New user observation

New user observation

Post by dave hacket » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:24:16



Being someone who is about to take the Lightwave "plunge", I have
noticed that most of the posts in this newsgroup have responses to them.
Not so in Softimage. They are a bit snotty over there. I have asked for
help a few times and gotten no response. It seems folks here are a bit
more willing to help. That's good for everybody. Just my $.02.
Dave
 
 
 

New user observation

Post by wolf » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:53:34


That's cause lightwavers stick together !
Hope U join the crew


Quote:> Being someone who is about to take the Lightwave "plunge", I have
> noticed that most of the posts in this newsgroup have responses to them.
> Not so in Softimage. They are a bit snotty over there. I have asked for
> help a few times and gotten no response. It seems folks here are a bit
> more willing to help. That's good for everybody. Just my $.02.
> Dave


 
 
 

New user observation

Post by David Lightbow » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:11:32


We love you Dave !

In fact, I love everyone who uses Lightwave !!!  Part of the reason why
I bought the Lightwave T-shirt from Safe Harbor too :)

Lightwavers are a tight bunch.  I live in Montreal where SoftIMAGE and
3dsMAX is produced and they're very tight lipped about everything.  Case
in point: file format.  The Lightwave Object File Format is open
source.  Now, you can't grab it and call it your own object format, but
you can look at it and don't have to spend months figuring it out.  Not
so with Soft.

The folks at Newtek, just like us, are a nice bunch of folks.

This about this, though (!): SoftIMAGE is so complex (And I've used it,
and it is :) ) chances are, half of the people don't even know the
answers to the questions !!!  Either than or they're too busy waiting
for their completely ray-based, subdivision-only models to render with
Mental Ray (Which, as described to me by another SoftIMAGE user, will
drive you "Mental")

Keep waving,

David Lightbown


> That's cause lightwavers stick together !
> Hope U join the crew



> > Being someone who is about to take the Lightwave "plunge", I have
> > noticed that most of the posts in this newsgroup have responses to them.
> > Not so in Softimage. They are a bit snotty over there. I have asked for
> > help a few times and gotten no response. It seems folks here are a bit
> > more willing to help. That's good for everybody. Just my $.02.
> > Dave

--
_____________________
David James Lightbown

Interface Development Designer



Opendesk Inc. [www.opendesk.com]
460 St-Catherine, Suite 210
Montreal, Quebec H3B 1A7
T: (514) 876-9629 ext. 211
F: (514) 876-9223
_____________________

Online tools for small business
http://www.opendesk.com
_____________________

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Lee Gabe » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:18:47



> Being someone who is about to take the Lightwave "plunge", I have
> noticed that most of the posts in this newsgroup have responses to them.
> Not so in Softimage. They are a bit snotty over there. I have asked for
> help a few times and gotten no response. It seems folks here are a bit
> more willing to help. That's good for everybody. Just my $.02.
> Dave

Not sharing techniques or knowledge is bad karma.

--
Cheers, Lee F. Gabel, Luna Seven Imagery, 250.472.8516  | "Don't wish
3D Modeling, Animation & Design * www.lunaseven.com     |  for it.
BC Bed & Breakfasts Only! * www.pixsell.bc.ca/bcbbd.htm |  Work for it."
The Adventures of Denim Jones *  www.denimjones.com     |

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by dave hacket » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:23:42


Oh, your going to regret saying that....I'll need advice on realistic humans,
especially females.
Dave


> > Being someone who is about to take the Lightwave "plunge", I have
> > noticed that most of the posts in this newsgroup have responses to them.
> > Not so in Softimage. They are a bit snotty over there. I have asked for
> > help a few times and gotten no response. It seems folks here are a bit
> > more willing to help. That's good for everybody. Just my $.02.
> > Dave

> Not sharing techniques or knowledge is bad karma.

> --
> Cheers, Lee F. Gabel, Luna Seven Imagery, 250.472.8516  | "Don't wish
> 3D Modeling, Animation & Design * www.lunaseven.com     |  for it.
> BC Bed & Breakfasts Only! * www.pixsell.bc.ca/bcbbd.htm |  Work for it."
> The Adventures of Denim Jones *  www.denimjones.com     |

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Mindless Graphic » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:38:42


The reason is that Lightwave has it's roots in the Amiga line computers, and
there is nothing stronger than the Amiga Community. In my opinion at least.

