L6: Particle/object replacement

Post by Clive Jon » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 05:23:55

I'm urked!

Since Steamer is no more (for gods sake Newtek, bring it back!), I've
spent all evening making some nice particle emitters in PS2
 and doing object replacement (the old spheres with fractal noise
trick) to get smoke. Great, I run PS2 as I would normally -- I can see
the spheres in the simulation, save everything out. I attempt to load
the objects into layout and I get "Error". Object Loading Failed."

If I use straight particles -- they load. I can load the complete
effects file with spheres as particle replacements in 5.6 -- the exact
same data that won't load in 6. What the heck is going on? Has anyone
got this working? Has anyone found a suitable technique for simulating
what Steamer used to do, in L6?

Clive
(Who would like to see Steamer back, and is about to kick the
neighbours cat...)

L6: Particle/object replacement

Post by Wade » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:54:24

I would also like to see steamer come back
too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I  guess they thought HyperVoxels would replace it.
But from my experience and from what I've read here alot, they each have
thier Strong points.
As far as ther particle/object replacement question , I have no clue, but
someone out there will reply with it.
WW

Quote:> I'm urked!

> Since Steamer is no more (for gods sake Newtek, bring it back!), I've
> spent all evening making some nice particle emitters in PS2
>  and doing object replacement (the old spheres with fractal noise
> trick) to get smoke. Great, I run PS2 as I would normally -- I can see
> the spheres in the simulation, save everything out. I attempt to load
> the objects into layout and I get "Error". Object Loading Failed."

> If I use straight particles -- they load. I can load the complete
> effects file with spheres as particle replacements in 5.6 -- the exact
> same data that won't load in 6. What the heck is going on? Has anyone
> got this working? Has anyone found a suitable technique for simulating
> what Steamer used to do, in L6?

> Clive
> (Who would like to see Steamer back, and is about to kick the
> neighbours cat...)

L6: Particle/object replacement

Post by Ivan Smit » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 08:10:51

"Volumetrics" now encompasses HyperVoxel and Volumetric lighting. Steamer
was good for it's time, but the time has come to move on.

I like the new system. It just takes a little time to get used to it. There
is less work to do in [6] to get all this stuff happening.

As for PS2: It's been unstable with object replacements since at least B3
and I couldn't for the life of me get this working at the DMW Show in Sydney
in Feb 2000. It was very embarrassing to have PS2 kill LightWave Layout in
front of eager and inspired crowds like that. I have never attempted it
since, seeing my demonstrations were destroyed and my confidence in the
product with it.

I'm hoping 6.1 is the version we should have had right from the start with
the new Japanese particle system in there. Let's hope it does as much as
PS2SE supposedly does, and then some ;)

--

Ivan Smith
ivsmith11(at)hotmail(dot)com

DISCLAIMER:
All comments expressed in this and other messages are
my own. They do not reflect the opinions of my employer.

> I would also like to see steamer come back
> too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> I  guess they thought HyperVoxels would replace it.
> But from my experience and from what I've read here alot, they each have
> thier Strong points.
> As far as ther particle/object replacement question , I have no clue, but
> someone out there will reply with it.
> WW

> > I'm urked!

> > Since Steamer is no more (for gods sake Newtek, bring it back!), I've
> > spent all evening making some nice particle emitters in PS2
> >  and doing object replacement (the old spheres with fractal noise
> > trick) to get smoke. Great, I run PS2 as I would normally -- I can see
> > the spheres in the simulation, save everything out. I attempt to load
> > the objects into layout and I get "Error". Object Loading Failed."

> > If I use straight particles -- they load. I can load the complete
> > effects file with spheres as particle replacements in 5.6 -- the exact
> > same data that won't load in 6. What the heck is going on? Has anyone
> > got this working? Has anyone found a suitable technique for simulating
> > what Steamer used to do, in L6?

> > Clive
> > (Who would like to see Steamer back, and is about to kick the
> > neighbours cat...)

L6: Particle/object replacement

Post by Wade » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 02:26:51

Thats True!
Volumetric Lighting is much easier to set up now with viper etc..
WW

> "Volumetrics" now encompasses HyperVoxel and Volumetric lighting. Steamer
> was good for it's time, but the time has come to move on.

> I like the new system. It just takes a little time to get used to it.
There
> is less work to do in [6] to get all this stuff happening.

> As for PS2: It's been unstable with object replacements since at least B3
> and I couldn't for the life of me get this working at the DMW Show in
Sydney
> in Feb 2000. It was very embarrassing to have PS2 kill LightWave Layout in
> front of eager and inspired crowds like that. I have never attempted it
> since, seeing my demonstrations were destroyed and my confidence in the
> product with it.

