture presentations.  Aren't they called trailers?
The sites I see mostly have 3 version streams available and/or 3 file sizes
available for DL (errr... download).  When I am invited to speak I always
create 2 or 3 data sets unless I know exactly what equipment they have
for me to use.

Quote:> > One for us HW super gods
> HW??

HardWare. (as opposed to SoftWare)

Quote:> > One for the guys on a budget
> Budget??

People on older or very inexpensive equipment.

Quote:> > And one for the folks that hate the "U" word?
> U???? .. wwuuaaaarrrrt!??! :)

OK, I guess I can't expect mind reading.

(U)pgrade.  People who never update/upgrade thier HW or SW (errr. Hardware
or Software)  Usually on a cpu less than 300mthz (in intel terms) running
something like 95 or NT 3.5 MacOS 7.5.5 etc.

Quote:> > (And/Or line speed related)
> Line?!?!

Oops! well you didn't specify CD (errr, compact disk) multimedia presentation.
Sorry, I was thinking harddrive/laptop/lugable, maybe involving intranet (lan).

Quote:> Uhm.... u ... you(!)... might have thougt that im working on some animations
> for the internet- - but im not.

Well no actually I thought seminar/client presentation where you bring
your data or presentation to and existing facility.  Some facilities
I have lectured at...  Well I'm sure you can guess.

Were you guys just haveing a laugh or was my comment really that off-base
and confussing?

The "what codec" part of your inquery I'm not really qualified to comment on.
Whatever looks the best (optionally resized Double/Full Screen) would be my
guess.

Sorry if I led you astray there...

OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Zafar Iqba » Wed, 16 May 2001 04:01:20

Quote:> > Trailers?

> Previews of motion picture presentations.  Aren't they called trailers?
> The sites I see mostly have 3 version streams available and/or 3 file
sizes
> available for DL (errr... download).  When I am invited to speak I always

Oh... aah..ehm.. no, cant do that.

Quote:> > > One for us HW super gods
> > HW??

> HardWare. (as opposed to SoftWare)

aha...!

Quote:> > > One for the guys on a budget
> > Budget??

> People on older or very inexpensive equipment.

Oh my....! I really dont hope so! :)

Quote:> > > And one for the folks that hate the "U" word?
> > U???? .. wwuuaaaarrrrt!??! :)

> OK, I guess I can't expect mind reading.

> (U)pgrade.  People who never update/upgrade thier HW or SW (errr. Hardware
> or Software)  Usually on a cpu less than 300mthz (in intel terms) running
> something like 95 or NT 3.5 MacOS 7.5.5 etc.

LOL - Guess its been too while since i've been active on international
newsgroups!

A new idea popped up in my head.

A lowend hardware emulator!!!!

Explanation:

I have Dual 1GHz CPU's - 1,3GB mem - pretty fast harddrives etc etc.
Its hard to test if my presentation is going to work properly on a slower
computer and with less memory.

It would be nice to have a program that could emulate something like:
PII 300Mhz
64MB mem
Harddrives running at CD-ROM speeds (ie. 600kb/sec).

Ofcause all the parameters (Cpu speed, amout of memory, harddrive/cd-rom
speed) should be adjustable.

It would be perfect to test games/multimedia presentations with (when
it comes to hardware).

Quote:> > > (And/Or line speed related)
> > Line?!?!

> Oops! well you didn't specify CD (errr, compact disk) multimedia
presentation.
> Sorry, I was thinking harddrive/laptop/lugable, maybe involving intranet

(lan).

Nope.. im going straight for CD presentation - but im hoping that i can have
my client to use haddrive/laptop/lugable(?) for the presentation.

Quote:> > Uhm.... u ... you(!)... might have thougt that im working on some
animations
> > for the internet- - but im not.

> Well no actually I thought seminar/client presentation where you bring
> your data or presentation to and existing facility.  Some facilities
> I have lectured at...  Well I'm sure you can guess.

