memory leak in lw6.5?

Post by Wojciech Jaros » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:35:57

i have 256 mb ram using win2k. when i start up win2k, i have 64 mb used by
just the operating system, etc. if i use lightwave 6.5 for about a day, once
i exit, i still have about 240 mb used! this is when i have nothing else
open! this seems to be a rather large memory leak since i have to reboot
win2k about once a day! is anyone else exhibiting this problem?

wojciech jarosz

memory leak in lw6.5?

Post by Ernie Wrigh » Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:55:42

> i have 256 mb ram using win2k. when i start up win2k, i have 64 mb
> used by just the operating system, etc. if i use lightwave 6.5 for
> about a day, once i exit, i still have about 240 mb used!

That's normal for Windows.  A memory leak in a program happens when the
program forgets to free memory it allocates.  But Windows should free
all of that memory once the program is closed.

It's much more likely that what you're seeing is memory Windows itself
is using, probably as disk cache.  As soon as that memory is needed for
something more important, Windows will let it go.

- Ernie                                   http://members.home.net/erniew

memory leak in lw6.5?

Post by Nick Hatzichristo » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:30:16

> > i have 256 mb ram using win2k. when i start up win2k, i have 64 mb
> > used by just the operating system, etc. if i use lightwave 6.5 for
> > about a day, once i exit, i still have about 240 mb used!

> That's normal for Windows.  A memory leak in a program happens when the
> program forgets to free memory it allocates.  But Windows should free
> all of that memory once the program is closed.

> It's much more likely that what you're seeing is memory Windows itself
> is using, probably as disk cache.  As soon as that memory is needed for
> something more important, Windows will let it go.

Ernie, while I could never claim to have technical knowledge even close to
yours, that's what I would have answered too, based on my experience with
this. Sure, after long and heavy LW sessions in win2k, most of the memory is
still "tied up", but I never have to reboot or anything. As soon as I launch
my email program, maybe my browser, even a couple of utilities (you get the
picture), memory seems to "fall back into place" and everything goes back to
normal.
I 've only had to restart win2k 6-7 times in the 7 or so months I 've been
running it (24/7), and even then it was due to the installation of a new
driver, software, etc...!

nick

--

Nick Hatzichristos
3D Animator

ICQ# : 48636115
http://users.otenet.gr/~nixx

1. Memory leak / device context leak trying to play MPEG-2 files from Media Player

Trying to use Elecard MPEG-2 V1.30 demo version. We have an ActiveX
control that will loop a list of files. When we loop anything OTHER
than MPEG-2 files, we don't have memory leaks or device context leaks
(as reported by Turbopower Sleuth QA Suite). When we try Elecard, we
get reports that we're losing device contexts (references the Elecard
codec at DLLUnregisterServer plus some offset), and we can watch
available memory drop at about one megabyte per hour using Windows
2000 Performance Monitor.

Saw an earlier post here that suggested turning write-caching off.
That didn't help.

Anyone with any suggestions on this, or have similar observations?

Thanks....Warrick

2. NEWTEK: Please give update on status of MP bug fix

3. Memory Leaks

4. Setting Tgifimage transparence

5. Memory leaks in POVRay for Windows?

6. HELP... homogeneous coordinates

7. Memory Leak in POV-Ray 3.01 for Windows

8. Memory leaks in POV 3.0

9. glXAssociateDMPBufferSGIX leaks memory?

10. IFL Memory Leak!?

11. Inventor SoOffscreenRenderer memory leak

12. VkGetResource leaking memory??