> I'm hoping 6.1 is the version we should have had right from the start with
> the new Japanese particle system in there. Let's hope it does as much as
> PS2SE supposedly does, and then some ;)

> --
>
> Ivan Smith
> ivsmith11(at)hotmail(dot)com
> http://www.sigma.com.au/

> DISCLAIMER:
> All comments expressed in this and other messages are
> my own. They do not reflect the opinions of my employer.
>

> > I would also like to see steamer come back
> > too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > I  guess they thought HyperVoxels would replace it.
> > But from my experience and from what I've read here alot, they each have
> > thier Strong points.
> > As far as ther particle/object replacement question , I have no clue,
but
> > someone out there will reply with it.
> > WW

> > > I'm urked!

> > > Since Steamer is no more (for gods sake Newtek, bring it back!), I've
> > > spent all evening making some nice particle emitters in PS2
> > >  and doing object replacement (the old spheres with fractal noise
> > > trick) to get smoke. Great, I run PS2 as I would normally -- I can see
> > > the spheres in the simulation, save everything out. I attempt to load
> > > the objects into layout and I get "Error". Object Loading Failed."

> > > If I use straight particles -- they load. I can load the complete
> > > effects file with spheres as particle replacements in 5.6 -- the exact
> > > same data that won't load in 6. What the heck is going on? Has anyone
> > > got this working? Has anyone found a suitable technique for simulating
> > > what Steamer used to do, in L6?

> > > Clive
> > > (Who would like to see Steamer back, and is about to kick the
> > > neighbours cat...)

L6: Particle/object replacement

Post by NoTai » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 01:34:27

I havn't found any major problems with Partical Storm SE or creating smoke-like
effects with Hypervoxels instead of the old the old steamer method.

The only problem I have come across, is the file saving box refuses to load. If
you switch to the VB filerequester instead you'll only be able to save your PS
SE projects over the ones you already have. (You can type what you like in but
it will only accept a name that exists on disc).

Stu
---

> Thats True!
> Volumetric Lighting is much easier to set up now with viper etc..
> WW

> > "Volumetrics" now encompasses HyperVoxel and Volumetric lighting. Steamer
> > was good for it's time, but the time has come to move on.

> > I like the new system. It just takes a little time to get used to it.
> There
> > is less work to do in [6] to get all this stuff happening.

> > As for PS2: It's been unstable with object replacements since at least B3
> > and I couldn't for the life of me get this working at the DMW Show in
> Sydney
> > in Feb 2000. It was very embarrassing to have PS2 kill LightWave Layout in
> > front of eager and inspired crowds like that. I have never attempted it
> > since, seeing my demonstrations were destroyed and my confidence in the
> > product with it.

> > I'm hoping 6.1 is the version we should have had right from the start with
> > the new Japanese particle system in there. Let's hope it does as much as
> > PS2SE supposedly does, and then some ;)

> > --
> >
> > Ivan Smith
> > ivsmith11(at)hotmail(dot)com
> > http://www.sigma.com.au/

> > DISCLAIMER:
> > All comments expressed in this and other messages are
> > my own. They do not reflect the opinions of my employer.
> >

> > > I would also like to see steamer come back
> > > too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > I  guess they thought HyperVoxels would replace it.
> > > But from my experience and from what I've read here alot, they each have
> > > thier Strong points.
> > > As far as ther particle/object replacement question , I have no clue,
> but
> > > someone out there will reply with it.
> > > WW

1. Particle Storm Object Replacement

I just got Particle Storm proffesional.  I went through the tutorials, and I
was wondering why whenever I use PA post Process on my scene, it never loads
right.  I set the motion file in the parameters, and then add it to all of my
objects that I want.  But when I load the scene, it never knows where the PSM
file is, so I have to do it for every object I set it for.  I put all of my
objects, scene files, etc in the same directory.  This could be very tedius if
I was replacing 500 particles with bubbles, or anything like that.  Is there
any fix for this?
OA

Animator for Sale

2. 2d Transformation Algorithms (Clipping Rotation Scaling)

3. particle replacement

4. Wanted: Xpress for PC

5. PARTICLES REPLACEMENT TUTORIAL IS UP!!!!

6. HELP please, need to fix a densitometer

7. PARTICLES REPLACEMENT TUTORIAL IS UP!!!

8. Particle replacement help please

9. Particle Replacements

10. Old particle storm files in L6?

11. Object Replacement Animation bugs

12. Object replacement/updating: new layers?