Newbie: Logofactory.lws demo file

Post by Alexand » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks,

the newtek\scenes\logos directory contains a demo file called
logofactory.lws. In this szene I can move the robotarm with
NullObject(2). But I don't understand how it works. I can't see any
bone for kinematics. Has anybody a clue?

Alexander

Newbie: Logofactory.lws demo file

Post by Colin Kai Heap » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi Alexander,
Don't confuse kinematics for bones - bones can use kinematics, but the
robot arem is just a collection of objects parented together as bones
would be for a 'solid' object.
 If you build a set of boxes, then parent them as you would a group of
bones - you have the same base idea. The manuals do talk about IK but
admittedly they refer to bones for examples. Try Dan Ablans book(s)
"Power Guide" and "Inside 5.5" if you can. If you want a clear idea - I
could mail you a simple scene - but then - the robot scene is there
anyway. Check out in the "scene" panel how the object is constructed,
each indent represents a parented object.
Hope this helps.
-Colkai

--
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colkai

> Hi folks,

> the newtek\scenes\logos directory contains a demo file called
> logofactory.lws. In this szene I can move the robotarm with
> NullObject(2). But I don't understand how it works. I can't see any
> bone for kinematics. Has anybody a clue?

> Alexander

Newbie: Logofactory.lws demo file

Post by Darren Thompso » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You need to study Kinematics more. You don't have to use bones, you can use
objects parented to each other (the same as you do with bones). In the arm
it is simple parenting and IK constraints put on the carious pieces. This is
fine for connecting objects but useless for a single object. Thats when you
use bones. (Mind you, if you have puppet master then you can do the same
thing with single objects by creating Invisible joints and parenting them
and using IK).

Hope this gets you on track.

-------------------
Darren Thompson
Lightwave Technical Support Division for New Magic Australia
--------------------
Hours          9:00-5:30 Mon-Fri EST

Ph.              +61 3 9723 4650
--------------------

1. LWS file format

Hello

I have rercently started to implement a skinned mesh system in my dx8
game engine. I have managed to decode LWO/LWO2 files and load/display
them.
However now is the time to try and implement some motion caputed data.
Sounds good but for the life of me I cant figure out the LWS format. I
can find simple things like linking weightmaps to bones etc. But I
cant decode the actuall animation data?

Can anyone help me understand the LWS file???

Please help

James

2. (no subject given!)

3. TCB animation data in LWS files

4. SuperSpraying water from a hose

5. NT File Associations (LWO, LWS, MOT, ENV, SRF, etc)

6. Steamer Flag in .LWS file

7. THREAD parameter in LWS file??

8. Screamernet and inconsistancies in LWS files.

9. Description of .LWO .LWS file formats needed.

10. Lightwave Scene File (.lws) question

11. improt the lwo or lws file