Will 3dsPRO kill Lightwave?

Post by Jeff Jaspe » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> AutoDesk never claimed to be shipping BiPed with MAX, they didn't even
> develop BiPed. AutoDesk is STILL throwing in a whole group of the Yost
> disks into 3DS including lens flares, glows, highlights, optimize and
> many more, plus all the new features specific to MAX. 3DS has the same
> plug-in support that Lightwave does, if not better. Currently there are
> well over two hundred plug-ins for 3DS, and most companies will have
> their MAX plug-ins ready by the time it ships.

> >    Well if they got away with it with 3DS(they did, still are) why is it
> >    Assinine to think they can't with Max. With all the raving on how good it
> >    is, my guess is they will have no problem. Lightwave is easy , powerfull
> >     and still very young in the 3D market. Gee I don't see 3DsPro, 3DsSpeed,
> >    our any other equivalents to LWPro, LightSpeed out there. I do see tons
> >    of books but figure they are needed to support the large pirate market.
> >    With Plugin capability(of course 3.5 Amiga still waiting) in 4.0, growing
> >     3rd party support and still cost effective I think LW will manage to stay
> >    alive. But then again theres always a herd of sheep willing to run over
> >    the cliff :-)

> AutoDesk isn't getting away with anything, they have always been very
> vocal about letting 3rd party groups worry about plug-ins. It is getting
> a lot of rave reviews cause in in Beta it looks like an incredible
> program. Lightwave is far from being young in the animation market, hell
> when did Toaster first come out, wasn't it before 3DS? There is a huge
> wealth of 3DS stuff on tape and has been for a while now. Don't tapes
> serve the same purpose as books when it comes to pirates learning how to
> use their cracked versions? Now that Lightwave is on the PC you will,
> and probably already have seen an increase in the number of posts
> looking for Lightwave cracks. I see NewTek thriveing with Lightwave well
> into the immediate future, but I hardly think users of other programs
> are sheep. I have never had the urge to graze while using Alias.

> Jeff

just thought you 3DS people may find this interesting too, I have been
in this conversation with Wavers for a while on the subject.

Jeff

Will 3dsPRO kill Lightwave?

Post by leimber.. » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

 This was my post that Jeff dragged over from the Lightwave group.

|>With Plugin capability(of course 3.5 Amiga still waiting) in 4.0, growing
|> 3rd party support and still cost effective I think LW will
|>manage to stay
|>>  alive. But then again theres always a herd of sheep willing to
|>run over the cliff :-)
 Notice the puntuation at the end of the above sentence ? This was a bit
 of levity on my part. Remember we were posting to the LW group, and the
 original thred was pretty useless at best. When I tire of these things
 I tend to jump in. Am I sorry ? of course not! I do fear Jeff is right
 about cracks for LW(already seen some mentioned). Now I DO look at the
 books on the shelf and many are at levels that I can see benefiting
 the experienced user, much as the tapes I get from Lightspeed. However
  I also see those that tell you how to start the program !  To my knowledge
  the mag I see as being the best for 3dS users is 3D Artist. It offers
  excellent tutorials on a variety of 3D programs but is not exclusivly
  3DS. Also remember that I was responding to a person that was complaining
   about Autodesk getting away with something. Well they have been sucessful
  with 3rd party support, an I imagine LW will also get more. Is NewTek
  getting away with something ? As for rave reviews, well those were my
   words. If Autodesk was sucessfull with 3DS and the reviews for MAx are
  as I say, then why should anybody expect anything else.

|>just thought you 3DS people may find this interesting too, I have been
|>
|>Jeff
  And it was getting stale . As a LW user I do have an interest in 3D
 and before LW I used Imagine(have 4.0 upgrade) and only had a casual
 interest in 3DS as I have always been an Amiga user. In all honesty
 when I do get a Pentium(can't afford that much less an Alpha) I most
 likely would spend my money on a PVR as opposed to another 3D program.
  in the past I made efforts to use Essence to generate textures for
 a 3DS user on this list, so I am more than just a lurker. Problem is
 that for awhile the my dog is bigger than your dog gest to you if you
 read more than one list. I am always amazed that someone will ask which
 3D program is best. Human nature I will tell you it's the one I use because
 this is the one I know more about. As we can see Jeff is an Alias user.
 Here is a program that interest me as a 3D user but is not priced to even
 entice me to look into. This is not a shot at Alias, I read Cinefex and
 have seen it's capabilities but it's like the house on the hill. Nice to
 admire but not for me today.

 -bill
 BTW From what I could tell when reading about the ipas routines from hte YOSt
  GROUP, I was under the impression they are affillated with Autodesk.

1. Will 3dsPRO kill Lightwave? NEWTEKS KILL

CS> S> In both 3DS's and LW's cases, it would be possible to retain the
CS> S> net renderer as a 32-bit DOS app, while leaving the GUI as a Windows
CS> S> app.  This leverages the speed of DOS and the cost of memory on net
CS> S> rendering machines that is devoted to WinNT instead of rendering.

CS>      That would be a wonderful thing. I don't have enough ram in one
CS> of my machines (by a hair) and it sits idle when rendering complex
CS> scenes. ANYTHING to reduce the rather massive NT ram hit would
CS> be a saleable product in my books...

CS> Christopher

CS>      All these people calling each other morons. Well, you're all right.
CS> If
CS> you're stupid enough to crosspost infantile arguments to several
CS> inappropriate
CS> groups, you're certainly a moron, you and your friends. Learn to use your
CS> communications software (and get the hell out of
CS> comp.graphics.animation!).

CS> Best wishes on a smarter new year (after the brain transplant).

CS>                 **********************************************

CS>       Soup      *      http://www.islandnet.com/~dretch      *      WWW
CS>    Animation    *   Home of the Lightwave 3D Search Engine   *    Training
CS>                 **********************************************

So what's this guy's problem anyway?????

2. this is the best flash site i've ever seen!!!

3. Will 3dsPRO kill Lightwave?

4. Microtech Scanning Plug-in Tip

5. Kill, kill, kill the bones.....

6. !!TWISTER PROGRAM!!?

7. Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

8. anyone willing to sell intuitive 3d license??!!

9. Willing to learn

10. Willing to pay for online help

11. Willing to exchange!

12. Help need for watercolor plugin, willing to pay