Importing 3D STUDIO model files into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT ?

Importing 3D STUDIO model files into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT ?

Post by Johann van der Schij » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

I would like to enquire about the possibility of importing 3D STUDIO model
files into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT.

For SOFTIMAGE 3D there is a plugin available from Minerva Custom Effects
called "3DS2Soft". It states:
"The 3DS2Soft effect lets you import 3D STUDIO model files into SOFTIMAGE
3D. The result is a hierarchy of SOFTIMAGE 3D meshes with any local
material correctly assigned." (Minerva Custom Effects User's Manual,
p.110)

Is anything similar available for ALIAS/WAVEFRONT ? I can't seem to find
any information in the user's manuals.

I know it is possible to import files from 3D STUDIO into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT
as DXF as well as IGES files.
However from past experience, trying to import model files from STRATA
STUDIO (Macintosh) to 3D STUDIO (PC) it created a lot of problems: lost of
detail; lost of holes and undercuts; lost of animation paths; lost of
textures.

Also in WIRED, April 1996, p. 178, "Cameron Angle", James Cameron States:
"At Digital Domein  we're actually using lower-cost platforms, just PCs
basically, to do a lot of preliminary modeling, texture mapping, and bump
mapping before we ship it up to the SGIs' which have the higher cost-rate
for animation."

How do they do it? Please give advice.

Thank you in anticipation for your time and assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Johann van der Schijff
--
Groningen
The Netherlands

WWW: http://www.media-gn.nl/people/johannvdS/index.html

Post by Brian Rudol » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

>I would like to enquire about the possibility of importing 3D STUDIO model
>files into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT.
>For SOFTIMAGE 3D there is a plugin available from Minerva Custom Effects
>called "3DS2Soft". It states:
>"The 3DS2Soft effect lets you import 3D STUDIO model files into SOFTIMAGE
>3D. The result is a hierarchy of SOFTIMAGE 3D meshes with any local
>material correctly assigned." (Minerva Custom Effects User's Manual,
>p.110)
>Is anything similar available for ALIAS/WAVEFRONT ? I can't seem to find
>any information in the user's manuals.
>I know it is possible to import files from 3D STUDIO into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT
>as DXF as well as IGES files.
>However from past experience, trying to import model files from STRATA
>STUDIO (Macintosh) to 3D STUDIO (PC) it created a lot of problems: lost of
>detail; lost of holes and undercuts; lost of animation paths; lost of
>textures.
>Also in WIRED, April 1996, p. 178, "Cameron Angle", James Cameron States:
>"At Digital Domein  we're actually using lower-cost platforms, just PCs
>basically, to do a lot of preliminary modeling, texture mapping, and bump
>mapping before we ship it up to the SGIs' which have the higher cost-rate
>for animation."
>How do they do it? Please give advice.

>Thank you in anticipation for your time and assistance.
>Yours sincerely,
>Johann van der Schijff
>--
>Groningen
>The Netherlands

>WWW: http://www.media-gn.nl/people/johannvdS/index.html

Try talking to these people:

Syndesis Corporation
235 South Main Street
Jefferson, WI 53549 USA
(414) 674-5200
(414) 674-6363 FAX

http://www.webmaster.com/syndesis/
SIGGRAPH 96 Booth 2334

**********************************
Brian Rudolph
Autodesk Product Support - Multimedia

**********************************

Post by illum.. » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

>I would like to enquire about the possibility of importing 3D STUDIO model
>files into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT.
>For SOFTIMAGE 3D there is a plugin available from Minerva Custom Effects
>called "3DS2Soft". It states:
>"The 3DS2Soft effect lets you import 3D STUDIO model files into SOFTIMAGE
>3D. The result is a hierarchy of SOFTIMAGE 3D meshes with any local
>material correctly assigned." (Minerva Custom Effects User's Manual,
>p.110)
>Is anything similar available for ALIAS/WAVEFRONT ? I can't seem to find
>any information in the user's manuals.
>I know it is possible to import files from 3D STUDIO into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT
>as DXF as well as IGES files.
>However from past experience, trying to import model files from STRATA
>STUDIO (Macintosh) to 3D STUDIO (PC) it created a lot of problems: lost of
>detail; lost of holes and undercuts; lost of animation paths; lost of
>textures.
>Also in WIRED, April 1996, p. 178, "Cameron Angle", James Cameron States:
>"At Digital Domein  we're actually using lower-cost platforms, just PCs
>basically, to do a lot of preliminary modeling, texture mapping, and bump
>mapping before we ship it up to the SGIs' which have the higher cost-rate
>for animation."
>How do they do it? Please give advice.

>Thank you in anticipation for your time and assistance.
>Yours sincerely,
>Johann van der Schijff
>--
>Groningen
>The Netherlands

>WWW: http://www.media-gn.nl/people/johannvdS/index.html

Check out the Alias news group > com.graphics.apps.alias

Someone in there mentioned taking 3DS stuff into Alias

good luck

jacob :)