Particle Storm plugin for lightwave 3d version 5.0

Particle Storm plugin for lightwave 3d version 5.0

Post by Graham McCormi » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi there I am a professional graphics artist for a computer games
company in sunny old England, i have currently been using Lightwave 3d
for about 6 years. For my next project i have to do water, but to be
more specific the wake and spray a boat would leave in the water! I am
currently using a Integraph quad p200 pro, with a top of the range
Firestorm open GL card. It has come to my attention that Dynamic
Realities Particle Storm plugin is rather good! I have read up on this
and can see that it gives you the option to see the particles in REAL
TIME? I need feedback of anyone who has bought this plugin to let me
know if it really is REAL TIME. I have seen a demo of the sparks
plugin but that is far to slow even on a high end system like mine!!!!
If anyone has actually bought this plugin, could they please reply via
here or email and let me know if this is the right plugin for me to
purchase... ie if its fast etc etc. I have seen the particle plugins
for 3DS Max, (a fellow artists uses that) and as yet have seen nothing
that comes close to the speed and user friendlyness of that.
ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Thanks in advance

G. McCormick
3D GFX Artist,
Beyond Reality Ltd.,
England

[...]

Post by Mark Osborn » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello Graham

I think its a great plugin.

It does have real time previews although these are in a window in a
dialog box rather than in the layout window.

You can download a demo version from the web site:
http://www.dynamic-realities.com

It well worth doing this because although you can't save anything you'll
be able to create particle systems and see how well the previews run on
your system.

If you don't already know, 'Particle Storm Lite' is included with the
next version of LightWave. Have a look at the specs on the Newtek
website.

Anyway, as I said, great plugin - I would certainly recommend it.

Mark

> Hi there I am a professional graphics artist for a computer games
> company in sunny old England, i have currently been using Lightwave 3d
> for about 6 years. For my next project i have to do water, but to be
> more specific the wake and spray a boat would leave in the water! I am
> currently using a Integraph quad p200 pro, with a top of the range
> Firestorm open GL card. It has come to my attention that Dynamic
> Realities Particle Storm plugin is rather good! I have read up on this
> and can see that it gives you the option to see the particles in REAL
> TIME? I need feedback of anyone who has bought this plugin to let me
> know if it really is REAL TIME. I have seen a demo of the sparks
> plugin but that is far to slow even on a high end system like mine!!!!
> If anyone has actually bought this plugin, could they please reply via
> here or email and let me know if this is the right plugin for me to
> purchase... ie if its fast etc etc. I have seen the particle plugins
> for 3DS Max, (a fellow artists uses that) and as yet have seen nothing
> that comes close to the speed and user friendlyness of that.
> ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED
> Thanks in advance

> G. McCormick
> 3D GFX Artist,
> Beyond Reality Ltd.,
> England

Particle Storm plugin for lightwave 3d version 5.0

Post by Mark Dunaki » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

snip>
I have read up on this

Quote:> and can see that it gives you the option to see the particles in REAL
> TIME? I need feedback of anyone who has bought this plugin to let me
> know if it really is REAL TIME.

====================
Yes this IS in REAL TIME and I TOTALLY LOVE this program. There IS just
one problem. Once you start to use it, you'll find that you play with it
for hours on end :)

Particle Storm plugin for lightwave 3d version 5.0

Post by michae » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Well fortunately LW5.5 has the capability to use objects for reference
(textures,displacement) so you can use the boat as your
displacement-reference as it moves along the water surface.  Excellent
feature. and the new steamer-engine lets you create smoke/mysty type
particle-trails use it in conjunction with PS and you should be getting
amazing results.

Post by Cliff Whitake » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> snip>
> I have read up on this
> > and can see that it gives you the option to see the particles in REAL
> > TIME? I need feedback of anyone who has bought this plugin to let me
> > know if it really is REAL TIME.
> ====================
> Yes this IS in REAL TIME and I TOTALLY LOVE this program. There IS just
> one problem. Once you start to use it, you'll find that you play with it
> for hours on end :)

Have you ever had problems replacing particles with objects?  I can't
get this to work without crashing layout.  Even Dynamic Realities
tech-support hasn't been able to help, though they are very prompt to
respond.

--
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."
                                        Bill Hicks

Cliff Whitaker
Animator |
http://www.magic-media.com

Post by Mark Dunaki » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> > snip>
> > Yes this IS in REAL TIME and I TOTALLY LOVE this program. There IS just
> > one problem. Once you start to use it, you'll find that you play with it
> > for hours on end :)

> Have you ever had problems replacing particles with objects?  I can't
> get this to work without crashing layout.  Even Dynamic Realities
> tech-support hasn't been able to help, though they are very prompt to
> respond.

===========================
Yes I did have this problem once. But your not going to like my answer.
See, I don't remember what I did to correct the problem. But I do know
that it was something really dumb. I think it had something to do with
where I was saving my .pms files or something like that. Or I was
up of my original scene. And I kept reading and rereading the manual and
still couldn't get it right. I was really pissed off. How's about if I
do a quik scene and email it to you and you can see if it works. Let me
know if you want me to try that? Maybe we can get it figured out...md :)

1. A nifty plugin for Lightwave 4.0 or 5.0 (Intel, Alpha, Amiga, and SGI versions)

Oops!  I forgot to mention, the effect of Surface Effectors can
also be modulated using a fully animateable fractal noise texture
(by animateable, I mean rotateable, scaleable, and moveable during
the course of an animation).

-- Prem
Prem Subrahmanyam

Programmer, graphics designer, fossil nut extraordinaire.
http://dev.uol.com/~prem/index.html

"Have you seen my graptolites today?" -
http://dev.uol.com/~prem/fossil.html
Eye Candy - http://dev.uol.com/~prem/graphics.html

Member of "Dogbert's New Ruling Class"
Official Title: Minister of Lightwave 3d Plugin Design Foolishness

"Often the greatest testimonies of victory come not from battles won
with little resistance, but from victories won against overwhelming
opposition."

2. mpeg

3. Problem with Particle Storm Lite Plugin

4. Decreasing Spiral ?

5. req, Particle Storm complete version

6. Animated GIF's?

7. Current Versions of Impact and Particle Storm?

8. Special L6 pricing at SIGGRAPH?

9. Problem with Particle Storm in LightWave

10. FS Lightwave V5 and Particle Storm

11. lightwave 6 and particle storm 2 se

12. FS:Lightwave 5.6 - Particle Storm full - Impact - Lock&Key - Puppet Master

13. LightWave 5.5 and Particle Storm Lite