Best way to render for Video

Post by Jim Huenergard » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm kind of new at this Lightwave stuff. I'm using 5.6 on NT. My video
editing system is the Matrox Digisuite LE. I can render right out of
Lightwave to an AVI.

What settings will give me my best, smoothest video? I modeled a trade show
booth for a client, but didn't like the results I got. It looks way better
on my computer monitor (I expect that to some degree, but I've seen the demo
tape, and stuff on that looks really good.)

Are they any tips,tricks to getting the best looking rendered footage for
video?

Thanks,

Jim

Best way to render for Video

Post by ModelE » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The first thing to remember is that a TV screen will never look in anyway as
good as your monitor.
I few simple tips: Use the NTSC Legialize plugin under the effects panel/Image
Filters
Darken the whole image and more so on the reds.
 Take a still sample image with loads of different colors on it and display
both at the same time.  Adjust you monitor, not the TV so that they look as
close as possible.  Your windows screen will now be way to bright but at least
you'll be able to adjust your scene to look the right lighting..
Hope this makes so sort of scense,

BTW I'm using a Perseption not the Matrox so I can't help you there.
Lee

Best way to render for Video

Post by Mark Whitn » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On 02-16-99, "Jim Huenergardt" was going on about Best way to render for
Vi

  >Subject: Best way to render for Video
  >Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.lightwave
  >
  >Hi,
  >
  >I'm kind of new at this Lightwave stuff. I'm using 5.6 on NT. My
  >video editing system is the Matrox Digisuite LE. I can render right
  >out of Lightwave to an AVI.
  >
  >What settings will give me my best, smoothest video? I modeled a
  >trade show booth for a client, but didn't like the results I got. It
  >looks way better on my computer monitor (I expect that to some
  >degree, but I've seen the demo tape, and stuff on that looks really
  >good.)
  >Are they any tips,tricks to getting the best looking rendered footage
  >for video?
  >
  >Thanks,

While you do have the option to render out directly to an M-Jpeg AVI,
it's still better to render out to sequential 32-bit tga's instead.
This gives you a bit more flexibility for compositing depending on what
app you're using for that. But more importantly, you won't loose all the
time involved if an errant plug-in or such crashes the rendering.

With the DigiSuite codec, you also need to set the output quality prior
to rendering or converting.  If you've rendered to sequential targas,
you can convert to different compression settings if need be a well.

For smoothest playback out to NTSC, simply use the DigiTools utility.
With the Playlist panel, simply open and arrange the bits & pieces of
animation into the desired order.

Drop me a line if you have some more specific questions.  I have the
full DS rather than the LE, but most of the process is the same.

Mark

M.
(Around 10:04AM on 02/16/99)
(Please remove the ~spamBgon~ items in my address if
 they appear should you like to reply to me privately.)

---
 ~ CMPQwk 1.42.6: I before E except after C.  What a weird society.

Best way to render for Video

Post by Eki Halkk » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm kind of new at this Lightwave stuff. I'm using 5.6 on NT. My video
> editing system is the Matrox Digisuite LE. I can render right out of
> Lightwave to an AVI.

> What settings will give me my best, smoothest video? I modeled a trade show
> booth for a client, but didn't like the results I got. It looks way better
> on my computer monitor (I expect that to some degree, but I've seen the demo
> tape, and stuff on that looks really good.)

> Are they any tips,tricks to getting the best looking rendered footage for
> video?

> Thanks,

> Jim

Hi Jim.

I have the same setup - works like a charm.

For the smoothness factor-

Turn on motion blur.
Turn on render to fields (I don't use it too much though, W/O it you get
"filmlike" look)
Use medium to high antialiasing

Use at least 5 Mb / sec. compression on the codec.

Hope this helped.
--
- Eki

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/

*************************************
******** warp9.to/soapwish **********
*************************************

Best way to render for Video

Post by Chong Househol » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>The first thing to remember is that a TV screen will never look in anyway
as
>good as your monitor.

At a distance, a Sony Wega does, doesn't it?

T Urbvan

1. Q: Better ways to assign color?

Hi, everybody!

I would like to get some help regarding the use of color in IRIS
Explorer.  Specifically, I would like to find out if there is a better
way of assigning colors based on the values of a variable in the data.
I must tell you in advance that I am a begginer in using Explorer, so
please bear with me on this.

Here is what I am trying to do:  I have about 3800 spheres that I need
to draw.  I want to assign different colors to those spheres based on
the value of a certain variable.  I can easily assign a specific color
to the whole 3800 spheres at once with cxGeoColorAdd() after I draw the
spheres with cxGeoSpheresDefine().  However, it seems that there is no
way to assign different colors to each of those spheres while calling
the cxGeoSpeheresDefine and cxGeoColorAdd only once or a few times.

I can think of two approaches.  One approach is to group the spheres
based on the variable that will be used for color assignment and call
the cxGeoSpheresDefine and cxGeoColorAdd combo several times (the number
of calls will be the number of colors that I want to use).  This seems
to be a reasonable approach unless I also want to have the capability to
select and change the color-assignment variable among many variables
interactively, and regrouping data everytime the variable changes seems
to be overly expensive operation not to mention the extra storage
requirement.

Second way I can think of is to define each sphere one by one with
accompanying cxGeoColorAdd call, which is what I am currently doing.
So, I end up calling these two function combo 3800 times, and it takes
quite a bit of time to render them (they show up though).  Also,
Explorer blows up in my face sometimes complaining that I exhausted the
shared memory if I am trying to do something with them, like changing
the radius of the spehres.  By the way, I am running this in SGI Indigo2
IMPACT with 128 Mb ram.

So, I am thinking there's got be a better way of doing this, but I have
no idea as to how to do it.  Have anyone graffled with this kind of
problem and found a way to handle it?  I would really appreciate any tip
or insight on this matter.  Thanks a lot in advance.

--

Department of Geography
The Ohio State University

2. Help! - Please can any assist re mapping OpenGL RC coordernates to GDI (Windows) ?

3. calibration..Screen to Printer How, best ways etc.

4. UV large format printer on acrylic

5. SPEED--best ways to boost a PM6100?

6. AutoCAD 2000

7. Q: The best ways to convert QuickTime to FLI/FLC

8. RadixSort ?

9. SPEED--best ways to boost a PM6100AV?

10. best video card for video analysis/image recognition?

11. Best freeware/shareware rendering programs - New to rendering!

12. Best video boards/systems for full-frame video on a quadra 840av