3D package?

Post by Drew » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:35:24

I am in the budget to purchace a 3D modeling package. I've been looking at
3DS Max 5.1, Maya Unlimited and Lightwave. This is for learning purposes,
more or less. Will alot of skills carry over from one program to another? Or
will I need to devote myself to one or another. If I model something in 3DS
Max can I import it in... say... Maya? Any programs that will make the file
conversion? I am looking for the most widely used program in the
marketplace. I don't wanna learn 3DS if employers want Maya expereince or
visa versa. That's my main concern. As for features... I am seen images
created with all of them and they all see to be worth their weight in gold.

3D package?

Post by sonic.blad » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:09:58

In my opinion Max and Cinema 4D are the programes that are the best
programms
to get started and and do professional work with them later on.

I have played around a bit with Maya, Lightwave and XSI as well but i
couldnt
get used to the user Interface as fast as in Max/C4D-->lost
motivation-->gave up :-(

Everything you learn in one of those programs will help you when
learn&understand another one later!
Most of the basic functions are just using different Inerfaces and slightly
different names, the
underlying mathematical concepts are allmost the same in every prog.

file conversion is generally very tricky in 3d-software because every
company has their one
file format and most of them are not willing to share the specification.
Another point is that the programs are using sligthly different aproaches
for objects
different from static meshes and for some animation features (morphing,
IK,...)

jm2c
sonic

Quote:> I am in the budget to purchace a 3D modeling package. I've been looking at
> 3DS Max 5.1, Maya Unlimited and Lightwave. This is for learning purposes,
> more or less. Will alot of skills carry over from one program to another?
Or
> will I need to devote myself to one or another. If I model something in
3DS
> Max can I import it in... say... Maya? Any programs that will make the
file
> conversion? I am looking for the most widely used program in the
> marketplace. I don't wanna learn 3DS if employers want Maya expereince or
> visa versa. That's my main concern. As for features... I am seen images
> created with all of them and they all see to be worth their weight in
gold.

1. Extreme 3D/other 3D packages

I am looking into purchasing a new 3D graphics program. My current
platform is Truespace 2, which is fantastic except for 2 major failures:
It will not effectively let you optimize the animation output data rate
for incorporation onto CD Rom. In addition, it's architecture makes it
sluggish under Windows NT, which is a problem for big renderings. I have
looked into Macromedia Extreme 3D, but their web site gives no real
technical information, just a lot of buzzwords and introductory info.

I need to know things like : Does it do effective 3D booleans? What
kinds of 3D extrusion techniques does it use. Raytracing?

The project at hand involves creating walk-throughs of industrial
facilities.

I am interested in your opinions. Although it would be ideal to stay in
the under $500 range (academic pricing) I realize it may be necessary to
step up. If you have info about Extreme 3D, or any other package which
can be considered an upgrade to truespace,(Lightwave, etc) please give
me your opinions. Thanks in advance.

--
John D. Kaminsky
http://watt.seas.virginia.edu/jdk2r/

2. How to close a polygon ?

3. Is Active Dimensions 3 a good 3D package?

4. Realflow

5. which 3d package should I get?

6. Wacom driver= Aaaargh ! Crash !

7. Lightwave compared to other 3D packages...suggestions?

8. Which 3D packages are missing from this list?

9. Which 3D package ?

10. Next generation 3D package.

11. best 3d package

12. 3D-Package