/Erik


Quote:> Being someone who is about to take the Lightwave "plunge", I have
> noticed that most of the posts in this newsgroup have responses to them.
> Not so in Softimage. They are a bit snotty over there. I have asked for
> help a few times and gotten no response. It seems folks here are a bit
> more willing to help. That's good for everybody. Just my $.02.
> Dave

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Wojciech Jaros » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 02:25:42


ive been working on modeling and texturing a female model in lightwave as a
pet project for some time now. for modeling i recommend:
http://www.geocities.com/richardsuchy/
he has a great tutorial on modeling a womans feet and modeling her body. i
wrote a tutorial about modeling hands at my page:
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~wjarosz/

for the face i recommend the inside lightwave 6 book. the modeling tutorial
for the face is great. that book goes over some parts of texturing the face,
but i was not that satisfied with the texturing aspect of the book.

i know that most of you here have a rather negative opinion of poser, since
its canned and all, but it does have a good use. goto renderosity.com and
download a bunch of the free textures there. you can't use them in any
commerical projects, but i think its one of the best ways to learn how to
texture humans; by learning what in the texture makes the model look good.
try to learn something from looking at those textures and then go and make
your own for your woman model. i learned alot just by downloading the
textures that seemed to produce the most realistic characters and comparing
them with the bad ones to see what makes the good ones so much more
realistic.

hope that helps you get started,
wojciech jarosz


> Oh, your going to regret saying that....I'll need advice on realistic
humans,
> especially females.
> Dave



> > > Being someone who is about to take the Lightwave "plunge", I have
> > > noticed that most of the posts in this newsgroup have responses to
them.
> > > Not so in Softimage. They are a bit snotty over there. I have asked
for
> > > help a few times and gotten no response. It seems folks here are a bit
> > > more willing to help. That's good for everybody. Just my $.02.
> > > Dave

> > Not sharing techniques or knowledge is bad karma.

> > --
> > Cheers, Lee F. Gabel, Luna Seven Imagery, 250.472.8516  | "Don't wish
> > 3D Modeling, Animation & Design * www.lunaseven.com     |  for it.
> > BC Bed & Breakfasts Only! * www.pixsell.bc.ca/bcbbd.htm |  Work for it."
> > The Adventures of Denim Jones *  www.denimjones.com     |

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Lee Gabe » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:19:54



> Oh, your going to regret saying that....I'll need advice on realistic humans,
> especially females.

Heh heh.... well I can only share the knowledge I have. I have yet to
model a decent looking female! Drat!! :)

-Lee
www.lunaseven.com

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Exceptio » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:47:19


Well, I'm not getting any answers to my questions... actually...

I think it depends on who you are to get answers.

Tom
-----------------------
Exception Design
http://www.except.nl

Shape your own thoughts

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Eric Char » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:09:40



> That's cause lightwavers stick together !

    No, we're just nicer!
 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Nick Hatzichristo » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:33:49



Quote:

> Well, I'm not getting any answers to my questions... actually...

> I think it depends on who you are to get answers.

> Tom

Did you guys hear something ? Like someone talking... nah, must 've been the
wind...

:oP Joking of course, Tommy ! To be honest, I rarely catch any posts from
you in this NG - perhaps they don't get through to many people ?

PS - how's things ? see you later

nick

--

Nick Hatzichristos
3D Animator
Visual FX & Post Production

ICQ# : 48636115
http://users.otenet.gr/~nixx

 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Exceptio » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:48:25


Well, I was just waiting for you to reply on this... in fact I was hoping on it
:)

I was just a little disappointed about not getting any replies on my question
about the frame buffer problem I posted a few days ago. It's a real problem to
me, and noone seems to know any solution. :(

Things are going great. At the end of februari I will be opening a small
exhibition in a gallery in Rotterdam for the duration of one month. I'm really
going arty, and I really enjoy the art-scene and all the people associated with
it.
In June I will move to australia to study architecture at artacademy level on a
university, and I'm very happy with that!
I bet I'll be able to beat your website's design in a few months as well... I
still think it's outstanding!
BTW, did you see my new site?

