MAX corrupting files during save - now I can't render - Autodeck you better reply!!!!

MAX corrupting files during save - now I can't render - Autodeck you better reply!!!!

Post by kev.. » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am getting an error message when trying to render.

Object <Editable Mesh> Has a mesh with invalid texture vertex indices - can't render.

I have had this problem a few times in the past and had to go through
and render each object indivualy until I found which object it could
not render, Then I had to re-create that object.

I could not figure out why I was getting this error until now.

I was working on a scene and rendered it just fine. Then I saved the scene
and made one small change to a volumetric light, after that I tried to
render and it again and got the error message and then was kicked out of MAX.

So I rebooted and started MAX and reopend the scene and went to render
and got the message again. I am assuming the scene got corrupted on the save.

I am running on a pentuim 90 with 64 Megs of ram and using Win 95.
and I am using MAX 1.2, the latest.

Please help me in resolving the problem. If this is for some reason my
fault let me know. If not please see what you can do to fix this.

Thank you,
Kevin Pohlgeers

Post by Brian Rudol » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I am getting an error message when trying to render.
>Object <Editable Mesh> Has a mesh with invalid texture vertex indices - can't render.
>I have had this problem a few times in the past and had to go through
>and render each object indivualy until I found which object it could
>not render, Then I had to re-create that object.
>I could not figure out why I was getting this error until now.
>I was working on a scene and rendered it just fine. Then I saved the scene
>and made one small change to a volumetric light, after that I tried to
>render and it again and got the error message and then was kicked out of MAX.
>So I rebooted and started MAX and reopend the scene and went to render
>and got the message again. I am assuming the scene got corrupted on the save.
>I am running on a pentuim 90 with 64 Megs of ram and using Win 95.
>and I am using MAX 1.2, the latest.
>Please help me in resolving the problem. If this is for some reason my
>fault let me know. If not please see what you can do to fix this.
>Thank you,
>Kevin Pohlgeers

Kevin,

If you can give me a set of steps that will enable me to recreate the
problem, please forward them to me so I can test this out.

Or, if you have a mesh that will repeatedly demonstrate the problem
(going from good to bad) you can forward that to me.

Without one of those two things, I would guess that it is something
specific to your system, as I have not heard of this occurring on a
regular basis. have you done system diagnostics including hard disk
and hard disk controllers?

-Brian
_________________________________
Brian Rudolph
Autodesk/Kinetix Product Support

---------------------------------

Post by kev.. » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >I am getting an error message when trying to render.

> >Object <Editable Mesh> Has a mesh with invalid texture vertex indices - can't render.

> >I have had this problem a few times in the past and had to go through
> >and render each object indivualy until I found which object it could
> >not render, Then I had to re-create that object.

> >I could not figure out why I was getting this error until now.

> >I was working on a scene and rendered it just fine. Then I saved the scene
> >and made one small change to a volumetric light, after that I tried to
> >render and it again and got the error message and then was kicked out of MAX.

> >So I rebooted and started MAX and reopend the scene and went to render
> >and got the message again. I am assuming the scene got corrupted on the save.

> >I am running on a pentuim 90 with 64 Megs of ram and using Win 95.
> >and I am using MAX 1.2, the latest.

> >Please help me in resolving the problem. If this is for some reason my
> >fault let me know. If not please see what you can do to fix this.

> >Thank you,
> >Kevin Pohlgeers

> Kevin,

> If you can give me a set of steps that will enable me to recreate the
> problem, please forward them to me so I can test this out.

> Or, if you have a mesh that will repeatedly demonstrate the problem
> (going from good to bad) you can forward that to me.

> Without one of those two things, I would guess that it is something
> specific to your system, as I have not heard of this occurring on a
> regular basis. have you done system diagnostics including hard disk
> and hard disk controllers?

> -Brian
> _________________________________
> Brian Rudolph
> Autodesk/Kinetix Product Support

> ---------------------------------

Thank you for your quick response. I also apologise for the demanding
subject title I just got frustrated with the errors.
I do not exact procedures for recreating the error. However I
have encountered it again. I just hit the reset button and
rebooted and it rendered fine after that. I am thinking it
has something to do with not having enough memory. the size
of the scene I am working in is 17MB. I guess I just need to
break down and get NT 4.0.

I also have another major problem I am wandering if you are
aware of.
I am using a Matrox Millenium 2MB,
and when I am in the material editor, I go to get material
from Material Library an when I scroll down the list, just
the text descriptions, I get half way down using the scroll bar
and I get a general protection fault.
When I see the details of that, it says:
3DSMAX caused a General Protection Fault in module MGAPD64.DRV

I am using the latest Matrox MGA Drivers for 95, so I think
MAX might not work to well with this.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you.

Post by Brian Rudol » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Thank you for your quick response. I also apologise for the demanding
>subject title I just got frustrated with the errors.
>I do not exact procedures for recreating the error. However I
>have encountered it again. I just hit the reset button and
>rebooted and it rendered fine after that. I am thinking it
>has something to do with not having enough memory. the size
>of the scene I am working in is 17MB. I guess I just need to
>break down and get NT 4.0.

If you don't have enouhg RAM, then MAX and NT should start using
virtual memory. You might want to load some really large files to make
sure this is actually happening.

Quote:>I also have another major problem I am wandering if you are
>aware of.
>I am using a Matrox Millenium 2MB,
>and when I am in the material editor, I go to get material
>from Material Library an when I scroll down the list, just
>the text descriptions, I get half way down using the scroll bar
>and I get a general protection fault.
>When I see the details of that, it says:
>3DSMAX caused a General Protection Fault in module MGAPD64.DRV
>I am using the latest Matrox MGA Drivers for 95, so I think
>MAX might not work to well with this.

I wouldn't think that the MGA driver is causing the problem.
Unfortunately, I think it is more likely that there is some bad video
RAM on the board. HAve you tried running in safe mode?

-BRian

Quote:>If you have any suggestions please let me know.