Anyone? Best dual CPU upgrade route for me? Here's what I got...

Anyone? Best dual CPU upgrade route for me? Here's what I got...

Post by g » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've read a statement about only getting
44% increase in 3DSMax in NT using 2
CPU's but an 80% increase using dual
Pentium Pro's.  (I'll be using Lightwave
more than 3DSMax though)

But I found no comments about dual
Pentium II's?  How do they compare?  Are
there any performance statistics for
this setup?

I'm setting up for an upgrade in about a
month and I'm wrestling with ideas
between getting a dual Pentium 233MMX or
dual Pentium II 233 setup....they seem
close to same price.  I've got about a
700 dollar budget, but keep in mind I
won't be buying for a month.  Obviously,
I would love to get an AGP 440LX system,
but that would require swapping all my
RAM (arg - that's if anyone will even
trade-in used RAM)...I could get the
440FX system.

I intend to begin work on a personal
demo reel, but I also like to play a
good game, and I use Windows 95 quite a
bit.  Obviously, it's impossible to
what's really going to be obsolete in a
year since technology is moving so fast
right now.

Any comments, suggestions, or statistics
would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my current system:
-Pentium 133
-430VX chipset
-96 MB RAM (2 16MB parity SIMMs, 2 32MB
parity SIMMs)
-PCI Diamond Viper (I can still return
this in the next few weeks)
-PCI Adaptec 2940 SCSI2 controller (for
my SCSI Yamaha CDR)
-PCI DC-30 Video capture card
-ISA 16bit combo ethernet card
-ISA SoundBlaster AWE32
-ISA USR 33.6 modem
-OSR2 and Windows NT4 server

Thanks!

Post by Mike/TOY SOLDIE » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I've read a statement about only getting
> 44% increase in 3DSMax in NT using 2
> CPU's but an 80% increase using dual
> Pentium Pro's.  (I'll be using Lightwave
> more than 3DSMax though)

> But I found no comments about dual
> Pentium II's?  How do they compare?  Are
> there any performance statistics for
> this setup?

> I'm setting up for an upgrade in about a
> month and I'm wrestling with ideas
> between getting a dual Pentium 233MMX or
> dual Pentium II 233 setup....they seem
> close to same price.  I've got about a
> 700 dollar budget, but keep in mind I
> won't be buying for a month.  Obviously,
> I would love to get an AGP 440LX system,
> but that would require swapping all my
> RAM (arg - that's if anyone will even
> trade-in used RAM)...I could get the
> 440FX system.

> I intend to begin work on a personal
> demo reel, but I also like to play a
> good game, and I use Windows 95 quite a
> bit.  Obviously, it's impossible to
> what's really going to be obsolete in a
> year since technology is moving so fast
> right now.

> Any comments, suggestions, or statistics
> would be greatly appreciated.

> Here's my current system:
> -Pentium 133
> -430VX chipset
> -96 MB RAM (2 16MB parity SIMMs, 2 32MB
> parity SIMMs)
> -PCI Diamond Viper (I can still return
> this in the next few weeks)
> -PCI Adaptec 2940 SCSI2 controller (for
> my SCSI Yamaha CDR)
> -PCI DC-30 Video capture card
> -ISA 16bit combo ethernet card
> -ISA SoundBlaster AWE32
> -ISA USR 33.6 modem
> -OSR2 and Windows NT4 server

> Thanks!

Talk to Mark DeMazza at MIND Computer Consultants.  Mark build machines
like you want, and is using a dual-PII mobo right now.  Mark's eamil is:

Tell him Mike from RARE sent you... he built one of our office NT
workstations which I use for non-linear video editing of computer
models/animation created on a SGI/Alias.  BTW, stick with Matrox for
anything involving high end graphics modeling.  My personal opinion... I
have three of them.--

Mike/TOY SOLDIER
"Nothing Could Be Finer Than A Boat From Carolina"
(remove *nospam* from my address to email me)

Anyone? Best dual CPU upgrade route for me? Here's what I got...

Post by Anthony Hi » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

<posted and mailed>

Quote:>I've read a statement about only getting
>44% increase in 3DSMax in NT using 2
>CPU's but an 80% increase using dual
>Pentium Pro's.  (I'll be using Lightwave
>more than 3DSMax though)

        The regular Pentiums share their L2 cache, which is why they
don't get much of a performance increase in a dual CPU setup.  With
PPro's the L2 cache is on the backside bus inside the chipset itself,
and therefor is not shared.

Quote:>But I found no comments about dual
>Pentium II's?  How do they compare?  Are
>there any performance statistics for
>this setup?

        The PIIs are much more on par with the PPro when it comes to
dual CPU usage and performance.  The L2 cache in a PII is on the
backside bus within the SEC cartridge.

Quote:>I'm setting up for an upgrade in about a
>month and I'm wrestling with ideas
>between getting a dual Pentium 233MMX or
>dual Pentium II 233 setup....they seem
>close to same price.  I've got about a
>700 dollar budget, but keep in mind I
>won't be buying for a month.  Obviously,
>I would love to get an AGP 440LX system,
>but that would require swapping all my
>RAM (arg - that's if anyone will even
>trade-in used RAM)...I could get the
>440FX system.

        Unquestionably go for the PII setup.  Pentium style processors
really aren't all that great in dual CPU setups.  PPro/PII style
processors are MUCH better equiped to handle thsi sort of situation.

Quote:>I intend to begin work on a personal
>demo reel, but I also like to play a
>good game, and I use Windows 95 quite a
>bit.

        Ont thing to remember is that your second CPU will just be
sitting around twiddling it's thumbs in Win95.

