Lightwave/Inspire 3D Feature Differences ???

Lightwave/Inspire 3D Feature Differences ???

Post by Nick Well » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Well the header sort of says it all.
I've been using Lightwave 5.6c, in my spare time, at work using an
existing installation and got reasonably comfortable with it. I'm
really only just touching the surface (no pun intended) of the feature
set of Lightwave with my current experience and need and so was
wondering what I would loose if I were to purchase Inspire 3D
personally. The price tag for Lightwave seems so high and I don't know
if I would use all the functionality provided.

I have got Truespave v4.3 but just cannot get on with it - as soon as
I sit down and start trying to do something that I would find easy in
Lightwave I get annoyed, shutdown and do something else entirely.

I am hoping to put start creating stills and the basic animations I
have thus far done in a hope of getting a junior/trainee position in a
job of this type.

I would welcome any comments/suggestions received.

Regards

Nick Wells

Lightwave/Inspire 3D Feature Differences ???

Post by Jin » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I share your hurt buddy,

I only have access to LW through work as well and I'm just aching to have my
own but the price is indeed well above what I can afford.

BUT, as one who has more than scratched the surface of LW (I spent a LOT of
time using it at work [not to mention cuddling with the dongle at night]) I
would NOT recommend Inspire.  There are features in programs such as MAYA
that indeed, most people will never ever get to.  They probably will not
even see the menus for the feature!  But LW is not that kind of program and
that's precisely why I like*ing the dongle so much.

Everything in there is useful and needed (unless you want to do stills only
which is kind of what demographic Inspire is targeting).  Some may even say
that it lacks a lot of features but for me, I prefer simplicity in the tool
and the freedom to taking the limitations and jury riggin solutions.

I liken LW to crayons as opposed to MAYA's air brush.  But there's not a lot
that crayons can't do in skilled hands.

To be absolutely frank, Inspire is a high price CRIPPLED version (let's not
mince words) and I have been tempted sorely to purchase Truespace or Hash
simply because they are cheaper and are not crippled.

If you're the kind of user that I think you are from your post, I would
suggest holding off for LW proper (perhaps an educational version?).

And buy reasonable amounts of LOTTO tickets and keep your fingers crossed.
Got a rich relative perchance?

jin

Lightwave/Inspire 3D Feature Differences ???

Post by Jaco » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hehe...I would tend to disagree with Jin on this one. I do admit, having
used both LW and Inspire, there are a few differences that make me jealous
of LW owners. The major problems,( I have found) , are with Modeler. There
is no numeric requester, (although there are plugins available that can
"simulate" the numeric features quite well. These can be found for free on
the web, and they work just as well as the commercial ones.) Some of the big
things in Layout that are crippled, (yes, I do agree there) are things like
IK, Hypervoxels, Steamer, Skytracer, etc. Some of the procedural textures
are missing too, but the almighty fractal noise is there...thank God. There
is a numeric requester in Layout...don't fret...

One of the big differences is the resolution at which you are able to render
multiple frames. Inspire only allows multiple frames up to a resolution of
640 x 480. Kinda sucks, but if you want to make stills, you can still render
print resolution stuff. And the quality of the stuff is still the same. I
consider Inspire to be "Diet Lightwave," same great taste with half the
calories. If you don't want to do movie quality stuff, and have a few bucks
to spare, I'd go with Inspire. No, before you ask, I'm not a Newtek rep. I'm
a college student who purchased Inspire because I was tired of using the
software at school, fighting for a dongle, (Inspire has no dongle...arrrrr)
and documentation at school...don't get me started.
Anyway, find someone around who has a copy, and give it a shot. I think
you'll find that there's not a LOT of difference in the two.
Hope I helped a bit.
Jaco

Lightwave/Inspire 3D Feature Differences ???

