volume light inside sphere

Post by Marijn Eke » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>i'm trying to create an effect using a volume light inside a sphere. i want
>the light to shine through when the sphere "opens", but the light seems to
>come through anyway creating a constant glow around the closed sphere. i've
>tried flipping the normals and attenuating the lights. everything. i know
>this is possible, i've seen it!  (i'm using max 2.0) thanks.

>timothy

I've had the same problem... Make sure you set cast shadows to ON!!
That should do the trick...

Marijn

volume light inside sphere

Post by timothy rove » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

i'm trying to create an effect using a volume light inside a sphere. i want
the light to shine through when the sphere "opens", but the light seems to
come through anyway creating a constant glow around the closed sphere. i've
tried flipping the normals and attenuating the lights. everything. i know
this is possible, i've seen it!  (i'm using max 2.0) thanks.

timothy

begin 666 Timothy Roven.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"DXZ4F]V96X[5&EM;W1H>0T*1DXZ5&EM;W1H>2!2;W9E

M=R!9;W)K.TY9.S$P,#$S#0I,04)%3#M73U)+.T5.0T]$24Y'/5%53U1%1"U0

M+F-O;0T*14U!24P[4%)%1CM)3E1%4DY%5#IT<F]V96Y 8FQU96AY<&5R;65D

`
end
end

volume light inside sphere

Post by Kaiser Ton » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>i'm trying to create an effect using a volume light inside a sphere. i
want
>>the light to shine through when the sphere "opens", but the light seems to
>>come through anyway creating a constant glow around the closed sphere.
i've
>>tried flipping the normals and attenuating the lights. everything. i know
>>this is possible, i've seen it!  (i'm using max 2.0) thanks.

>>timothy

>I've had the same problem... Make sure you set cast shadows to ON!!
>That should do the trick...

>Marijn

Yeah I had the same problem too, but even when I set cast shadows to on It
still doesn`t work...

I`ve tried producing volumetric fog and shining a light in to it but that
doesn`t seem to work either.

How do you do a cloud burst effect?

KT.

volume light inside sphere

Post by William Peabod » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >>the light to shine through when the sphere "opens", but the light seems to
> >>come through anyway creating a constant glow around the closed sphere.
> i've
> >>tried flipping the normals and attenuating the lights. everything. i know
> >>this is possible, i've seen it!  (i'm using max 2.0) thanks.

Just tried it, works fine.
Bill

volume light inside sphere

Post by BUBB » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> i've

>Just tried it, works fine.
>Bill

He most likely used an omni light in Max 1.2, which does not cast shadows.
If still using max 1.2, use spot lights arranged to look like an omni, takes
around six lights all casting shadow maps to do this in Max 1.2
BUBBA

"Hey Van Gough! HEY! Turn Yer head so you can here me!!"

1. Spheres or blobs (POV) inside a volume defined by 3d points

        Hi!

        I have posted already a similar question, but just to make my
question more precise, I can imagine a latex sphere initially arounbd my set
of 3d points, and then air in pumped out of it so that its volume gets
smaller and smaller to finally stretch tightly around the volume definerd by
thgose points. Some points may be inside, but they are a minority (more a
noise than anything else), and the majority of 3d points define a 2d cover...
how to approximate this volume wuith spheres or blobs????

                                Marc
--
"Error #132: Cannot exit from Windows, try the door"
                Edouard Shtrutsrup, "Jokes only programmers can understand"

2. 3d range image registration/matching

3. Colors won't show or come out wrong shade

4. Volume light through a sphere

5. Request: ISO 8859-1 compatability in POV3.0

6. Volume light thru cracks in a sphere - how!

7. Rendered Scene to Texture

8. Light filtering with volume lights

9. Inside a Polygonal Volume

10. FS: Inside 3D Studio Max Volume One

11. Inside 3D Studio MAX Volume 1

12. Inside 3D Studio Max Volume II Question