Items cannot be parented to themselves Problem

Items cannot be parented to themselves Problem

Post by (Pingu » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:54:11

Well from as far as we know, when you try to parent a object to it
self LW will tell you.  Apprently I am having a problem with a scene
where the scene stops loading just over half way (63%) and tells me
that error "Items cannot be parented to themselves" then LW of course
locks up.  I have checked in the Scene files to try to manually take
it out with no luck any ideas? How come LW can't just load the scene
and some way try to pin point where this is happening!

Thank You

Post by Tesselato » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:30:02

> Well from as far as we know, when you try to parent a object to it
> self LW will tell you.  Apprently I am having a problem with a scene
> where the scene stops loading just over half way (63%) and tells me
> that error "Items cannot be parented to themselves" then LW of course
> locks up.  I have checked in the Scene files to try to manually take
> it out with no luck any ideas? How come LW can't just load the scene
> and some way try to pin point where this is happening!

> Thank You

If you can send me the scene file I can have a look.

Items cannot be parented to themselves Problem

Post by (Pingu » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:41:22

You can read scene files, I've tried everything.  How are your odds to
fix it very good?

>> Well from as far as we know, when you try to parent a object to it
>> self LW will tell you.  Apprently I am having a problem with a scene
>> where the scene stops loading just over half way (63%) and tells me
>> that error "Items cannot be parented to themselves" then LW of course
>> locks up.  I have checked in the Scene files to try to manually take
>> it out with no luck any ideas? How come LW can't just load the scene
>> and some way try to pin point where this is happening!

>> Thank You

>If you can send me the scene file I can have a look.

Items cannot be parented to themselves Problem

Post by phaedru » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:42:09

why dont you just open the scene file in notepad or similar & have a look at
it?
look for parentItem lines ...
I'm guessing this is what Tesselator would do if you sent him the file...
hth
phaedrus

> You can read scene files, I've tried everything.  How are your odds to
> fix it very good?

> >> Well from as far as we know, when you try to parent a object to it
> >> self LW will tell you.  Apprently I am having a problem with a scene
> >> where the scene stops loading just over half way (63%) and tells me
> >> that error "Items cannot be parented to themselves" then LW of course
> >> locks up.  I have checked in the Scene files to try to manually take
> >> it out with no luck any ideas? How come LW can't just load the scene
> >> and some way try to pin point where this is happening!

> >> Thank You

> >If you can send me the scene file I can have a look.

Items cannot be parented to themselves Problem

Post by Tesselato » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:40:12

Quote:> You can read scene files,

Ya, I know most of the conventions and general format.

Quote:> I've tried everything.  How are your odds to
> fix it very good?

Well, of course I have no idea till I give it a go but
I'd say there a reasonably good chance we can get it to
work or know the reason why.

BTW, if you do send it...  Send it to: Jimmmboe at hotmail dot com

--

> >> Well from as far as we know, when you try to parent a object to it
> >> self LW will tell you.  Apprently I am having a problem with a scene
> >> where the scene stops loading just over half way (63%) and tells me
> >> that error "Items cannot be parented to themselves" then LW of course
> >> locks up.  I have checked in the Scene files to try to manually take
> >> it out with no luck any ideas? How come LW can't just load the scene
> >> and some way try to pin point where this is happening!

> >> Thank You

> >If you can send me the scene file I can have a look.

Items cannot be parented to themselves Problem

Post by Tesselato » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:11:55

Quote:> why dont you just open the scene file in notepad or similar & have
> a look at it?  look for parentItem lines ...

He said he did that.

Quote:> I'm guessing this is what Tesselator would do if you sent him
> the file...

No. there's something more to it.  LW on its own given Spaghetti-Os
for parrent/child hierarchies will unparrent the bad and continue
on without a crash.

> > You can read scene files, I've tried everything.  How are your odds to
> > fix it very good?

> > >If you can send me the scene file I can have a look.

Items cannot be parented to themselves Problem

Post by Desos » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:23:29

If I recall correctly, this happened to me once when I was working on a very
complicated scene with loads of stuff in it, with some very complex
parenting going on. That however wasn't the problem. If memory serves (And I
might be wrong) this could be something to do with you having deleted, or
moved a layer on one of your objects. I'm sure it was something to do with
that. Scene wanted to parent items together, but because a layer which was
in the chain had been moved/deleted, it didnt tell me it was missing, it
just gave that message, or something like that. It really was a long time
ago now, but it was something upon those lines, im sure of it. But I'm not
guarenteeing anything here, I am really trying to think A) what caused it,
and B)How I fixed it. I know I did fix it though if that is any comfort to
you. Just took a while to work out what the cause was.

Maybe what you should do first, is watch what is loading at the point of
*, and look into that object and see if anything has changed. If
neccisary, add a box or whatever to all missing layers in the identified
object (If that is what it is stopping on during loading the scene), and see
if that lets it load the suspicious object. Hope that makes sense. Again, I
might be wrong on this, and I might be thinking of another problem I had,
but worth a look anyway

Kris

> > why dont you just open the scene file in notepad or similar & have
> > a look at it?  look for parentItem lines ...

> He said he did that.

> > I'm guessing this is what Tesselator would do if you sent him
> > the file...

> No. there's something more to it.  LW on its own given Spaghetti-Os
> for parrent/child hierarchies will unparrent the bad and continue
> on without a crash.

> > > You can read scene files, I've tried everything.  How are your odds to
> > > fix it very good?

1. Reading movement from parented items.

Hi all,

I'm animating a small engine with all kinds of moving stuff. I got most of
the setup compleet, but I've run into a small problem. I would like to know
if it is possible to 'read' the movement of a parented item.

When an item is parented to another object, the parented item does not move
itself because it inherents the movement of the parent. I tried to use the
follower plugin but that does not work. I also tried several Expressions but
that didn't work either.

Anybody know how to solve this?

I have an animation right here : http://www.xs4all.nl/~arthurs/Motor2.avi
(288Kb). The problem is the movement of the piston. I want the piston
parented to the yellow 'bar' with the small holes in it (don't know how this
is called in english... :-/ and 'copy' the x-axis movement.

Arthur J. Schotgerrits
 _ _  _
|  _ \ | REVOLUTION IMAGING
| |_| || Computergraphics and animations

|_|\___| http://www.xs4all.nl/~arthurs or http://welcome.to/rev-img

2. information on gnuplot

3. Cannot owner ENTIRE menu item.

4. Fast Alternative to QGraphics?

5. Problems in schematic view loading items from scene

6. How do you get round glass objects to 'magnify' objects behind in 3DS3

7. Targeting/parenting problem in 6.5b

8. help

9. Parenting problem in Layout...

10. Parenting problem- any ideas?