Post by Eric Skramsta » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'd definitely go for Inspire if you're interested in Lightwave down the
line.  If you invest in Inspire and learn to use that to it's full
potential, the upgrade to Lightwave is the difference in price.  So it's
kind of like a downpayment on Lightwave with a 75% preview with no dongle!
Hehe

-- Eric

Quote:> Hehe...I would tend to disagree with Jin on this one. I do admit, having
> used both LW and Inspire, there are a few differences that make me jealous
> of LW owners. The major problems,( I have found) , are with Modeler. There
> is no numeric requester, (although there are plugins available that can
> "simulate" the numeric features quite well. These can be found for free on
> the web, and they work just as well as the commercial ones.) Some of the
big
> things in Layout that are crippled, (yes, I do agree there) are things
like
> IK, Hypervoxels, Steamer, Skytracer, etc. Some of the procedural textures
> are missing too, but the almighty fractal noise is there...thank God.
There
> is a numeric requester in Layout...don't fret...

> One of the big differences is the resolution at which you are able to
render
> multiple frames. Inspire only allows multiple frames up to a resolution of
> 640 x 480. Kinda sucks, but if you want to make stills, you can still
render
> print resolution stuff. And the quality of the stuff is still the same. I
> consider Inspire to be "Diet Lightwave," same great taste with half the
> calories. If you don't want to do movie quality stuff, and have a few
bucks
> to spare, I'd go with Inspire. No, before you ask, I'm not a Newtek rep.
I'm
> a college student who purchased Inspire because I was tired of using the
> software at school, fighting for a dongle, (Inspire has no
dongle...arrrrr)
> and documentation at school...don't get me started.
> Anyway, find someone around who has a copy, and give it a shot. I think
> you'll find that there's not a LOT of difference in the two.
> Hope I helped a bit.
> Jaco

Lightwave/Inspire 3D Feature Differences ???

Post by Mythic Smit » Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Ah, probably an incredibly stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway, maybe
some poor soul will see me as witty for it... What's a dongle? (I don't use
Lightwave yet, but I plan to 'get started pretty quick, soon as I have the
money.

g'bye
  -Mythic

Quote:>software at school, fighting for a dongle, (Inspire has no dongle...arrrrr)
>Jaco

Lightwave/Inspire 3D Feature Differences ???

Post by Darren I Thompso » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

A dongle is a hardware device that plugs in to one of your ports on the
computer (often the parallel port although USB is becoming fashionable for
very good reasons).
The device is checked by the software every few seconds. If the software
doesn't see it in the port it automatically shuts the software down. It is
basically a deterrent for piracy as people can distribute software but the
hardware is more difficult to come by Note- this is answering the persons
question- not an invitation about discussing effectiveness, morals of piracy
etc etc).

Lightwave comes with a parallel port dongle, currently. It has a pass
through port which allows other dongles to be attached to it. Whilst it is
possible to connect a printer or other such device through it I advise
against this as they can damage the dongle. I generally recommend a parallel
switch box or another parallel port in the computer. If you have any more
questions on this feel free to email me directly.

Cheers

Quote:> Ah, probably an incredibly stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway,
maybe
> some poor soul will see me as witty for it... What's a dongle? (I don't
use
> Lightwave yet, but I plan to 'get started pretty quick, soon as I have the
> money.

> g'bye
>   -Mythic

> >software at school, fighting for a dongle, (Inspire has no
dongle...arrrrr)
> >Jaco

1. Lightwave/Inspire What's the difference?

Hi there,
Could anyone tell me what the primary differences between Lightwave and
Inspire are (other than the big price difference ;)

For students (like me) what want to make 3D animations that are high
quality, but don't have to live up to production standards of big time
animation houses, would Inspire be sufficient?

All opinons are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erol
 ---
Erol Oksuz

2. explorer.arc.nasa.gov Help!

3. Upgrade version of Inspire 3d (to LW6 features)?

4. RetouchPRO Challenge Update

5. Inspire 3D and Lightwave 3D...

6. wmf -> gif

7. Differences between Lightwave 3D and 3D Studio Max

8. Uninstall CS2 after after installing CS3?

9. Inspire 3D vs Lightwave

10. Lightwave and Inspire 3D plugin

11. Announce: Mouth for Lip-Synching in Lightwave and Inspire 3D