painfully slow netrendering

Post by Da » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 02:45:30

Hi,

to speed up rendering an animation before the weekend I decided to use
netrender on a tcpip network of 7 computers but have found each
computer is taking up to 8 times longer to render than straight from
max it would have been quicker on one machine.  My initial ideas are
that it may have something to do with the network itself (there's no
switch) or that I've told queue manager to include maps though I
haven't been able to test either yet.

Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers,

Dan

painfully slow netrendering

Post by norma » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 07:49:05

If you are including maps the initial time to start the render can be
excrutiating.

Follow the manual for setting up a common maps directory for your project.
All of the render slaves should write to a common directory. IF you have a
slow network or your slaves are trying to access the output dir and your
network is slow for some reason that could be part of the problem.. If you
have no switch then the slowest device on your net could determione the
speed of the network. If you have a bunch of 100Mbit devices and a 10MBit
DSL modem for instance.. your NIC cards could switch to 10.

just a couple thoughts.

or.. perhaps.. MAX SUX.

nappy

Quote:> Hi,

> to speed up rendering an animation before the weekend I decided to use
> netrender on a tcpip network of 7 computers but have found each
> computer is taking up to 8 times longer to render than straight from
> max it would have been quicker on one machine.  My initial ideas are
> that it may have something to do with the network itself (there's no
> switch) or that I've told queue manager to include maps though I
> haven't been able to test either yet.

> Can anyone shed any light?

> Cheers,

> Dan

painfully slow netrendering

Post by flippe » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 05:04:03

which version of max?
and on which OS...

Dom

Post by Da » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:35:25

> which version of max?
> and on which OS...

> Dom

Max 3.1 and a combination of NT, 2000 and 98 machines..

1. Painfully Slow Processing of Images With Some Third Party Filters

Some plugins take FOREVER to apply their effects to even rather small
images, and can freeze completely.  Two cases in point are the
Xaos Tools "Segmation" filters, and the "Impressionist"  filter (from
the  MS Image Composer v1.5 program).  Reducing the color depth to
16bit (32K) has no effect.  Just wondering......is this a consequence
of poor floating point capabilities of my AMD K6-2 processor
insufficient RAM (I have 128 megs), or too slow a processor (my AMD
is 350mhz)?

2. Using the rgb file library

3. Weight Brush is painfully slow

4. problems with noxtics

5. Illustrator 9 Slow Slow Slow

6. Demo FX in Game

7. slow, slow, slow

8. Free Online Imaging Tools!

9. canvas->pixel is slow slow slow...

10. JPEG + DELPHI = sloooow, slow slow slow

11. NetRendering on Peer-to-Peer Network?

12. installing netrendering

13. Problems with LenzFX MAX with Netrendering