Melting - (help) help Help HELP....HEEEEEELP! (pleez)

Melting - (help) help Help HELP....HEEEEEELP! (pleez)

Post by D.S. » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: ok...if anyone out there is into advenced 3d studio version 4
:                                                     ^^^^^^^^^

: can you pleeeez help me?

: I need to make a man out of ice!
: He'll have to walk up to a fire to get warm and then he'll melt!

<snip>

: I want the man to look exactly like as if he was made out of melting
: ice!
: Ice properties - crystal clear and shiny and diamondy type of look!
: Eventually turning to clear water.

: Also most important...how do i make this material, distort the light
: like ice does...eg. transperant but like a lense.

: I have tried making the man out of a Glass material - ITS HORRIBLE
: nothing like what I'm aiming for.

: The biggest problem is that every time I make an object out of a
: transperant material, it ends up looking hollow!

3DSr4, given it lacks true raytracing capabilities out of the box,
tends to make "thin" looking glass and transparent materials.
There are a couple tricks you can do to make things look better.
Recalling some things from the "Glass and Reflection" volume
of the "3D Studio Tips and Trick" book series, one thing is to
add a noisy extra reflection (and possibly shininess) map.  This
tends to add extra "fake" highlights all over the surface.  To
make the glass look thicker, you may need to place multiple
layered slightly-transparent faces behind each other.

From personal experience, I've occasionally gotten better results
using metal shading, with lower-than-I'd-initially-think
transparency.  Oh, and a little self-illumination usually
doesn't hurt either.

Play with the material editor -- it comes down to tweaking
the settings to get a good fake glass or ice material.

==========

        "Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so,
         it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic."
                                                -Tweedledum
==========

Post by DSM » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

ok...if anyone out there is into advenced 3d studio version 4
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^

can you pleeeez help me?

I need to make a man out of ice!
He'll have to walk up to a fire to get warm and then he'll melt!

Now, Ive already made him walk, he turned out very good looking too!
(just like me)

So How the hell do I...

1) Make him melt - I was thinking on the idea of using 3ds morphing

and

2) Make him out of ice material

about 2)

I want the man to look exactly like as if he was made out of melting
ice!
Ice properties - crystal clear and shiny and diamondy type of look!
Eventually turning to clear water.

Also most important...how do i make this material, distort the light
like ice does...eg. transperant but like a lense.

I have tried making the man out of a Glass material - ITS HORRIBLE
nothing like what I'm aiming for.

The biggest problem is that every time I make an object out of a
transperant material, it ends up looking hollow!

For example, if I made a cube and gave it...say White Glass texture -
when I render that object...instead of looking like a glass cube, it'll
look like a seethrough box which is empty inside and is made out of a
very thin layer of some transperant matter!

Its the same with my MAN object!...when I give it some glass
texture...he's head looks like an empty fishbowl....i want that fish
bowl filled!

How do i do that? and not just to his head but to the whole MOVING body?

Any help welcome!

ThanX

PS. If you turn out to be a real pro and u have the time to answer my
questions...i'd love to get follow through steps of doing the things.