Opening Max 5 files in Max 4

Post by <laeeqchaud.. » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:16:01

Hello can anyone help?

I am a newbie at this and apologise in advance for any stupid questions I
may ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated, I've got deadline for
fri and I've got an animation of an interior of a bus to do along with 6000
word report!! I have two questions,

1. Is it possible to open Max 5.1 files in max 4?

2. Is it possible to save a file as  max 4 file in 3DS max 5.1 so I can
avoid this problem in the future?

Any help would just be fantastic!! grovel, grovel

Please cc a reply to the following address aswell

Thanks

Raf

Opening Max 5 files in Max 4

Post by Henr » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:18:34

You can save/export a max5 file as .3ds format (the original 3dstudio file
format), though you may loose some information. Not sure if there is a
better way.

> Hello can anyone help?

> I am a newbie at this and apologise in advance for any stupid questions I
> may ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated, I've got deadline for
> fri and I've got an animation of an interior of a bus to do along with
6000
> word report!! I have two questions,

> 1. Is it possible to open Max 5.1 files in max 4?

> 2. Is it possible to save a file as  max 4 file in 3DS max 5.1 so I can
> avoid this problem in the future?

> Any help would just be fantastic!! grovel, grovel

> Please cc a reply to the following address aswell

> Thanks

> Raf

Opening Max 5 files in Max 4

Post by stefke » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:55:26

search for the "backfromfive" script from Borislav Petrov (aka bobo)

stefkeB

> You can save/export a max5 file as .3ds format (the original 3dstudio file
> format), though you may loose some information. Not sure if there is a
> better way.

> > Hello can anyone help?

> > I am a newbie at this and apologise in advance for any stupid questions
> > may ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated, I've got deadline
for
> > fri and I've got an animation of an interior of a bus to do along with
> 6000
> > word report!! I have two questions,

> > 1. Is it possible to open Max 5.1 files in max 4?

> > 2. Is it possible to save a file as  max 4 file in 3DS max 5.1 so I can
> > avoid this problem in the future?

> > Any help would just be fantastic!! grovel, grovel

> > Please cc a reply to the following address aswell

> > Thanks

> > Raf

1. how do u open a .MAX File?

  If it really is a 3D Studio Max file it is NOT just an image file. It is
a 3D scene description file. There is an enourmous difference between the
.max file format and your typical image file formats. There is only one
program besides 3D Studio Max that I know of that will read .max files
and it's only purpose if to convert it from .max format into other 3D
file formats so that other 3D programs can use the 3D modelling information
that is contained within the .max file. Since this other program costs
maga buck too and will not render an image for you I doubt that is what
you want.
 You may wish instead to try to find someone with 3D Stduio Max and have
them render an image from the file for you. It is the only solution to
your problem that I can think of off hand other thatn you going out and
buying the program yourself.

--
Ken Tyler -  1200+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

2. Work

3. problems opening max files

4. Problem with SetCursorPos

5. MAX: File Open Failed

6. Which book for Character Studio?

7. problems with opening max files off a novell server

8. HELP: My SoTransformBoxManip SCALES!

9. Opening a .Max file without 3DS????

10. opening "old" max-files

12. read max 3 file in max 2?

13. Help: problem with converting 3ds max animation data to 3ds max ACII file format