Save Images & Save Alpha problems

Post by Walter (J » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Save Images & Save Alpha problems
>Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 00:26:42 -0400
>Has anyone else had this problem?
>In LW4.0, both the SGI and PC versions: I set up a scene, enabling Save
>Images and Save Alphas, selecting a file format and a file path/name
>(all valid). Then I save the scene. Then, if I try to reload the same
>scene back into LW, the Save Image and Save Alpha buttons are disabled?
>If I reenable them, they still contain the correct path/filename, but
>reloading the scene again will show the same problem again.
>Any ideas?
>-----------------------------------
>Theory and Practice are only theoretically related!

>Grace & Wild Digital Studios

This is the normal and correct sequence of events.

Studio 522 Productions           |http://www.primenet.com/~wturber
http://www.studio522.com         |ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wturber

Post by Sam J. Marrocc » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone else had this problem?

In LW4.0, both the SGI and PC versions: I set up a scene, enabling Save
Images and Save Alphas, selecting a file format and a file path/name
(all valid). Then I save the scene. Then, if I try to reload the same
scene back into LW, the Save Image and Save Alpha buttons are disabled?
If I reenable them, they still contain the correct path/filename, but
reloading the scene again will show the same problem again.

Any ideas?
Theory and Practice are only theoretically related!

Grace & Wild Digital Studios

Save Images & Save Alpha problems

Post by Sam J. Marrocc » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >Subject: Save Images & Save Alpha problems
> >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 00:26:42 -0400

> >Has anyone else had this problem?

> >In LW4.0, both the SGI and PC versions: I set up a scene, enabling Save
> >Images and Save Alphas, selecting a file format and a file path/name
> >(all valid). Then I save the scene. Then, if I try to reload the same
> >scene back into LW, the Save Image and Save Alpha buttons are disabled?
> >If I reenable them, they still contain the correct path/filename, but
> >reloading the scene again will show the same problem again.

> >Any ideas?
> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This is the normal and correct sequence of events.

> Studio 522 Productions           |http://www.primenet.com/~wturber
> http://www.studio522.com         |ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wturber

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Theory and Practice are only theoretically related!

Grace & Wild Digital Studios

Let me double check this: You are saying that you must re-enable the save alpha and save image buttons every time
you reload a scene? If saving has been disabled (as the buttons state by being 'off', wouldn't screamernet fail to
save the images/alphas? It seems to me that the scene should reload as it was when you saved it, in this case, with
both buttons 'on'. Or am I missing something very obvious here?

Post by Walter (J » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Save Images & Save Alpha problems
>Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 10:23:00 -0400

>> >Subject: Save Images & Save Alpha problems
>> >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 00:26:42 -0400

>> >Has anyone else had this problem?

>> >In LW4.0, both the SGI and PC versions: I set up a scene, enabling Save
>> >Images and Save Alphas, selecting a file format and a file path/name
>> >(all valid). Then I save the scene. Then, if I try to reload the same
>> >scene back into LW, the Save Image and Save Alpha buttons are disabled?
>> >If I reenable them, they still contain the correct path/filename, but
>> >reloading the scene again will show the same problem again.

>> >Any ideas?
>> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> This is the normal and correct sequence of events.

>> Studio 522 Productions           |http://www.primenet.com/~wturber
>> http://www.studio522.com         |ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wturber
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Theory and Practice are only theoretically related!

>Grace & Wild Digital Studios
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Let me double check this: You are saying that you must re-enable the save alpha and save image buttons every time
>you reload a scene? If saving has been disabled (as the buttons state by being 'off', wouldn't screamernet fail to
>save the images/alphas? It seems to me that the scene should reload as it was when you saved it, in this case, with
>both buttons 'on'. Or am I missing something very obvious here?

It is not that you are missing anything, it is just that you are assuming some
things that do not necessarily follow.

What Screamernet does should not necessarilly be related to what Layout
does.  Screamernet has only one primary function which is to render images to
a disk.  Layout has many functions only one of which is to render to disk.
Your scene file will contain the last settings used to save RGBs.  Screamernet
will take this information and use it to put the images it renders to disk.
Layout won't.  If you select Save RGBs, you will find that the information is
there.  The file requestor will have the correct filename prefix and it will
default to the correct directory.  The probable reason that Layout will not
default to the Save features being ON is to protect the user from accidental
overwites.  Note that if you render with automatic frame advances and DO NOT
have save RGBs on that Layout will warn you.  Note also that Layout warns you
before overwriting a Scene file of the same name and object files of the same
name (I think?) except when you choose Save All Objects.

We could go 'round and 'round about what SHOULD happen.  However, this is what
DOES happen and it is the normal operation of Layout and is nothing to worry
about.  You can complain, but don't worry.

Post by John Gro » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Let me double check this: You are saying that you must re-enable the
save alpha and save image buttons every time : you reload a scene? If
saving has been disabled (as the buttons state by being 'off', wouldn't
screamernet fail to : save the images/alphas? It seems to me that the
scene should reload as it was when you saved it, in this case, with : both
buttons 'on'. Or am I missing something very obvious here?

Yes. As a saftey precaution, LightWave automatically disables the Save
RGB and Alpha buttons (And Framestores and Anims) anytime a scene is
reloaded. This prevents you from accidentally saving over something that
you have already saved (a problem if you change the resolution for instance).

The save paths and names are saved in the scene file however, so all you
have to do is click on Save RGB (or whatever) and say OK. Because the
paths are saved in the scene file, ScreamerNet will render and save by
reading the scene file. One unfortunate drawback is that if you ever save
an alpha image and save the scene, then render with ScreamerNet later but
do not want to save alphas, you must edit the scene file and remove the
reference to the Alpha save path (a very minor inconvenience)

JG