Release 2 won't run under Win 95

Post by Shawn Park » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

You can do it, but you need to create basically a "PIF".  Make a shortcut
and edit the properties to run in a dos session and don't load emm386.
Himem is required.

SP

Release 2 won't run under Win 95

Post by Matz » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

as i remember the pharlap shell from r2 wasnt "DPMI" compatible,
whatever it is, it means theres no way to work with windows.

If i am wrong (could be) try to set device=C:\3ds2\pharlap.386
in the [386Enh] Section of windows system.ini
this is the way to run r3.

>Does anyone know what is going on here?  I upgraded to Win 95 and can no longer run 3d Studio.  I keep getting
>this message.  Phar Lap err 35:The 386 chip is currently executing in virtual 8086 mode under the control of
>another program.  You must turn off this other program to use 386:Dos-Extender to run in protected mode...
>I am using a Pentium 90 system with 48 Meg Ram.  Release 2 of 3d Studio.  All suggestions are apprecieated.
>Thank You,
>Wallace Carey

Release 2 won't run under Win 95

Post by Alexander Bical » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Sorry,

As far as Im concerned, 3DS R2 is working under an old version of the
PharLap memory manager, which didnt allow DPMI memory usage. Its the
same as ACAD12 c0.
If you get to run the software, please tell us you did and how.

Good Luck!

Post by Abraham Lewi » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> As far as Im concerned, 3DS R2 is working under an old version of the
> PharLap memory manager, which didnt allow DPMI memory usage. Its the
> same as ACAD12 c0.
> If you get to run the software, please tell us you did and how.

Simply install Win95 dual boot, retaining your old DOS and run R2 in
there.  It should work just fine.

  Abraham K. Lewis
  Jupiter, Florida

Post by Abraham Lewi » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> :>Simply install Win95 dual boot, retaining your old DOS and run R2 in
> :>there.  It should work just fine.
> You don't need to install dual boot.
> to get 3DS to run, select Shutdown from the Start menu, then select MSDOS
> Mode.  Once you see the DOS prompt, 3DS will run. Or, when the computer b=
oots,
> after the beep, press F8 to bring up the boot options, and select Command
> Prompt.=20

< Good stuff snipped for space >

Quote:> We still use R2, and these methods work just fine.

The method you describe *is* a dual boot.  Note that 3DS will *not*
work if you simply go to a DOS session from within Win95.  There were some
difficulties with DOS 7 and R3 and R4 which may have been ironed out, but
initial recommendations were to retain your old DOS (6.2 or so) when
installing Win95 for better compatibility.=20

  Abraham K. Lewis
  Jupiter, Florida

Release 2 won't run under Win 95

Post by cn1.. » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

:>

:>
:>> As far as Im concerned, 3DS R2 is working under an old version of the
:>> PharLap memory manager, which didnt allow DPMI memory usage. Its the
:>> same as ACAD12 c0.
:>> If you get to run the software, please tell us you did and how.
:>
:>Simply install Win95 dual boot, retaining your old DOS and run R2 in
:>there.  It should work just fine.
:>
:>  Abraham K. Lewis
:>  Jupiter, Florida

:>
You don't need to install dual boot.
to get 3DS to run, select Shutdown from the Start menu, then select MSDOS
Mode.  Once you see the DOS prompt, 3DS will run. Or, when the computer boots,
after the beep, press F8 to bring up the boot options, and select Command
Prompt.  If you want to have the computer boot to the DOS prompt all the time,
edit the file MSDOS.SYS and change the number on the BootGui line to 0.
MSDOS.SYS is marked hidden, read-only, and system but is a plain ASCII file
(In previous versions, it's binary executable code).  Use attrib to clear the
attribute bits.

You'll want to install any DOS device drivers in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT
just like in previous versions of DOS.

None of this stops you from running the Win95 GUI.  Just type "Win" at the
prompt, and it loads back up.

We still use R2, and these methods work just fine.

Hope this helps.

The advantage of living near an air strip is that you
get to see lots of airplanes.  The disadvantage of
living near an air strip is that you get to hear lots
of airplanes.

Post by W3 Use » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know what is going on here?  I upgraded to Win 95 and can no longer run 3d Studio.  I keep getting
> this message.  Phar Lap err 35:The 386 chip is currently executing in virtual 8086 mode under the control of
> another program.  You must turn off this other program to use 386:Dos-Extender to run in protected mode...
> I am using a Pentium 90 system with 48 Meg Ram.  Release 2 of 3d Studio.  All suggestions are apprecieated.

> Thank You,
> Wallace Carey

From the whole thread you know already, that you can't run R2 directly
under the GUI of Win95. There are 3 ways to use the program

1.After installing 3DSr2 create a shortcut on your desktop. Start it.
Windows 95 should say that the program cannot be run in this mode, do
you want to set it up for DOS mode? Say Yes. Everytime you click the
icon, Windows will shut down the GUI and restart the machine in DOS
mode. After you quit 3DSr2, WIndows will get restarted automatically.

2.When you start the computer, press F8 right after the system check.
Select "Command prompt only" to let Win95 run in DOS 7 mode. It looks
like DOS, works like DOS, but when you type VER you get "MS Windows 95".

3.As somebody already told, if you still have the option to start your
Old System (DOS 6?), you may use it. (F8 etc.)

I still like the second way, and I use it to start my 3DSr4.
I believe that 3DS needs all resources available, and I work with it
many hours under DOS. I start Win95/NT/3.11 only for Multimedia purposes
(like Animated GIF creation, QuickTime, Photoshop or Netscape sessions)

--
Hope this will help you!

Greetings,

3DJ Bobo
also known as W3-User
Come and find out what's new in VR Boboland!
Every day a new animated GIF logo joins the page...
http://info.tuwien.ac.at/raumsim/vrb/