General techniques

Post by Pantelis Engenidi » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

        I'm fairly new with Lightwave and I'm still trying to get a hang of it.So
I would very much appreciate it if anyone would be so kind as to answer any
of my questions
        1.Is there a way to automatically center the pivot point of an object
which is not centered in the world?
        2.Can an object's visibility be keyframed like in 3dsmax?
        3.How do I morph an object to an other without having to calculate the
number of points each object has?

                                Thanx in advance

General techniques

Post by MarcMyl » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

>I'm fairly new with Lightwave and I'm still trying to get a hang of it.So
>I would very much appreciate it if anyone would be so kind as to answer
any
>of my questions
>    1.Is there a way to automatically center the pivot point of an
object
>which is not centered in the world?

LW 5.0 Reference Manual, P. 6

Quote:>    2.Can an object's visibility be keyframed like in 3dsmax?

LW 5.0 Reference Manual, P. 39

Quote:>    3.How do I morph an object to an other without having to calculate
the
>number of points each object has?

LW 5.0 Reference Manual, P. 37

Hope this helps,
-M.

General techniques

Post by Brock Sute » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

> > 1.Is there a way to automatically center the pivot point of an
>     object which is not centered in the world?

> LW 5.0 Reference Manual, P. 6

> > 2.Can an object's visibility be keyframed like in 3dsmax?

> LW 5.0 Reference Manual, P. 39

> > 3.How do I morph an object to an other without having to calculate
>     the number of points each object has?

> LW 5.0 Reference Manual, P. 37

> Hope this helps,
> -M.

Hey Marc,

Did you just make those page numbers up or do you have a bad photocopy
of the manual?

Let's try this again.

Answer to Q1 is no, not that I know of.  Either center it in the modeler
or move the pivot point manually in layout.

This is covered on page 7 and 8 of the 5.0 Ref Man (july '96 rev).

The Answer to Q2 is yes.  Just envelope the object dissolve parameter
under 'objects' panel.

For more info, check out page 41 and 42 in the 5.0 Ref Man.

And last but not least, Question 4.

5.0 alone won't properly morph two objects unless they have the same
number of points, in the same point order.  There are plugins that gives
you more flexibility when doing morphs (ie: puppetmaster, gizmo, etc),
but I haven't had any experence with them, so I couldn't tell you.

Morphs are covered on page 39 to 41 in the 5.0 Ref Man.

I hope this helps, and you're not a pirate, or I will burn in hell for
helping you.

peace out,

brock aka 'the angel of comp.graphics.apps.lightwave'

General techniques

Post by fish » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

>         I'm fairly new with Lightwave and I'm still trying to get a hang of it.So
> I would very much appreciate it if anyone would be so kind as to answer any
> of my questions
>         1.Is there a way to automatically center the pivot point of an object
> which is not centered in the world?

As far as I know not, you must go to the modeller and find out it`s
center, yes I know, one should get a ton of paper with LIghtwave.

Quote:>         2.Can an object's visibility be keyframed like in 3dsmax?

In the "objects" panel with an Object dissolve envelope

Quote:>         3.How do I morph an object to an other without having to calculate the
> number of points each object has?

You can`t morph objects with a different number of points, you can use a
little trick though by morphing an object who`s target you "spherised"
in the modeller, then dissolve it, and let the other object fade in and
morph it from its spherised shape into its normal form, if you do this
fast enough nobody will notice it.

Quote:

--
      RONALD VAN VEMDEN

    *FISH LABORATORIES
3D animation & computergraphics

General techniques

Post by Pantelis Engenidi » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

        About the PP I meant that when I model something in modeler that is not
centered like a flap from a plane's wing and I put it in layout the PP is
at the center of the world whereas the object is at its original position.
What I normally do in order to be able to rotate the flap is move the PP
manually to the desired position of rotation. I find that this procedure is
kind of time consuming and not accurate enough. So is there a way to
automatically do the previous operation?

        Many thanx for your reply.

Quote:> >         1.Is there a way to automatically center the pivot point of an
object
> > which is not centered in the world?

>    Do you mean, put the PP in the center of the object, or put the PP in
> the center of the >universe<?

General techniques

Post by MarcMyl » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

>Hey Marc,

>Did you just make those page numbers up or do you have a bad photocopy
>of the manual?

>Let's try this again.

>Answer to Q1 is no, not that I know of.  Either center it in the modeler
>or move the pivot point manually in layout.

>This is covered on page 7 and 8 of the 5.0 Ref Man (july '96 rev).

Thanks for the clarifications.  I didn't realize there was a difference
between the July '96 rev. and the March '96 rev. of my "photocopy".
Hopefully the original poster can find the references in any case.

-M.

General techniques

Post by J. Eric Char » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

>         About the PP I meant that when I model something in modeler that is not
> centered like a flap from a plane's wing and I put it in layout the PP is
> at the center of the world whereas the object is at its original position.
> What I normally do in order to be able to rotate the flap is move the PP
> manually to the desired position of rotation. I find that this procedure is
> kind of time consuming and not accurate enough. So is there a way to
> automatically do the previous operation?

>         Many thanx for your reply.

> > >         1.Is there a way to automatically center the pivot point of an
> object
> > > which is not centered in the world?

> >       Do you mean, put the PP in the center of the object, or put the PP in
> > the center of the >universe<?

        Yeah, that would be pretty darn handy.

**                Can't take it?  Get a kill file.                   **

1. General question re: BMP's and other formats

Hi,
I work on VERY UNSOPHISTICATED BMP's (free-hand sketches-> Pen
outlines-> scanner-> paint or whatever-> gif's or jpegs)
Is there a general rule in working with BMP's in order to export them
for the web (should they be large or actual size (which is often 10 MB's
) or initially smaller to keep resolution?
Thank you
Tanya

--
To visit my homepage...(home-made, child-proof)
http://mypage.ihost.com/tanya (And for more "art" visit):

2. Bitmap problem

3. SoftImage general questions

4. layered saves ..

5. VideoShow by General Parametrics

6. Earthquake animation

7. Graphics File Formats FAQ (Part 1 of 4): General Graphics Format Questions