Quote:>  Obviously, it's impossible to
>what's really going to be obsolete in a
>year since technology is moving so fast
>right now.

        It's not really that hard, everything is going to be obsolete
in a year :>   Well, Pentium classic chips have already stopped being
made, and PMMX chips will cease to be made before too long.  Socket 7
is expected to be pretty much dead by the end of the year.  The
current crop of 66MHz PIIs and their motherboards will be pretty
obsolete as far as new stuff is concerned pretty soon, since all
future PIIs will use 100MHz bus speeds.  FPM memory is totally
obsolete, and EDO memory is on it's way out.  Current SDRAM is also
semi-obsolete as well since much of it won't work with the above
mentioned 100MHz bus speeds.  New PC100 SDRAM will replace that,
followed by new super-fast DRAM which will be even more limited by
latency then our current SDRAM (ie all this new SLDRAM, DDR SDRAM,
etc. won't do much at all for performance, and while RambusDRAM might
help, I doubt that it'll do much).

Quote:>Any comments, suggestions, or statistics
>would be greatly appreciated.

>Here's my current system:
>-Pentium 133
>-430VX chipset
>-96 MB RAM (2 16MB parity SIMMs, 2 32MB
>parity SIMMs)

        FWIW there are some 440LX PII boards out there which can take
SIMMs.  They're not too easy to find, but they exist.

Quote:>-PCI Diamond Viper (I can still return
>this in the next few weeks)

        It's really not that bad a card, and the AGP version isn't too
much faster.  Of course, if you end up with an AGP capable
motherboard, you might as well use an AGP video card.

Quote:>-PCI Adaptec 2940 SCSI2 controller (for
>my SCSI Yamaha CDR)

        Seems to me to be a bit of overkill for a simple CDR.

Anthony Hill            | Sig files?  SIG FILES?!  What the

Post by *TPX » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I've read a statement about only getting
> 44% increase in 3DSMax in NT using 2
> CPU's but an 80% increase using dual
> Pentium Pro's.  (I'll be using Lightwave
> more than 3DSMax though)

The PPro uses the Intel GTL+ bus which is designed for high performance
SMP systems.  The Pentiums use a standard bus which does not give a
great performance increase using two processors.

Quote:> But I found no comments about dual
> Pentium II's?  How do they compare?  Are
> there any performance statistics for
> this setup?

The PII was designed from the PPro, and uses the exact same bus.  The
PII's each have there own cache which runs at almost twice the speed of
the pentium's single shared cache (116.5 vs 66).  PII's also have much
better 32bit performance which alone make then faster under NT.

Quote:> I'm setting up for an upgrade in about a
> month and I'm wrestling with ideas
> between getting a dual Pentium 233MMX or
> dual Pentium II 233 setup....they seem
> close to same price.  I've got about a
> 700 dollar budget, but keep in mind I
> won't be buying for a month.  Obviously,
> I would love to get an AGP 440LX system,
> but that would require swapping all my
> RAM (arg - that's if anyone will even
> trade-in used RAM)...I could get the
> 440FX system.

Here is an example to consider:

Tyan Tomcat 1564S - one 233mmx - roughly $350, $550 dual.
Tyan Tiger 1692DL - one PII233 - roughly $560, $860 dual.
with PII you will have to by SDRAM - 96megs  - $200
and new ATX case - about $90 (recommend full tower for cooling purposes)

I would buy the PII with one processor, and 64 megs which is close to
your price range, and add to it later( when its cheaper).  Just make
sure the CPU's are the same steeping.  A single PII should double your
current performance anyway, definitely under NT.

Also Intel is cutting prices on April 15 with the release of 100MHZ
boards and processors. PII = $195 in quantities of 1000 or more.

Quote:> I intend to begin work on a personal
> demo reel, but I also like to play a
> good game, and I use Windows 95 quite a
> bit.  Obviously, it's impossible to
> what's really going to be obsolete in a
> year since technology is moving so fast
> right now.

If your worried about a year, get the PII now to take advantage of the
newer technologies ( AGP, SDRAM, USB, UDMA).  BX boards (100MHZ) are
new, untested, unproven, and expensive and hard to find memory for right
now.  I would wait a few months before I bought one anyway.

Quote:> Any comments, suggestions, or statistics
> would be greatly appreciated.

> Here's my current system:
> -Pentium 133
> -430VX chipset
> -96 MB RAM (2 16MB parity SIMMs, 2 32MB
> parity SIMMs)
> -PCI Diamond Viper (I can still return
> this in the next few weeks)
> -PCI Adaptec 2940 SCSI2 controller (for
> my SCSI Yamaha CDR)
> -PCI DC-30 Video capture card
> -ISA 16bit combo ethernet card
> -ISA SoundBlaster AWE32
> -ISA USR 33.6 modem
> -OSR2 and Windows NT4 server

> Thanks!

I was in the same position and I am glad I went with the PII instead of
the Pentium.  The extra few hundred was well worth it.  Can't wait to
see what happens when I throw the second one in.

--
______________________________
Remove *'s for E-Mail Address.

1. Maya 2.0, upgrade CPU or go dual

i'm running Maya 2.0 on an SGI 320 Visual Workstation; mainly for
modeling. should i upgrade the CPU from 350MHz PII to 500MHz PIII or
make the current setup to dual CPUs 350MHz?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. I simple want save .bmp from TBitmap using API calls.

3. Best way to setup Screamer for dual cpu

4. Maximum curvature on cubic bezier.

5. Using of Dual-CPU's

6. Book recomendation for Computational Geometry???

7. Dual CPU's? on PovRay and NT

8. Dual CPU's

9. dual cpu's?

10. Dual CPU's or two boxes?