Flicker When Rendering Still Images to SVHS tape using PVR

Flicker When Rendering Still Images to SVHS tape using PVR

Post by Eric Loma » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Here's my system:
Dual Pent Pro 200
128 Megs Ram
Elsa Gloria-L Glint +delta 500tx 16megs
DPS PVR video recorder with dedicated external 9gig hardrive
(the PVR is connect to my video monitor with the S-Video connector
because I haven't had the chance to get the RGB cables yet)
Sony SVHS recorder
3d Studio MAX, Photoshop 4.0, Speed Razor 3.5 etc.

I have an underwater animation that looks great on tape (I'm loving this
pvr card) but I have a still image that flickers on the screen before
and after putting it on tape.  I've noticed that it flickers especially
bad with bright colors, but the over-all image flickers all the time.  I
was wondering how people put computer graphics to video without getting
this effect.  I rendered my image as a 24-bit TGA in NTSC standard
resolution (720x480).  I placed the image in Speed Razor 3.5 and
stretched it out for about 3 seconds. The only thing I can figure is
that TV moniters don't have a fast enough refrest rate.  Or maybe there
is some kind of problem with resolution.

Is there something I should do to my image before putting on the PVR
hard drive or is there anything I could do in software such as Speed
Razor 3.5?  I realize there are probably very few people with the same
setup as me, but this must be a fairly common problem when putting
computer graphics to tape.  Any help with be greatly appreciated.
(actually if you have a similar setup we should keep in contact and I
will share some of the tricks and methods which I have discovered)

Eric Lomas
VP Animation
Righteous Renderings

Post by Brian Rudol » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Here's my system:
>Dual Pent Pro 200
>128 Megs Ram
>Elsa Gloria-L Glint +delta 500tx 16megs
>DPS PVR video recorder with dedicated external 9gig hardrive
>(the PVR is connect to my video monitor with the S-Video connector
>because I haven't had the chance to get the RGB cables yet)
>Sony SVHS recorder
>3d Studio MAX, Photoshop 4.0, Speed Razor 3.5 etc.
>I have an underwater animation that looks great on tape (I'm loving this
>pvr card) but I have a still image that flickers on the screen before
>and after putting it on tape.  I've noticed that it flickers especially
>bad with bright colors, but the over-all image flickers all the time.  I
>was wondering how people put computer graphics to video without getting
>this effect.  I rendered my image as a 24-bit TGA in NTSC standard
>resolution (720x480).  I placed the image in Speed Razor 3.5 and
>stretched it out for about 3 seconds. The only thing I can figure is
>that TV moniters don't have a fast enough refrest rate.  Or maybe there
>is some kind of problem with resolution.
>Is there something I should do to my image before putting on the PVR
>hard drive or is there anything I could do in software such as Speed
>Razor 3.5?  I realize there are probably very few people with the same
>setup as me, but this must be a fairly common problem when putting
>computer graphics to tape.  Any help with be greatly appreciated.
>(actually if you have a similar setup we should keep in contact and I
>will share some of the tricks and methods which I have discovered)
>Eric Lomas
>VP Animation
>Righteous Renderings

your comment about bright colors seems especially relevant.  The
colors that can display on your RGB computer monitor as crisp and
vibrant colors, can not always display on your NTSC monitor. You might
be creating what are known as "illegal" NTSC colors...colors that are
too rich or vibrant for the NTSC system to handle. If you cut down on
the intensity (lumninance) of these colors, you might see better
results on the NTSC monitor.

-Brian
_________________________________
Brian Rudolph
Autodesk/Kinetix Product Support

Flicker When Rendering Still Images to SVHS tape using PVR

Post by iVAN » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Brian Rudolph wrote about its "flicker"

Try when render to use render to fields then on Premiere(Razor) also choose
fields. Try differnt combination.

--
iVAN

"Let's force be with you"