Level of Detail Textures: How to?

Post by Nate Haye » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:51:34

I'm creating an animation where the camera zooms into the Earth, first from
several thousand mile out in space, and ultimately ending up only a few
miles from the surface. I have high-resoultion satelite imagery from
Terrametrics that comes in multiple levels of resolution.

For example, when the camera is way out in space, I'd like to have the low
resolution texture of the whole earth applied to the sphere. Once the camera
zooms into North America, however, I'd like to use a special high-resolution
texture tile of that specific region.

I have a total of about 6 different levels of detail that I'd like to switch
to during the length of the entire animation.

It seems if the Mix material allowed an arbitrary number of materials like
the Composite material does, that would be ideal. Or else if the Composite
material had "mix" values for the different maps. Since neither exists, I'm
thinking I need to create a Mix material, where each map is another Mix
material, etc. That way I form a "tree" of maps and can animate the "mix"
amount based on the camera's distance from the Earth.

I'm wondering, however, if there's a better way to do this?

TIA,

Nate Hayes
Sunfish Studio

Level of Detail Textures: How to?

Post by M. van Viane » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:54:39

Hi, Nate:

One often overlooked feature of Max is animating the Material
Modifier....this might work for your situation. Basically, if you
animate changes of the globe's Material I.D. (frame0=Mat ID 0, frame
100=Mat ID 1, frame 200=Mat ID 2, etc.) and apply a Multi Sub-object
material that has your different resolution maps in the corresponding
Sub-object material map slots, the maps will swap out as desired. There
is no mixing or blending, just an instant change of maps between 2
frames. Maybe try it and let us know how it works.

Rgds,

Mel

> I'm creating an animation where the camera zooms into the Earth, first from
> several thousand mile out in space, and ultimately ending up only a few
> miles from the surface. I have high-resoultion satelite imagery from
> Terrametrics that comes in multiple levels of resolution.

> For example, when the camera is way out in space, I'd like to have the low
> resolution texture of the whole earth applied to the sphere. Once the camera
> zooms into North America, however, I'd like to use a special high-resolution
> texture tile of that specific region.

> I have a total of about 6 different levels of detail that I'd like to switch
> to during the length of the entire animation.

> It seems if the Mix material allowed an arbitrary number of materials like
> the Composite material does, that would be ideal. Or else if the Composite
> material had "mix" values for the different maps. Since neither exists, I'm
> thinking I need to create a Mix material, where each map is another Mix
> material, etc. That way I form a "tree" of maps and can animate the "mix"
> amount based on the camera's distance from the Earth.

> I'm wondering, however, if there's a better way to do this?

> TIA,

> Nate Hayes
> Sunfish Studio

Level of Detail Textures: How to?

Post by J?rg Gerlac » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:11:50

You could simply switch from map to map at certain frames. Create an
ifl-file (using the ifl-file manager in the utilities tab): for every
frame you create a line in this file: line 1 to 100 (=frame 1 to 100)
map 1, line 101 to 200 (=frame 101 to 200) map 2 and so on... Maybe this
works. You can mask the sudden switched with clouds for instance (switch
the maps when you see nothing else than clouds...)

bye

Joerg
-----

--
Resistance is futile...

ICQ# 76697061             www.radioactive3d.de
Member of the WolfPak359  www.wolfpak359.co.uk

1. POVRay: A more detailed verbose-level?

Hi!

I just tried to compile a POV-Ray version which modifies the

"--:--:-- Rendering line y of end.y"

status line into

"--:--:-- Rendering pixel x of end.x, line y of end.y, X PPS".

I...uhm...did not quite achieve what I wanted. I guess, C is not for
people normally using TurboPascal, so I completely messed up the render.c
and did not get any result at all. :-]

So, does anyone here know how I have to modify the render.c-file to get my
result?

I do know, that output of every rendered pixel takes up much performance
and slows down the whole rendering process but in a scene where every
pixel takes up one minute I think this is more helpful than normal output.

Many, many thanks in advance! :-)

---

Garvin              -[= Milla-Fan-Page: http://www.euphora.com/milla/  =]-

2. My first image - please critique!

3. Level Of Detail function

4. stereo with virtual-io-glasses

5. Level Of Detail Reduction

6. 3ds File Format

7. Level of Detail management & betweening

8. Indesign 2.0 question

9. level of detail

10. Level Of Detail Management and Betweening.

11. Level of detail

12. MAXScript & Level of Detail

13. Reducing level of detail