Help! I've got holes in my rendered object?!?!?!

Help! I've got holes in my rendered object?!?!?!

Post by Jeff Moor » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 00:07:03

I modeled a ship and the hull surfaces look complete until I render and
suddenly I have a bunch of holes or miscolored polygons on the hull surface.
I am using LW 6.5 and I built the hull using subpatch and then  in my
mis-directedrnestness to reduce my render time,I think I removed a bunch of
points from my hull object.  Now some of the polygons in the hull are
twisted and/or torqued out of shape and there seems to be a conspicous lack
of points.  I have tried to align polygons but there seems to be no end to
the mis-match of flips that occur.  Can anyone tell me what I'm missing or
what I can do to redeem myself from my mistakes?  I need to have a complete
outer hull surface with no holes.

J. Moore

Help! I've got holes in my rendered object?!?!?!

Post by Jon Carro » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 01:01:16

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:07:03 -0500, "Jeff Moore"

>I modeled a ship and the hull surfaces look complete until I render and
>suddenly I have a bunch of holes or miscolored polygons on the hull surface.
>I am using LW 6.5 and I built the hull using subpatch and then  in my
>mis-directedrnestness to reduce my render time,I think I removed a bunch of
>points from my hull object.  Now some of the polygons in the hull are
>twisted and/or torqued out of shape and there seems to be a conspicous lack
>of points.  I have tried to align polygons but there seems to be no end to
>the mis-match of flips that occur.  Can anyone tell me what I'm missing or
>what I can do to redeem myself from my mistakes?  I need to have a complete
>outer hull surface with no holes.

non-planar polys?

--
-Jon Carroll

"But HoHos are a vital part of my cognitive process!!"- Xander

Help! I've got holes in my rendered object?!?!?!

Post by Scott L » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:58:56

nonplanar polys are polygons with more than 3 points that do not create a
flat surface, ie if it were glass it would break.

You can find them in your model ( if you have them) by selecting polygons
(ctrl+H), then opening the Statistics window (W), then clicking on the
little + symbol next to the word Non-planar.  this will select all
non-planar plolys.

The next step is to triple (Shift + T)  them.

However another problem that I personally ran into while building a ship
hull is that  I started by building the outside of the hull then made the
mistake of copying it to another layer, flipping it and pasting it back into
the first layer to make the inside hull polys. The better thing to do is to
turn on doublesided polys on the outer hull's polys.

If you can't figure it out, the best thing to do sometimes is to just delete
the offending section and try it again.
You may find this takes less time than hunting down the problems.

Hope this helps.

Scott L.

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:07:03 -0500, "Jeff Moore"

> >I modeled a ship and the hull surfaces look complete until I render and
> >suddenly I have a bunch of holes or miscolored polygons on the hull
surface.
> >I am using LW 6.5 and I built the hull using subpatch and then  in my
> >mis-directedrnestness to reduce my render time,I think I removed a bunch
of
> >points from my hull object.  Now some of the polygons in the hull are
> >twisted and/or torqued out of shape and there seems to be a conspicous
lack
> >of points.  I have tried to align polygons but there seems to be no end
> >the mis-match of flips that occur.  Can anyone tell me what I'm missing
or
> >what I can do to redeem myself from my mistakes?  I need to have a
complete
> >outer hull surface with no holes.

> non-planar polys?

> --
> -Jon Carroll

> "But HoHos are a vital part of my cognitive process!!"- Xander

1. I think I've asked this before: rotation on an objects own axis

Ifyou hold the CTRL key down while in layout, you can move an object on it's
own axis. Nice stuff. However, is there are key to do the same with
rotation?

A perfect example is I have CD object that's been pitched a bit. Now it
would be so easy to be able to hold a key down and be able to spin it around
it's >own< Y axis...  instead of trying to parent it to a null and well
whatever...

Is there a way to do this? I really can't remember anymore.

Eric Knight Holbrook

Gallery at:  http://www.bestweb.net/~wirewolf

2. Suite 8 & OLE automation

3. Help, I've got a new box and now 3DS R4 won't run

4. How do I get posting access to Corelnews ?

5. Help getting a render to render frames 1-100, not just the current frame

6. MIRRORS IN trueSpace, how ???

7. HELP: How to put holes in objects...

8. border and size

9. Drawing a hole in an object Help!

10. Getting numbers describing an object's orientation after a series of matrix translations/rotations

11. Help with TIFF (yes i've read the FAQ)

12. Help please, I've lost my Layer Pallet

13. Help! I've lost my metronome