I also organised a large car design seminar in november, and I got some clients
from that. Now I'm just trying to get the hang of 6.5, swimming between the
program errors of old plugins and the sorts.
I feel really dumb not knowing what endomorphs and skelegons exactly are yet,
and how the hell I could benefit of the metaballs feature for example. I also
really regret that there is still no actions history yet, and thus still
prevents us from recovering errors that were made in the early stages of the
models process. I bump into the fact that my models always seem to be too low
poly at the end stage because I want a higher output resolution than I expected,
and I have to remodel the entire thing again, and with that list I could have
easily have bumped up the initial poly-division. That and my hopes for the
radiosity were both really dissapointing. I was hoping on something more than
single bounce radiosity. But well, it's a start. It's still no reason to dump
the stupid Lightscape yet (ohmygod what a stupid interface).

I regret not having the time to help out others on the newsgroup, but I am
comming back again a bit (if Darrel doesn't object to this of course :] ). Also
the dealership of newtek of the company I was affiliated with didn't work out,
but it's their own loss I guess.

Greets, Tom
-----------------------
Exception Design
http://www.except.nl

Shape your own thoughts




> > Well, I'm not getting any answers to my questions... actually...

> > I think it depends on who you are to get answers.

> > Tom

> Did you guys hear something ? Like someone talking... nah, must 've been the
> wind...

> :oP Joking of course, Tommy ! To be honest, I rarely catch any posts from
> you in this NG - perhaps they don't get through to many people ?

> PS - how's things ? see you later

> nick

> --

> Nick Hatzichristos
> 3D Animator
> Visual FX & Post Production

> ICQ# : 48636115
> http://users.otenet.gr/~nixx

--
 
 
 

New user observation

Post by Nick Hatzichristo » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:24:40



Quote:

> Well, I was just waiting for you to reply on this... in fact I was hoping

on it

; ))

Quote:> I was just a little disappointed about not getting any replies on my
question
> about the frame buffer problem I posted a few days ago. It's a real
problem to
> me, and noone seems to know any solution. :(

I know how you feel... I couldn't think of anything so I didn't post
anything, and that's what I think happenned with most of the others too...

Quote:> ...
> I'm really
> going arty, and I really enjoy the art-scene and all the people associated
with
> it.

I 'm not surprised, there's always that little "something" in your work,
that's what I 've been telling you isn't it ! Good luck with your
exhibition, that sounds great ! Don't forget you knew me when you 're huge
and famous... : ))

Quote:> In June I will move to australia to study architecture at artacademy level
on a
> university, and I'm very happy with that!

You lucky, lucky... Oh well, good luck buddy, I know you 'll do great.

Quote:> I bet I'll be able to beat your website's design in a few months as
well... I
> still think it's outstanding!

Yeah, I like it too, hehe... I wish I could take all the credit for that
though... But it was a joint effort, me with a graphic designer (a very
talented graphic designer, I might add).

Quote:> BTW, did you see my new site?

Of course I did, and I think it's very good, it's very... you ; ) I still
love and admire your compositions, with "Flight" and "Greed" still being
among my absolute favorites...

Don't worry about 6.5, you 'll get the hang of it, I doubt anyone has
completely grasped it yet anyway... Focus on what you do best, and good luck
with your new goals / ventures ! And keep in touch, eh ?

nick

--

Nick Hatzichristos
3D Animator
Visual FX & Post Production

ICQ# : 48636115
http://users.otenet.gr/~nixx

 
 
 

1. New member observations

Hi all, this is my first visit to this group and I have a few
observations. Most of the groups I have belonged to on any regular
basis, have been moderated groups, so this is all a bit new to me.

A couple of things learnt while in those groups:
    As much as you may wish to get your own back on troublesome
posters, it is much better to just ignore them. That way they soon get
bored and go play somewhere else.
    I haven't read your own posting rules (If you have any) but surely
it has long been considered 'netiquette' to not post superfluous text
when quoting in replies. Some messages today have been nothing more
than replies that quote complete posts with just a line or two added
for response. It doesn't take many seconds to edit out the unwanted
parts. :)

Apart from the initial gripes, I hope to learn much from this group.

All the best,
Chris P

2. HELP NEEDED with "Prix Ars Electronica '95"

3. New user forum for 3Ds MAX users

4. Wanna see my cake?

5. PolyBezier Problem !!!

6. Chunky-Planar-Chunky conversion

7. Mac LW User List (New Users)

8. New user forum for 3Ds MAX users

9. USER GROUP in NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY