Importing 3DS meshes into Lightwave 5.6

Post by Steve » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

Hi everybody,

I've only been using LightWave 5.6 for about a week, and would like to
know if I can import a mesh created in 3DS directly into modeller for
further manipulation/usage. Can it be done? If so, how?

Thanks in advance
Steve E

Importing 3DS meshes into Lightwave 5.6

Post by Nick » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

I've been importing 3DS meshes into the modeler using the "Translator3D"
plugin
This however results in a mesh that needs to be seperated so that you can
flip some of the polygons round to face the right way.

An extremely tedious process. Plus you have to reapply all the textures
again.

Nick

Post by Davi » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

>Hi everybody,

>I've only been using LightWave 5.6 for about a week, and would like to
>know if I can import a mesh created in 3DS directly into modeller for
>further manipulation/usage. Can it be done? If so, how?

>Thanks in advance
>Steve E

You should be able to go into modeler Load object\  change the objects file
type to all files and find your 3ds object. In may give the error something
like cant load external plugin v***?  but it should still load.
hope that helps

P.S. If you are switching from 3ds to lightwave IMHO its a good move.
although i haven't used 3ds (which I hate) I love Lightwave because the
modeler is excelent and layout I feel is just as powerful as MAX (besides the
great suport for 3DS MAX  plugins) However I feel that is changing also.
I think you will find it easy to use and a supperior program to 3ds.
(just incase you care about my opinion).