Cloning parented groups of objects in Layout

Cloning parented groups of objects in Layout

Post by Ray Laurencell » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I would like to do something in layout that should be simple
but I can only see a complicated way to do it:

I have a palm tree made of two objects - trunk and a leafy top.
The top is a 2D rectangular polygon to which I have mapped
an image of palm leaves and an transparancy mask that cuts out
the image background leaving only the palm leaves. I clone this
object twice and rotate the clones at 60 and 120 degree angles.
It makes a reasonably realistic tree.

I parented these objects to a null object so that I could size,
rotate, and move them around as a unit.

But now I want to dupicate this group of objects a number of
times to place around the scene.

How can I do this without laboriously, tediously cloning
every object in the chain individually. You cannot clone the null
parent and all its descendents as one would expect.

ray

Post by Dave Win » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I would like to do something in layout that should be simple
> but I can only see a complicated way to do it:

> I have a palm tree made of two objects - trunk and a leafy top.
> The top is a 2D rectangular polygon to which I have mapped
> an image of palm leaves and an transparancy mask that cuts out
> the image background leaving only the palm leaves. I clone this
> object twice and rotate the clones at 60 and 120 degree angles.
> It makes a reasonably realistic tree.

> I parented these objects to a null object so that I could size,
> rotate, and move them around as a unit.

> But now I want to dupicate this group of objects a number of
> times to place around the scene.

> How can I do this without laboriously, tediously cloning
> every object in the chain individually. You cannot clone the null
> parent and all its descendents as one would expect.

> ray

How about, create one tree, and save this as a scene, then use "load
from scene" to load this "tree" scene into the scene that you need
several trees in.  Remember to not load the lights from the "tree" scene
when requested, lest you wind up with lots of extra lights in your
scene.
--
"I'll forget about it, if you'll forget about it, but I'll remember,
and don't you forget about it!"

Remove the obvious spam bait, ~NOSPAM~ if you wish to reply via email.

Cloning parented groups of objects in Layout

Post by Dan Yanke » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

How about saving the 3 leaf polys with the Saved Transformed
option. Load them into the same layer of modeler along with the
trunk.

Save this as a new tree object, take it into Layout, and clone
away.

Dan

Post by Sean Hanno » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > I would like to do something in layout that should be simple
> > but I can only see a complicated way to do it:

> > I have a palm tree made of two objects - trunk and a leafy top.
> > The top is a 2D rectangular polygon to which I have mapped
> > an image of palm leaves and an transparancy mask that cuts out
> > the image background leaving only the palm leaves. I clone this
> > object twice and rotate the clones at 60 and 120 degree angles.
> > It makes a reasonably realistic tree.

> > I parented these objects to a null object so that I could size,
> > rotate, and move them around as a unit.

> > But now I want to dupicate this group of objects a number of
> > times to place around the scene.

> > How can I do this without laboriously, tediously cloning
> > every object in the chain individually. You cannot clone the null
> > parent and all its descendents as one would expect.

> > ray
> How about, create one tree, and save this as a scene, then use "load
> from scene" to load this "tree" scene into the scene that you need
> several trees in.  Remember to not load the lights from the "tree" scene
> when requested, lest you wind up with lots of extra lights in your
> scene.

Additionally, you can try to save your cloned grove of trees and do the
same "Load from Scene" trick as suggested above.

Sean H.

Cloning parented groups of objects in Layout

Quote:

--

    Easy.  Create a temorary scene that contains *only* the parented objects
you wish to clone..  Just delete everything else in the scene and save it under

  Head(1)
  Torso(1)
  Left leg(1)
  Head(2)
  Torso(2)
  Left leg(2)

 Just load as many copies from the temorary scene as you need.

                             -=Atomic Skull=-

     See my 3-D anime character page, www.ns.net/~Argus-1

Post by Fish » Mon, 01 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I would like to do something in layout that should be simple
> but I can only see a complicated way to do it:

> I have a palm tree made of two objects - trunk and a leafy top.
> The top is a 2D rectangular polygon to which I have mapped
> an image of palm leaves and an transparancy mask that cuts out
> the image background leaving only the palm leaves. I clone this
> object twice and rotate the clones at 60 and 120 degree angles.
> It makes a reasonably realistic tree.

> I parented these objects to a null object so that I could size,
> rotate, and move them around as a unit.

> But now I want to dupicate this group of objects a number of
> times to place around the scene.

> How can I do this without laboriously, tediously cloning
> every object in the chain individually. You cannot clone the null
> parent and all its descendents as one would expect.

> ray

Save this as a scene, and objects-> load from scene from the same scene
you saved.

best,

--
RONALD VAN VEMDEN

*FISH LABORATORIES
3D animation & computergraphics
http://www.veryComputer.com/~fish1

Cloning parented groups of objects in Layout

Post by Little88 » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have a pretty good looking Palm sitting in a pot that I did awhile back, if
you'd like I could send it to you. Rendering time on the palm is acceptable.
Calise

Post by Mark Dunaki » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> =
> Hello,
> =
> I would like to do something in layout that should be simple
> but I can only see a complicated way to do it:
> =
> I have a palm tree made of two objects - trunk and a leafy top.
> The top is a 2D rectangular polygon to which I have mapped
> an image of palm leaves and an transparancy mask that cuts out
> the image background leaving only the palm leaves. I clone this
> object twice and rotate the clones at 60 and 120 degree angles.
> It makes a reasonably realistic tree.
> =
> I parented these objects to a null object so that I could size,
> rotate, and move them around as a unit.
> =
> But now I want to dupicate this group of objects a number of
> times to place around the scene.
> =
> How can I do this without laboriously, tediously cloning
> every object in the chain individually. You cannot clone the null
> parent and all its descendents as one would expect.
> =
> ray

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
This something that I have requested them to add before. The only way
that you are going to be able to do anything is to go and do a load from
scene. But they still don't have a CLONE FROM SCENE. I wished they
would. You ought to try doing this when you have a hundred or more of
these that you need to have cloned. It'll suck! In less there is some
sort of way to go into the text file for this scene and do some sort of
screwy thing with the file, like copy paste, copy paste and so on, then
you're out of luck for and easy way............md
-- =

=D0=CF=11=E0=A1=B1=1A=E1

1. Cloning objects that are parented?

I have a null object that an object is parented, and parented to that is a
second object and parented to that is a third object going five deep. Now
that I have this object moving as i need to, I need to make clones and have
them move identically but in different locations.  How is it possible to
clone the entire family of objects, maintaining the parent-child structure?
I have one and need 39 more.  I cloned each piece and manually parented
them, but there has to be an easier way. Any help on this matter?
--

Jose Olivas
www.RBDI.net

2. Stupid question?

3. Cloning lights with Parents

4. Unionzizing Animators

5. Parenting problem in Layout...

6. plotting function

7. Massive cloning in Layout?

8. Distance between two lines in 3D Space

9. Cloning Hierarchies in Layout

10. basics: the difference between parenting and grouping, explained

11. basics: the difference between grouping and parenting

12. group and parenting..

13. basics: the difference between grouping and parenting?