Please help with Power Texture

Post by news.earthlink.ne » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am running LW5.0k on a PPro 180 with 80 meg ram.

Everytime I try to use Power Texture I get the error message:
"Failed to open DIB file ......" and then Modler crashes.

Can anyone please provide info on how to use this, I must be doing
something wrong.

Please don't respond "Read the manual" - I did - there is only a single
paragraph description of what PT does.

thanks - Sean

Post by liza.. » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I am running LW5.0k on a PPro 180 with 80 meg ram.

> Everytime I try to use Power Texture I get the error message:
> "Failed to open DIB file ......" and then Modler crashes.

> Can anyone please provide info on how to use this, I must be doing
> something wrong.

I looked into this myself. Apparently this is caused by a Win 95 related
bug that causes a crash when it attempts to load the image file. I
understand that power texture currently only works on machines running
Windows NT.

D. Plank
--
Gecko media Fusion
258 Wallace Suite 207/202

Post by Rowsby T-Wol » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I am running LW5.0k on a PPro 180 with 80 meg ram.

> Everytime I try to use Power Texture I get the error message:
> "Failed to open DIB file ......" and then Modler crashes.

> Can anyone please provide info on how to use this, I must be doing
> something wrong.

What OS are you using?  As far as I know (and I've been wrong before),
it only works
under Windows NT, not 95.

TTFN:
Rowsby
--
           "May you find something pleasant to roll in."
  /\     _                                   -BroKKen

/    ` \\_._/\/ /   The Art Institute of Pittsburgh  |
\(\     \_V_V   \ - Alias 7.0.1 Level II Certified - |  A Wolf
\_ \(  \ ___/    |___________________________________|  Within
  \     /          http://www.city-net.com/~csricard

Post by Wolfgang Losk » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > I am running LW5.0k on a PPro 180 with 80 meg ram.

> > Everytime I try to use Power Texture I get the error message:
> > "Failed to open DIB file ......" and then Modler crashes.

> > Can anyone please provide info on how to use this, I must be doing
> > something wrong.

> I looked into this myself. Apparently this is caused by a Win 95 related
> bug that causes a crash when it attempts to load the image file. I
> understand that power texture currently only works on machines running
> Windows NT.

That's absolutly right. As far as I remember from the back of my head
this is also mentioned somewhere in the manuals or in the readme.
But I'm not sure ...

Regards

W.

Please help with Power Texture

Post by news.earthlink.ne » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Thanks to all that responded. I am now educated that this is one more
reason to go to NT. Now if only LW was multithreaded - then I could add a
second processor and really have a reason to go to NT!

> > I am running LW5.0k on a PPro 180 with 80 meg ram.

> > Everytime I try to use Power Texture I get the error message:
> > "Failed to open DIB file ......" and then Modler crashes.

> > Can anyone please provide info on how to use this, I must be doing
> > something wrong.

> What OS are you using?  As far as I know (and I've been wrong before),
> it only works
> under Windows NT, not 95.

> TTFN:
> Rowsby
> --
>            "May you find something pleasant to roll in."
>   /\     _                                   -BroKKen
>  / \\   /|        ___________________________________    . .
>  |__|\_/_|       |         ~ ROWSBY T-WOLF ~         | .(|_|).
>  / ((._.)\____   |     3D - A N I M A T I O N  &     | (|/ \|)

> /    ` \\_._/\/ /   The Art Institute of Pittsburgh  |
> \(\     \_V_V   \ - Alias 7.0.1 Level II Certified - |  A Wolf
> \_ \(  \ ___/    |___________________________________|  Within
>   \     /          http://www.city-net.com/~csricard

Please help with Power Texture

Post by Nick Stor » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks to all that responded. I am now educated that this is one more
> reason to go to NT. Now if only LW was multithreaded - then I could add a
> second processor and really have a reason to go to NT!

I am by no means an expert in this field... but I was under the impression
that win95 could not take full advantage of the Pentium Pro CPU, due to
it's backward compatibility with 16 bit apps. This is probably not the
reason, as it's a very hazy memory from an article I read months ago, but I
think NT would give you speed increases on your PPRO 180. There's one more
good reason to start using it!

Nick Storr

1. POWER TEXTURE. POWER TEXTURE./ POWER TEXTURE ? POWER TEXTURE??

Well, it's been months. No one seems to know how to properly use
"PowerTexture", one of the best new features in LW(if it worked!)

My problem is that whenever I use PT to position & stretch a Face.bmp onto
a HumanHead object till it looks right, & save the srf. out, it doesn't
load into Layout with the positioning or sizing correct.

I use the Custom UV shader to load the srf. but it doesn't look anything
like what it did in the PowerTexture display!

ISN't that the whole point of Power Texture>!!????

I can find NO DOcumentation on this in either book that comes with LW5!

Thanks for your HELP!

  Unsolicited commercial email will be proofread and sent
back to its source, along with a bill for $100 U.S. The act
of mailing such messages to my account indicates acceptance
of these terms!!!

3. Please Help::: Power Tools Question

4. www.tessellations.org - new site worth a visit for Escher type interlocking pictures & workshops

5. KAIS Power Tools...PLEASE HELP!!!

6. Inside LW 6 CD instruction

7. look for power solids (npower software) for max 5....please help

8. Water and wave simulation

9. HELP about Power-Texture

10. Power Texture help!?!

11. Help with perspective texture mapping on polygons, please help

12. PLEASE HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

13. please help with texture coordinates!