Oh... well.. yes, i am (i mean.. my client is) - but we want a stabile
solution.
And i guess its best to put the presentation on a CD so they can take
it anywhere and (almost) play on any PC.

Quote:

> Were you guys just haveing a laugh or was my comment really that off-base
> and confussing?

Well .. to be honest with u - yes, i was having a laugh. .. but... i was
also
confused... too little sleep i guess... :)

Sometimes it kinda cool .. ehm.. i get all kinds of wierd idea (like the one
above).

Quote:> The "what codec" part of your inquery I'm not really qualified to comment
on.
> Whatever looks the best (optionally resized Double/Full Screen) would be
my
> guess.

Ok, thanks.

Quote:> Sorry if I led you astray there...

Aaah.. thanks... my current as(h)tray is alreay filled up. . nice
timing! :))

....damn... i need some sleep (i cant get no sleep)! :)

Post by Will » Wed, 16 May 2001 11:51:29

>It would be nice to have a program that could emulate something like:
>PII 300Mhz
>64MB mem
>Harddrives running at CD-ROM speeds (ie. 600kb/sec).

>Ofcause all the parameters (Cpu speed, amout of memory, harddrive/cd-rom
>speed) should be adjustable.

>It would be perfect to test games/multimedia presentations with (when
>it comes to hardware).

The Bink player (www.radgametools.com) actually has an option where you can
limit the data rate playback speed, so you can see how the animation would play
on a 2x CD rom, etc, while playing it on your hard drive.

As for having a slow PC...  Well, you could just get a mac emulator from the
net, install virtual PC, and have fun from there...  <g>   That, or start a
render in LW, then play the video.
---------------------------
Yesterday, I didn't even know what tem*compression was.
Tomarrow, I will have been using it for a week.

OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Zafar Iqba » Wed, 16 May 2001 16:11:33

Thanks for the link!

--

Zafar Iqbal, www.digital-ray.dk

Quote:> The Bink player (www.radgametools.com) actually has an option where you
can
> limit the data rate playback speed, so you can see how the animation would
play
> on a 2x CD rom, etc, while playing it on your hard drive.

> As for having a slow PC...  Well, you could just get a mac emulator from
the
> net, install virtual PC, and have fun from there...  <g>   That, or start
> render in LW, then play the video.

OT - What QT codec is best....

Post by Buddy Hanno » Tue, 22 May 2001 22:09:09

I always use Sorenson in conjunction with Media Cleaner Pro.
But even with Sorenson you can't 'just set it and forget it'
The settings are everything. Try setting keyframes to every 150 frames.
Maybe go and read some of the documentation for it.
I can take a movie that's over a gig and compress it down to a couple of
megs
and have it look great.
Keep at it, Sorenson is great!

> ...for multimedia presentations??

> So far i've only heard about Sorensen (that its the best), but after
> doing some tests i've noticed that MJPEG A (and B) is even better.

> With Sorensen, the animation looks jittered and the colors are fuzzy
> (at best quality)

> But with Mjpeg A/B i get a much sharper image, no color bleeding
> and the size is almost the same.

> But - is Mjpeg more heavy to run? (Im on Dual 1Ghz, so i cant really
> check  :)

> As you might know, i have to take the rate, compatability etc in
> consideration.
> What do u guys used to work with?

> --

> Zafar Iqbal, www.digital-ray.dk

1. help with QT codec

We've had some interesting problems with the Microsoft RLE codec working with
one particular client, and would be interested to talk to folks who know more
about this codec and computer video in general. Please drop us a line at

our newsposter has problems with large messages.) THanks.

2. Nobody knows ???

3. Help: QT Animation Codec on a PC

4. Gateway Problems

5. OT: strip audio from AVI/QT

6. AnimationWorks

7. OT: QT compression?

8. Women's Magazine - SPAM!!!!!

9. ot - am I posting?

10. OT: how am I doing so far?

11. OT: Test to see if I am seen

12. Which is the best sound codec for Sorenson?

13. Best avi Codec?