superfast centrino notebook, check LW rendertest!!!

superfast centrino notebook, check LW rendertest!!!

Post by Freddy Peter » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:17:29

Hi,

I bought me a new notebook/laptop computer, a Dell Latitude D800,
1.6 Ghz (Centrino!), 1 Gb DDR RAM.

I had in mind to buy the 2.4 Ghz Inspiron, 2.4 Ghz > 1.6 Ghz,
sounds faster, but it isn't!

The centrino 1.6 Ghz processor is a little bit faster then the 2.4 Ghz
Intel.

Some render tests I did in Lightwave, same scene, same everything.

AMD Atlon XP 2100+, 1 Gb SDRAM,  GeForce4 Ti 4200 128Mb
-------------------------------->  9 min 42 sec

AMD Atlon XP 2100+, 512 Mb DDR RAM,  GeForce2 64Mb
------------------------------->  9 min  7 sec

Dell Inspiron 8200 Pentium(M) 1.8 Ghz , 512 Mb DDR RAM, GeForce4  440
GO 64 Mb ------------->  8 min 48 sec

Dell D800 Pentium, Centrino(M) 1.6Ghz, 1 Gb DDR RAM, GeForce4 4200 GO
64 Mb ------------------->  6 min 42 sec

(more minutes is longer rendering)

As you can see, the D800 is a very fast machine and because it runs on
the centrino processor the battery runs longer!!

Also check the POV-ray test at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

It's a very nice tri-metall machine, widescreen (15,4 inch, 1920x1200
pixels).
Also check the specs (quake-arena) for *,
http://www.veryComputer.com/#open_gl...

The clock frequency issue will be a major problem for Intel's
marketing machine. As long as Banias delivers performance,and it does,
people will believe in Intel's new mobile processor,
just as they've done for decades.

So if you have plans to buy a notebook then buy this Dell!
www.dell.com
www.dell.nl

Take care!

Freddy Peters
*fish

www.*fish.nl
Amsterdam, the Netherlands

superfast centrino notebook, check LW rendertest!!!

Post by richcz » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:55:48

Thanks very much for that. I am in the market for a good laptop.

The GHz rating is peculiar and I can see that being a stumbling block being
that chip speed ratings are key selling points to consumers and biz. Its
for that reason I read that the M chips were initialy going to marketed
without the GHz rating...seems that didn't last long.

Rich

Post by Gavin Sco » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:48:46

> As you can see, the D800 is a very fast machine and because it runs on
> the centrino processor the battery runs longer!!

Not if you keep it rendering 100% of the time :-)

I think a lot of the Centrino power management superiority comes from
dynamically adapting speed and which chip sections are powered up based
on the current workload.  I would expect that if you left it rendering
then the battery life might not be that much different than more
traditional notebook systems.

Of course you deserve what you get if you try to use a laptop as a
render node on battery power.

G.

superfast centrino notebook, check LW rendertest!!!

Post by Freddy Peter » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:07:09

True, but when I'm rendering I don't use the battery ;-)

Freddy, *fish

>> As you can see, the D800 is a very fast machine and because it runs on
>> the centrino processor the battery runs longer!!

>Not if you keep it rendering 100% of the time :-)

>I think a lot of the Centrino power management superiority comes from
>dynamically adapting speed and which chip sections are powered up based
>on the current workload.  I would expect that if you left it rendering
>then the battery life might not be that much different than more
>traditional notebook systems.

>Of course you deserve what you get if you try to use a laptop as a
>render node on battery power.

>G.

1. superfast centrino notebook, check rendertest!

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030205/centrino-13.html

It's a very nice tri-metall machine, widescreen (15,4 inch, 1920x1200
pixels).
Also check the specs (quake-arena) for gaming,
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030205/centrino-15.html#open_gl...

The clock frequency issue will be a major problem for Intel's
marketing machine. As long as Banias delivers performance,and it does,
people will believe in Intel's new mobile processor,
just as they've done for decades.

So if you have plans to buy a notebook then buy this Dell!
www.dell.com
www.dell.nl

Take care!

Freddy Peters
Cyberfish

www.cyberfish.nl
Amsterdam, the Netherlands

2. L6 in UK?

3. LW on a P2 Notebook?

4. Problem with Visual Tubes and psp 6.01?

5. MAYA Rendertest on lumis misleading

6. WTB, Lightwave-3D for the SGI (4.0, or preferably 5.0)

7. textured images needed

8. Superfast color picking

9. Superfast FireGL1000 in Max2

10. Superfast color picking